****Official Class of 2017 Recruiting Thread****

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Right. For whatever reason the visits had to be cancelled for Wright (and Sims), it's not a good thing to be missing out on those chances to get some of your top targets to campus. Who knows if we will get another opportunity?

Why would they bring the recruits here when the team isn't here?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Right. For whatever reason the visits had to be cancelled for Wright (and Sims), it's not a good thing to be missing out on those chances to get some of your top targets to campus. Who knows if we will get another opportunity?
The gall of BDJ to die. Their visit wasn't canceled for "whatever" reason.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
The gall of BDJ to die. Their visit wasn't canceled for "whatever" reason.

Ha, give it a break bud. I fully understand why the current players were gone, and why the recruit visits were cancelled. My whole point, again, is that who knows if we will end getting these guys to visit again? While their visit to Ames was cancelled, they are now moving forward with going to other places and could end up losing interest in ISU or committing elsewhere. Just a tough break for ISU not to be able to get visits from a couple of its top targets.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Ha, give it a break bud. I fully understand why the current players were gone, and why the recruit visits were cancelled. My whole point, again, is that who knows if we will end getting these guys to visit again? While their visit to Ames was cancelled, they are now moving forward with going to other places and could end up losing interest in ISU or committing elsewhere. Just a tough break for ISU not to be able to get visits from a couple of its top targets.

Or they might just come later. But hey, CCL is starting, recruiting is tanking, we don't have any scorers for 2017/18, we're by far the luckiest Sweet 16 team in America because we play zero defense, never rebound, and miss every free throw. ISU Basketball is back.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

That's the hardest part for Iowa State is actually getting the guys to visit. It is still baffling to me that a program that has turned into a perennial tournament team and has been the top 25 so long still struggles signing top ranked recruits.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That's the hardest part for Iowa State is actually getting the guys to visit. It is still baffling to me that a program that has turned into a perennial tournament team and has been the top 25 so long still struggles signing top ranked recruits.

Georges, Monte, MT, Custer, Noskowiak, J. Long, Lard...these I would all call "top ranked" as in top 150...for a program based on transfers that also isn't afraid of a JUCO I'd say that's sufficient. Not to mention a very untimely coaching change thrown in there. We've only been re-established for like 4 years nationally.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Would also add with one of the top fan bases. I don't understand either

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Georges, Monte, MT, Custer, Noskowiak, J. Long, Lard...these I would all call "top ranked" as in top 150...for a program based on transfers that also isn't afraid of a JUCO I'd say that's sufficient. Not to mention a very untimely coaching change thrown in there. We've only been re-established for like 4 years nationally.

That's 7 spread out over a 5 year period. There are schools much worse than use that somehow pull in 2-4 of those guys per year, and proceed to do absolutely nothing with them (Oklahoma State, LSU, UNLV, Ohio State..). It just seems like recruiting to ISU should be easier than it currently is.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Lack of a heavy hitter HS recruiter with the exception of TJ's intermittent time here

Those are the main reasons why we've struggled on the HS trail.

If Fred would have stayed, and had he replaced TJ's spot with another proficient HS recruiter, our list would look WAY different.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That's 7 spread out over a 5 year period. There are schools much worse than use that somehow pull in 2-4 of those guys per year, and proceed to do absolutely nothing with them (Oklahoma State, LSU, UNLV, Ohio State..). It just seems like recruiting to ISU should be easier than it currently is.

How are those schools "worse"? 2 southern schools, UNLV, and The OSU. They are draws in themselves, and their recent success is on par or better than ours bar LSU which that school is a destination school for kids from all over the south.

Tell me about MN, Marquette, Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, KSU, etc,...schools that we're akin to.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

I would cross Noskowiak ( no one wanted him because he was a head case) off that list as well as Long and Lard. I consider top ranked recruits top 100 kids on Rivals or at least 4 star kids.

Go look at other schools in the conference that have been good over the last 4 years and look at the high school recruits they are able to get. It is even worse if you look at other conferences. Look at the top 100 recruits on rivals. Here is a sampling of schools that have at least 1 four star recruit in the last class:
Auburn
Alabama
Miss. State
Arizona State
Umass
VCU
Penn State
Minnesota
St. Johns
TCU
Oregon State
Northwestern

You would think ISU would get better recruits than these schools. Heck Washington gets really great recruits and they haven't been to the tournament for probably 5 years. If you want to know why Kansas has dominated the Big 12 look at their recruiting classes compared to the rest of the league. I think it is also why the big 12 has struggled in the tournament. Not enough top end talent.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
How are those schools "worse"? 2 southern schools, UNLV, and The OSU. They are draws in themselves, and their recent success is on par or better than ours bar LSU which that school is a destination school for kids from all over the south.

Tell me about MN, Marquette, Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, KSU, etc,...schools that we're akin to.

UNLV and OSU have recent success that is better than ISU's? No.