MLB: Official Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don’t hate it. You get a slightly better version of Schwarber for a slightly less cost. Just surprised Ricketts found enough money in the couch cushions to make it happen.

This has the feel of the early 2010s Cubs "rehabilitation project on a cheap deal we hope plays well and we can dump at the trade deadline for a few 18 year olds" strategy.

Not that it is a bad strategy, btw.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It was the perfect move for the Cubs, really. You get him on the cheap, but there's enough name recognition that fans think you are still trying. Most probably recognize the name, and forget about the fact he's been pretty poor outside of the Playoffs lately and will fit nicely in our long line of guys with occasional power but an inability to hit for average.

I agree on most of it.
Where I'm not sure is whether Cubs fans are generally angry enough to see through it or not.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Is joc better than schwarbs?

Is more like a push, but slightly cheaper.

This is a bridge year, dump salary, get younger, extend a couple (Javy, Rizzo...maybe KB, Happ) trade or flip others (WC) and will still likely be in the hunt for the Central, which isn’t saying much.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Joc has been a better player than Schwarber over their careers. If they Cubs intend to play Joc in LF then it's almost certainly an upgrade, as Joc's defensive is significantly better than Schwarber in LF. A few of Joc's season have shown suppressed value due to playing a good deal of CF where he's not great.

IMO it's a near wash offensively (you could make an argument either way slightly) and an upgrade defensively.

Reactions: larrysarmy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Joc has been a better player than Schwarber over their careers. If they Cubs intend to play Joc in LF then it's almost certainly an upgrade, as Joc's defensive is significantly better than Schwarber in LF. A few of Joc's season have shown suppressed value due to playing a good deal of CF where he's not great.

IMO it's a near wash offensively (you could make an argument either way slightly) and an upgrade defensively.

Looking at two lackluster careers. The only elite tool either possess is Schwarber's power. Agree doesn't make him a better player but it does the possibility for major productivity where JP gives you below average at best.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
This makes the Lester move really odd now. You could've gotten Lester for like $2 million. wtf?

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's something but the career .230 BA isn't really changing the type of player he is replacing in Schwarbs. They have identical career BA and OBP which Schwarber slightly higher SLG and OBPS, Pederson has 347 more career AB and their career strike outs are almost the same too, 609 for Joc and 591 for Kyle. I look at their career stats and they are almost identical type of hitters in every category when you start to compare the 2.

They needed an OF as it was basically Happ and Heyward and a bunch of nobodies on the roster so he fills a need I guess. Still have a lot of holes in the pitching staff that need addressed. Hopefully some veteran 1 year deals coming on that front soon too.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
When they were selling everything, I really didn't give a **** about Lester, but now I'm just dumbfounded.

Current rotation
1.) Hendricks
2.) Davies
3.) Mills
4.) Alzolay
5.) ???

Guess who fits in perfectly? Jfc. Even if the Pederson signing is to trade him as a rental at the deadline, they could've done the same with Lester! What the **** are they doing? Either suck ass or be elite. No in between.

Reactions: Clonefan32

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
When they were selling everything, I really didn't give a **** about Lester, but now I'm just dumbfounded.

Current rotation
1.) Hendricks
2.) Davies
3.) Mills
4.) Alzolay
5.) ???

Guess who fits in perfectly? Jfc. Even if the Pederson signing is to trade him as a rental at the deadline, they could've done the same with Lester! What the **** are they doing? Either suck ass or be elite. No in between.

We already know they are tanking this season, this roster is not built to win right now even with some bargain level deals and they will be making more trades at some point to dump salary or guys they can't afford to keep long term.

