MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Cubs 2023 schedule is out. Play less Division games (From 19 to 13 vs each opponent) and will play at least one series vs. every team in the League.

1661371501073.png

Last edited:

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
i never understood why they didn't make the last couple weeks only division games.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
And we are done with St Louis in July.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Odd number of teams in each division/league. I hope that's what they do when they go to 32 (8 divisions of 4)
I understand that but look at the last 2 week for the whole NL Central.
1661373679377.png

1661373480437.png

Mathematically the last 5 series can contain 4 of the other division opponents, just rotate the team that doesnt play a divisional series. At least they get the final series correct.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Mervis is raking at AAA.

Platooning him at 1B could fit well with bringing Willson back as a part-time catcher/ righty platoon at 1st. I think the key to resigning Contreras would come down to the number of years he wants. If he's willing to go for 3 or 4 years I think he'd be a great asset. Having the money to spend but keeping it on a shorter term seems like a win-win.

Article says because he's not rule 5 yet they may hold off on a September call up though.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Going to be exciting to see how many of these prospects find their way to Chicago in 2023. They have a few making cases for a late season look now but I think 2023 is going to be a key year to see some of these guys move up another level and then maybe get a call up to Chicago. OF really seems to be the position of depth in the system right now which means a decision is looming on Happ's future with Suzuki locked into RF for awhile. Need to have room somewhere to bring these guys up and if they keep Reyes around that takes away the DH as an extra spot in the lineup. Canario got a call up to AAA this week and could get a look next year and if Davis is healthy he surely will get a look to make the team out of spring training too. Still have PCA and Alcantara who could keep climbing the levels in the minors quickly and make a case for a look in late 202, maybe even Caissie too. There is a big log jam coming for OF prospects by 2024 possibly and only so many spots you can put them so I don't see where Happ fits in unless he moves back to the infield but you have Morel who will have to play infield or be super utility guy too so it makes me think Happ is still on the trading block this offseason. Not a bad problem to have because eventually will need to be buyers not sellers at the deadline and having some depth in the minors will be needed to make some deals.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Went to the Iowa Cubs game last night, Canario is a legit prospect with tons of power, hit the longest foul ball down the left field line that I've ever seen.

I dont get what you guys see in Mervis, hes a Bote/ Schwindel level ceiling, not the long term answer at first base if you ever want to contend again.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Went to the Iowa Cubs game last night, Canario is a legit prospect with tons of power, hit the longest foul ball down the left field line that I've ever seen.

I dont get what you guys see in Mervis, hes a Bote/ Schwindel level ceiling, not the long term answer at first base if you ever want to contend again.
I haven't seen either play in person yet but statistically both have been raking it this year. Keep hearing about Davis and PCA but Canario is the guy I wonder if he could be the 1st of the 3 to make an impact in Chicago. Davis is going to need some time after being out most of this season probably so will be interesting to see how quickly he gets back into form and does enough to not need some extended time in AAA next season to make up for time lost this year.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Mervis is an interesting piece for the Cubs. He was a two way player at Duke and because of that and COVID, he only had 256 college at bats. His K rate is below 20% and he leads minor league baseball in extra base hits. I actually think the Cubs might have struck gold with him because he only has 750 professional AB’s and is hitting the ball incredibly hard.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Mervis is an interesting piece for the Cubs. He was a two way player at Duke and because of that and COVID, he only had 256 college at bats. His K rate is below 20% and he leads minor league baseball in extra base hits. I actually think the Cubs might have struck gold with him because he only has 750 professional AB’s and is hitting the ball incredibly hard.
I hope you're right but I just don't see it, hes barely inside their Top 20 prospects and I think he's already 25 or 26.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I hope you're right but I just don't see it, hes barely inside their Top 20 prospects and I think he's already 25 or 26.
He's 24, leading MiLB in extra baseball hits, playing at his 3rd level this year and his K rate has dropped after each promotion.

• Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Brett can sometimes get carried away with his "what if" stories but I would love for this to happen if the Cubs got serious

One Pundit on the Chicago Cubs Trading for Shohei Ohtani: "It Wouldn't Surprise Me" (bleachernation.com)

Ohtani is a once in a generation talent in his prime right now, fills both a pitching and offensive need and I would be OK with trading off some off some prospects in the system if they can get him signed to an extension.

Few recent notes...

In the Month of August:
Madrigal: .303 (starting to win me over after I had doubts)
Reyes: .291 with 3 HR 10 RBI in 20 games
Contreras has 6 HR this month despite a .213 BA
Guys that have really struggled in August: Wisdom .179 BA Morel .175 Velazquez .167 McKinstry .190 Higgins . 130 Thompson 8.44 ERA in 4 starts 16 innings, pretty much a good chunk of the bullpen with ERA over 5 which includes Espinoza Brault Castro Newcomb and Wick

The only starters that has posted an ERA under 4 has been Steele 0.96 and Smyly 0.90 and I guess you can include 2 starts by Assad too at 0.00 in 9 total. Stroman had some decent starts but also some clunkers too at 4.34 on the month with the Cubs losing 4 of his 5 starts.

