Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Correct. They will have the exact path in the storm summary but they do not have that page published yet.
HO-LEEEE SHT...,

If that red dot indicates one point on the path of the tornado, it was less than a mile east of us! I've never had one closer than 5-6 miles despite over 40 years in the midwest.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
i got a question for the ag majors out there. Those tornados that ripped through Iowa cornfields, how damaged are those fields? I know they are planted but not much growth, will they be fine or will they need to be replanted?

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
i got a question for the ag majors out there. Those tornados that ripped through Iowa cornfields, how damaged are those fields? I know they are planted but not much growth, will they be fine or will they need to be replanted?

If there's enough hail or flood damage some crops may have to be replanted. Most should survive. I'd rather replant than pick up debris. I imagine picking up the debris is what most are concerned about right now.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Corn growing point is still under ground until V5 (5th collared leaf) and will regrow even if shredded off. Not ideal but will survive unless buried under mud (or water for a couple days)

Reactions: 2122 and Gerbs

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Took a walk through the neighborhood and we got pretty lucky, saw at least 10 small to medium trees, large branches down and some mature oaks down in the adjacent neighborhood. One section of the neighborhood about 2 blocks away looked the worst.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I had to clean out my fridge this morning due to no power for 7+ hours. Looks like I get to go grocery shopping again this week.

We were without power for about 8 or 9 hours, but my fridge never got above 43°F. We did not open the doors, though. Deep freeze got up to +3°F. Was getting nervous, though.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The only thing I don't like about some of those vids is they make the damage path look so narrow, when in fact at ground level it's a completely different story.

Don't like how it looks!!! Sure it's a completely different story from ground level. Especially if you were in the path. But be thankful it was a narrow path. Because had this been F5 El Reno type......Greenfield would have been wiped off the map.

Reactions: Jer

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
The only thing I don't like about some of those vids is they make the damage path look so narrow, when in fact at ground level it's a completely different story.

Conversely, it also helps quell the hyperbole whenever something this massive happens to a small town. I kept seeing a lot of social media posts like "Greenfield just got wiped off the map" -- no it didn't. The town is still there. It did some absolutely massive damage but it is still, in fact, a town.

I expect adults to be able to understand the hyperbole but it filters down to younger kids like mine who have high anxiety about this sort of thing when they hear it from classmates who heard it from other adults, and it's tough to explain to them that "tornado sirens" doesn't mean that they're about to die to a tornado, it means that they need to take shelter *just in case*.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

It's hard to capture this stuff no matter what. I remember after the derecho driving along Highway 30 and seeing the houses destroyed and knowing that there were dozens and dozens that I couldn't see. And that was even before I hit Cedar Rapids.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

But you can clearly see buildings in the town that are still standing. Everything we heard was that the entire town of Greenfield was destroyed. That video shows otherwise.

Not minimalizing the disaster because it's still devastating to the town and people there.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Don't like how it looks!!! Sure it's a completely different story from ground level. Especially if you were in the path. But be thankful it was a narrow path. Because had this been F5 El Reno type......Greenfield would have been wiped off the map.

Conversely, it also helps quell the hyperbole whenever something this massive happens to a small town. I kept seeing a lot of social media posts like "Greenfield just got wiped off the map" -- no it didn't. The town is still there. It did some absolutely massive damage but it is still, in fact, a town.

I expect adults to be able to understand the hyperbole but it filters down to younger kids like mine who have high anxiety about this sort of thing when they hear it from classmates who heard it from other adults, and it's tough to explain to them that "tornado sirens" doesn't mean that they're about to die to a tornado, it means that they need to take shelter *just in case*.

It's hard to capture this stuff no matter what. I remember after the derecho driving along Highway 30 and seeing the houses destroyed and knowing that there were dozens and dozens that I couldn't see. And that was even before I hit Cedar Rapids.

But you can clearly see buildings in the town that are still standing. Everything we heard was that the entire town of Greenfield was destroyed. That video shows otherwise.

Not minimalizing the disaster because it's still devastating to the town and people there.

Very good perspective, had not thought about that. I don't follow the Twitterverse and stuff so hadn't seen the hyperbole or how it was being portrayed. You are all absolutely right that these do help put things into perspective of where the extreme damage is, and unfortunately it's hard to visually capture both that and the tertiary damage at ground level.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Very good perspective, had not thought about that. I don't follow the Twitterverse and stuff so hadn't seen the hyperbole or how it was being portrayed. You are all absolutely right that these do help put things into perspective of where the extreme damage is, and unfortunately it's hard to visually capture both that and the tertiary damage at ground level.

I mean, it's driven by likes and social media attention. It happened before the internet too. Flooding is a big one too, the news only focuses on the dramatic scenes. During the 2008 flood in Des Moines I had relatives reaching out asking if the entire town was underwater. Ground level pictures just doesn't capture the whole story. It's just one part of the equation.