I said it earlier at the very least they need to sign 2 proven veteran SP that can eat up innings at the back end of the rotation. Mills and Alzolay have never pitched a full season of games as a starter in their careers and given Alzolay has battled injuries already in the minors it's pretty foolish to think they can just add some marginal and unproven cheap arms to fill a 4th or 5th spot and make it through the season OK. Injuries are going to happen, after Hendricks and Davies we have no one on the roster right now I have faith in to stay healthy and/or productive enough to start 30 games and eat up at least 6+ innings most days. Mills looked good last season but was that a blimp or a sign he can be a legit everyday guy? If I was given a bet now on if he makes 25+ starts over a 162 game season I would take the under on that and probably under 20 if given the same bet with Alzolay.

Bleacher Nation likes to throw out random thoughts that don't always have much for confirmed interest or sources but they are suggesting possible reunions with Arrietta and the Shark are possible Lukewarm Stove: Shark or Arrieta for Cubs? Mets/Dodgers Battle for Bauer? Hader Asking Price? Arenado Dreaming? More | Bleacher Nation Archer, Folty, and Rodon are possibilities too. Really any of those guys to fill out the backend of the rotation on a 1 year deal needs to happen as it's obvious they will not break the bank on anyone expensive. If they wanted to take on the risk signing Bauer to a 1 year deal with the intent to flip him at the deadline for some top tier prospect would be a way to bring in some prospects but would also come at the expense of having to eat a little bit of salary to do it which the FO obviously is not going to do based on the moves they have made so far.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Current rotation
1.) Hendricks
2.) Davies
3.) Mills
4.) Alzolay
5.) ???

Especially if part of the "strategy" is to get some guys on the cheap and hope you can move them for prospects at the deadline. Lester would fit in perfectly there. Let's say he has a good start to 2021 and at the deadline he's pitching well. He's a guy who'd have good value as a 3-4 starter on a playoff contender given his playoff history.

If he sucks, whatever. He's cheap.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Especially if part of the "strategy" is to get some guys on the cheap and hope you can move them for prospects at the deadline. Lester would fit in perfectly there. Let's say he has a good start to 2021 and at the deadline he's pitching well. He's a guy who'd have good value as a 3-4 starter on a playoff contender given his playoff history.

If he sucks, whatever. He's cheap.

And if the team does suck, Lester carries good will with the fans. He can get a proper farewell with the fans while distracting everyone from the general shittiness of the team.

Plus at like $2 million on a one year deal, I’m guessing he’s gonna be way cheaper than also rans like Arrieta or Shark. Just dumb.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

Current rotation
1.) Hendricks
2.) Davies
3.) Mills
4.) Alzolay
5.) ???

Do they even have any decent starters in AAA or AA? Maybe they plan to use a 3 or 4 man rotation. Some of the moves this offseason have been head scratchers for sure.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
NL Central Hot Stove (unless I missed a signing)

Cubs - $8.5 M
Remainder of Division - $2.2 M

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I actually think the Cubs should look to move on from Baez—-it would destroy the fan base but I think he is replaceable with Hoerner immediately. Obviously, Hoerner isn’t going to hit for power but he would be an ideal #2 hitter. In 5 years of professional ball, he only has 192 strikeouts in 1712 at bats.

I worry that Baez will end up with a larger Hayward contract that doesn’t make sense in the scope of the rebuild. He is my favorite player on the Cubs but his production isn’t going to be worth $30 million a year

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I actually think the Cubs should look to move on from Baez—-it would destroy the fan base but I think he is replaceable with Hoerner immediately. Obviously, Hoerner isn’t going to hit for power but he would be an ideal #2 hitter. In 5 years of professional ball, he only has 192 strikeouts in 1712 at bats.

I worry that Baez will end up with a larger Hayward contract that doesn’t make sense in the scope of the rebuild. He is my favorite player on the Cubs but his production isn’t going to be worth $30 million a year

I get it, but if the Cubs are simply using this year to dump money, get younger and bridge to 2022 where they are under the tax, money to spend on FA...then you need a star or two to build around...Javy fits the bill given his age and popularity in Chicago. I would say KB and Rizz as well, but unsure if that is in the cards.