Steele has really impressed me this season. He's not a top half of the rotation guy but he's been the Cubs best pitcher since June 1. Smyly would be worth keeping around on a short deal too as a backend guy too I think. Just depends on what they do in the offseason but if they brought in a legit #1 starter you could go New Guy, Stroman, Steele, Hendricks, Smyly (have to break up the 2 lefties somehow) but that would be an OK rotation to start out with. I think Thompson still has a bright future with the team, might have to be in relief maybe and some guys in AA and AAA that will factor in soon so would not surprise me if they pass on resigning Smyly and have that last spot in the rotation up for grabs between 3 or 4 guys in camp. Just feel if this group is going to take a step forward that acquiring a true #1 Ace at the top of the rotation needs to be a priority.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines

I'm not sure what's not to like about Mervis. He's a 24 year old lefty at a position of need that is having a 30 homer season in his 2nd year (1st full year) in pro ball. He doesn't strike out. As previously pointed out, he was a two way player until recently so is only now focused solely on hitting.

If he works out, you have a cheap 1st basemen for the next 6 years. If he busts, its an easier position to fill when needed.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Mervis rakes with the bat but I may have found out why they’re working Wisdom at 1B.

Was at the I Cubs game Saturday. Fly ball in foul territory that landed about 5 feet behind the first base tarp. He made very little effort for the ball knowing he was near the tarp, though it was very catchable.

Couple innings later, pretty routine fly ball that seemed like he was under. Miscommunication happened with the second basemen and he ran out last second and the ball dropped.

Only seen one game, but there’s a chance the guy might be a defensive dud.

• Informative
Reactions: RivClone23

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Brett can sometimes get carried away with his "what if" stories but I would love for this to happen if the Cubs got serious

One Pundit on the Chicago Cubs Trading for Shohei Ohtani: "It Wouldn't Surprise Me" (bleachernation.com)

Ohtani is a once in a generation talent in his prime right now, fills both a pitching and offensive need and I would be OK with trading off some off some prospects in the system if they can get him signed to an extension.

Few recent notes...

In the Month of August:
Madrigal: .303 (starting to win me over after I had doubts)
Reyes: .291 with 3 HR 10 RBI in 20 games
Contreras has 6 HR this month despite a .213 BA
Guys that have really struggled in August: Wisdom .179 BA Morel .175 Velazquez .167 McKinstry .190 Higgins . 130 Thompson 8.44 ERA in 4 starts 16 innings, pretty much a good chunk of the bullpen with ERA over 5 which includes Espinoza Brault Castro Newcomb and Wick

The only starters that has posted an ERA under 4 has been Steele 0.96 and Smyly 0.90 and I guess you can include 2 starts by Assad too at 0.00 in 9 total. Stroman had some decent starts but also some clunkers too at 4.34 on the month with the Cubs losing 4 of his 5 starts.

Steele has really impressed me this season. He's not a top half of the rotation guy but he's been the Cubs best pitcher since June 1. Smyly would be worth keeping around on a short deal too as a backend guy too I think. Just depends on what they do in the offseason but if they brought in a legit #1 starter you could go New Guy, Stroman, Steele, Hendricks, Smyly (have to break up the 2 lefties somehow) but that would be an OK rotation to start out with. I think Thompson still has a bright future with the team, might have to be in relief maybe and some guys in AA and AAA that will factor in soon so would not surprise me if they pass on resigning Smyly and have that last spot in the rotation up for grabs between 3 or 4 guys in camp. Just feel if this group is going to take a step forward that acquiring a true #1 Ace at the top of the rotation needs to be a priority.
1. Ohtani, who is undeniably a top of the rotation ace.
2. Stroman, who has a 2.81 since July 6
3. Steele, who has a 1.46 ERA since July 6 and finished 3rd in August in K/9
4. Hendricks, who's worst stats of his career happened to come as his franchise was selling off any talent around him
5. Wesneski, who's last 3 starts in Iowa have resulted in 15 innings, 1 run, 4 hits, and a .080 OBP
6. Drew Smyly, who all year has proven to be a high-end back of the rotation guy
7. Keegan Thompson, who has proven he can perform as a quality as a 5 if need be.

And we haven't talked about Ben Brown, Jordan Wicks, or Cade Horton, who are top 7 players in the Cubs top 10 farm system. But we won't have a top rotation next year, because on July 6,...
So we have 4/5 of a top starting rotation currently on the team yet somehow don’t have a good rotation.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
4. Hendricks, who's worst stats of his career happened to come as his franchise was selling off any talent around him
5. Wesneski, who's last 3 starts in Iowa have resulted in 15 innings, 1 run, 4 hits, and a .080 OBP
6. Drew Smyly, who all year has proven to be a high-end back of the rotation guy
7. Keegan Thompson, who has proven he can perform as a quality as a 5 if need be.

And we haven't talked about Ben Brown, Jordan Wicks, or Cade Horton, who are top 7 players in the Cubs top 10 farm system. But we won't have a top rotation next year, because on July 6,...

So you’re saying you want to bet we have a top five team starters ERA next year? Name the stakes.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Yeah, that would work.