MLB: Official Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'd like to see the rotation next year with the 2 aces and then move on to the young guys.

Bryant and Schwarber are the 2 pieces that will likely move on.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Just about every single Cub player should be on the trade block. Maybe keep Hendricks and Darvish. They're all washed up. Sad, but true.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

This sure sounds like Theo is going to move on after next season.

Given the current market and diminished trade value of some of the players on the roster I'm starting to think there will be no big moves with the roster once again and either the next person in charge will blow things up and start a new rebuild or be the one who has to try and retool the roster around certain players. Either way this just reeks of another offseason of the status quo and an inevitable gutting of the roster either mid season if they aren't in contention or after 2021 is over. It is just crazy to think how quickly this thing crumbled after the 2016 World Series and many thought this team was destined to put together multiple title runs.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Me, too. I really can't see anyone as a huge hot option.

IMO Cubs will need to take some risks in their off-season moves. It's not like the guys they are willing to trade will automatically bring a sure thing player or prospect.

They may next to take a risk on another teams underwhelming 2020 player in hope that new surroundings resurrect a career. aka JD Martinez or Joey Votto, Trevor Storey, Daniel Murphy. Yasiel Puig or Joey Gallo. In part they need a slugger to play DH.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not too earth shattering or in depth but they touch base on the catching market this offseason and how Contreras could factor into that:

I love the passion Contreras plays with but if the Cubs are looking to restock the system he may be their biggest trade chip and they have depth at the position that if they made the move and made Caratini the primary catcher I don't think they would see much of a fall off at the position. It's already been debated if Caratini is a better catcher when it comes to handling the pitching staff and pitch framing and offensively he may not be the power hitter that Contreras is at times but he's probably less of a free swinger and more of contact hitter.

One of 2 things probably happens this season, they move some pieces in trades where it makes sense and can get a decent return to start the rebuild now or they bring everyone back along with some cheap pieces to fill in the holes in the roster then gut the whole thing when Theo likely leaves after next season. Gut feeling is they stick with the status quo like they have the past few seasons and they let possible new leadership make the big moves after next season. This will be a strange market too after the fallout of a shortened season with less revenues so probably will be less teams willing to take on salary and move cheaper prospects than usual plus some of the Cubs trade chips like Bryant are coming off of down seasons that what team is going to give them a decent prospect in return for an expensive 1 year rental that they don't know what kind of production they will get out of him now.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Hindsight is always 20/20, of course, but Bryant (and Boras) really ****** up. His value is never going to be as good as it was when the Cubs offered him a deal (a good one for him in my eyes) and they turned it down. Stupid.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Going into 2021 with a status quo approach won't work. Sure the Cubs will be competitive, but I think the Cards pitching staff gives them an advantage over a 162 game season if their injured/opt out players come back strong. With the current roster, I don't feel the Cubs are much different than the Reds, Brewers or even Pirates.

I would agree with the article that Contreras is one of the Cubs most valuable trade pieces. Solid hitter, strong arm and under team control for a couple more years.

Whatever moves the Cubs make in the off-season for position players they need to add guys with a good eye for balls and strikes.

I'm not a big fan of trading Kimbrell in the off-season if the Cubs need to pay the bulk of his contract. Would prefer to have 2 closers (Kimbrell & Jeffress) with the trend for managers to use their "closer" in high leverage situations in the 6th-8th innings.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
obviousshirts.com

A guy started his own shirt company back in 2017(?) when he had a friend create a shirt for him saying "Kris Bryant is Good at Baseball" and received a whole bunch of positive feedback. They're running a 40% off sale for just today with the code SPORTS40 at checkout. This brings most of the t-shirts down to $18. And they're the nice, soft quality material. Cheap high quality t-shirts! I happened to get my Cubs fan/history buff husband this one for his birthday.

Thought the Cubs fans on this board would be interested.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Dish has never picked it up but I have to say I was too busy this summer to really miss the games anyways. Caught a few when they were on FOX or ESPN I guess.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Me, too. I really can't see anyone as a huge hot option.

The year is 2030. Cubs leadership takes the podium for a press conference and assures us that Baez, Rizzo, Bryant and Schwarber, as the Cubs core, know that this is the year they have to turn it around or they will have to break the group up.

• Haha
Reactions: CYdTracked

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Some things have happened over the past few days.

Cubs declined the option on Lester, will buy him out.

Cubs declined the option on Descalso.

Cubs picked up the option on Rizzo.

Cubs apparently trying to get Tommy LaStella back.