*** Official #8 IOWA STATE vs UCF Game(Day) Thread ***

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Disgree. It was a quad 1 win. Kansas, OU and Tech all lost in Orlando.
People aren't giving UCF enough credit. They're a good team especially at home. Nearly everyone in the conference plays good to great defense. We're in a great conference. That means we can't go out and cruise to wins, especially on the road. I think ISU plays a "40 minutes of hell" style. Our guys just wear other teams out and beat them into submission. We have lots of guys who can score 15 to 20 on a given night. I love this team.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I too went for a walk mid-way through the second half. Ya’ll are welcome! :cool:

Sometimes it’s best for one’s “sports emotions” to just step away from watching the Cyclones for a couple minutes… I can’t be the only one :p
No, we need to stay focused! Come on!

:D

Reactions: CyNews

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Sort of, but I don't want to conquer the world. That way lies madness and fascism.

I'm satisfied with the mere destruction of Kansas.
This is fine by me as well. I have no desire to conquer Russia or Europe.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Ah! Thanks for pointing to this. Refs were not very good yesterday, but definitely both ways. Those continuation calls were very, very bad for college ball. My goodness! You foul a guy, he then takes another full step, then turns to face the basket, then shoots. And it's a shooting foul. Just ridiculous!!!
That registered with me too. Only it was 2 steps before he shot. Definitely an NBA continuation call.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
That registered with me too. Only it was 2 steps before he shot. Definitely an NBA continuation call.
and one dribble. The dribble more than the steps, rules out continuation for me. You could be going in for the shot (and starting your shooting motion) and take another step or two after contact, but if you dribble you are not in shooting motion.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
and one dribble. The dribble more than the steps, rules out continuation for me. You could be going in for the shot (and starting your shooting motion) and take another step or two after contact, but if you dribble you are not in shooting motion.
If I watch it again, I bet there is a, you guessed it, a dribble.

Da dum, he's in the NBA now and beyond.

T-oh double D

Jan 20, 2024
I don’t recall a Cyclone team that has had this much of the killer instinct. They did struggle a bit earlier in the season (i.e. Texas A&M and @ OU imo), but yesterday’s performance in the last four minutes struck me as downright cold blooded. I think that this trend will continue and that it is going to be a really fun ride as a Cyclone fan.
Absolutely- yesterday’s final minutes were a great team finding a way to put away a tight game when they needed to. I agree, we haven’t seen a Cyclone team like this in awhile. This might be the best Iowa State team I’ve seen since the 1999-2000 team. These guys know how to win and we have lots of different guys who can make plays and contribute on any given night.
If we can peak at the right time, we could have a magical season.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Recap from being at the game.

-UCFs Arena is a nice modern Arena
-Not a sellout but very full
-A TON of ISU representation (I’d guess 15-20%). A whole section behind the bench was probably 85% Clones.
-UCFs student section was very loud
-There was a VERY LOUD “Let’s go State” chant after Gilbert’s(May have been someone else) And One.
-The next timeout there was a loud cross court “Cyclone Power” chant

We had a great time, it isn’t a true ISU road game without some level of “heart attack clones” :D

Would definitely come back to another road game here. Go State!
One more thing to add that kind of irked me from the UCF game.

There was a section at the top of the concourse behind the student section with about 10 seats marked “reserved for visiting AD”. I didn’t see Pollard and not sure what the rest of his staff looks like but there were people dressed in Cardinal and gold in there.

My thought was, why would you put the visiting administrators that got you in the conference in arguably the worst place to sit? I’m sure ADs don’t necessarily need a suite but why put them behind a bunch of loud College students who are standing all game?

Maybe this isn’t a big deal to ISU AD but if UCF wants to be respected among the rest of the Big 12 ADs, don’t do stupid stuff like that to the administrators who got you in the conference in the first place.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
BEAT FLORIDA TECH!

5c1dc2bdb37d8.image.png
Ok the Citronaunt is a bad mascot (they actually had him walking around Saturday hahaha) but honestly I think they should have retained “Florida Tech” as the school name and just changed to the Knights for their mascot. I think Florida Tech sounds better than UCF IMO.

Their campus is situated next to A TON of aerospace and tech companies we drove by on our way to the game (Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, defense systems companies, etc).

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Kind of an arm of this is Milan is not taking enough shots. I would be interested to see how many FG attempts he has compared to BRE since the start of the “2nd half” of the conference slate.
Are you sure you want to see those numbers? They aren't pretty.

Leaving out 3-pt shots (Milan is 5-25 over the last 7 games); Milan has taken 37 two pt shots and BRE has taken 39.

Of course, Milan has made just 15 of those (41%) and BRE has made 24 (62%)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Ok the Citronaunt is a bad mascot (they actually had him walking around Saturday hahaha) but honestly I think they should have retained “Florida Tech” as the school name and just changed to the Knights for their mascot. I think Florida Tech sounds better than UCF IMO.

Their campus is situated next to A TON of aerospace and tech companies we drove by on our way to the game (Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, defense systems companies, etc).
Change to University of Florida-Orlando and rebrand as the Aliens. Marketing potential galore.