MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
what are the potential 3B options in free agency?
I haven't researched that much yet but I know that Arenado has a a player opt out he could use but he is probably going to be a really expensive if he hits the market. Justin Turner and Evan Longoria both have club options but I would guess they will be picked up so yeah unless a reasonable upgrade comes up on the trade market they'll probably stick with an internal option or convince one of the top SS free agents to move to 3B. There are some good 1B options if they wanted to sign one but by doing that would mean it would block Mervis for now unless the intent was sign a guy to eventually move to the primary DH once he is ready.

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006
3B is Morel’s preferred position, and Nico has already shown he’s elite defensively at 2B. I think that’d be the likely alignment if they get a Correa, although they would have a ton of flexibility.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
3B is Morel’s preferred position, and Nico has already shown he’s elite defensively at 2B. I think that’d be the likely alignment if they get a Correa, although they would have a ton of flexibility.

With Davis and PCA soon to be up finding a full time spot in the infield is a priority. Plus have ultra flexible position guys (Morel, Hoerner) with a quality 2B backup like Madrigal on the bench gives us great options.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
FWIW

Correa has said he is willing to move to third if it helps his team (which would keep Hoerner at SS) though I would like to see Hoerner at 2B, still.

Boegarts has said he is a SS and expects to play SS.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It'd be really cool if he turns out to be a stud and we absolutely fleece the Mets
It's looking that way so far. I think they made out well in all 3 trades last year. The 2 guys they got from KB were Canario and Kilian and they are #9 and #14 on that new prospect list. Canario is a guy to keep an eye on too, he's hit 29 HR between A and AA this year. They got Alcantara for Rizzo who is #3 on that list so could see more than just PCA turn out to be a valuable player in those deals at some point.

As I was saying there is going to be a logjam in the OF at some point if these prospects continue to develop and make a case for a call up. 5 of the top 10 prospects at the moment are all OF and barring injury or just no being able to hit MLB pitching PCA, Davis, Alcantara, Canario, and Caissie all have a lot of upside and potential so it's not out of the question that 1 or 2 of them may have to be moved in a trade down the road to acquire pitching or another positional need.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's looking that way so far. I think they made out well in all 3 trades last year. The 2 guys they got from KB were Canario and Kilian and they are #9 and #14 on that new prospect list. Canario is a guy to keep an eye on too, he's hit 29 HR between A and AA this year. They got Alcantara for Rizzo who is #3 on that list so could see more than just PCA turn out to be a valuable player in those deals at some point.

As I was saying there is going to be a logjam in the OF at some point if these prospects continue to develop and make a case for a call up. 5 of the top 10 prospects at the moment are all OF and barring injury or just no being able to hit MLB pitching PCA, Davis, Alcantara, Canario, and Caissie all have a lot of upside and potential so it's not out of the question that 1 or 2 of them may have to be moved in a trade down the road to acquire pitching or another positional need.

As for the deadline itself, sure. My main gripe was them waiting until the absolute last second to deal these guys, which significantly devalued them. If they knew they weren't going to negotiate in good faith, they should have been dealt a year earlier. It was evident by then we weren't a contender anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
As for the deadline itself, sure. My main gripe was them waiting until the absolute last second to deal these guys, which significantly devalued them. If they knew they weren't going to negotiate in good faith, they should have been dealt a year earlier. It was evident by then we weren't a contender anymore.
Do you mean the players not negotiating in good faith?

Cubs offered Rizzo 5 years, $70 million ($14 million AAV)

He signed with Yankees for 1 year, $16 million. His 5 year deal would’ve ended at age 37 season. He won’t be getting anywhere near $16 million at age 37.

Cubs offered KB and Baez slightly under market value and even that would’ve ended up being a terrible contract, at least this year. I would take Madrigal at 2B and Hoerner at SS before I’d pay Baez even $10 million a year

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Agree and disagree at the same time. They probably knew KB was a longshot to sign because of Boras and the service time thing but all 3 guys wound up signing deals for less than what the Cubs offered so in hindsight the Cubs dodged a bullet not having these 3 eating up payroll and still not winning. If anything they maybe should have start the rebuild sooner while these guys had more trade value? I think given they were all rental players last season at the deadline and all 3 were having their struggles too either with their hitting health or both they got pretty good returns on them. Will be interesting to see how the return on Darvish turns out in a few years as the guys they got for him were all much younger. Caissie was 1 of the 4 guys and he's already up to #10 on our prospect rankings. Would be interesting to see what kind of offers they had for Contreras and Happ at the deadline.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Agree and disagree at the same time. They probably knew KB was a longshot to sign because of Boras and the service time thing but all 3 guys wound up signing deals for less than what the Cubs offered so in hindsight the Cubs dodged a bullet not having these 3 eating up payroll and still not winning. If anything they maybe should have start the rebuild sooner while these guys had more trade value? I think given they were all rental players last season at the deadline and all 3 were having their struggles too either with their hitting health or both they got pretty good returns on them. Will be interesting to see how the return on Darvish turns out in a few years as the guys they got for him were all much younger. Caissie was 1 of the 4 guys and he's already up to #10 on our prospect rankings. Would be interesting to see what kind of offers they had for Contreras and Happ at the deadline.

I guess that's what I'm getting at. There was a tipping point where it became evident we weren't a contender and we weren't resigning them, and it was well before that trade deadline. While none of these guys were Soto type players, I think you saw the Nationals realize exactly this. We aren't going to win and we aren't going to resign him. So lets maximize our prospect haul by dealing him when his value is even higher because he's under contract more than one year.

There's just no way waiting until the last second maximizes your negotiating position.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
How the Franamal works out will have some impact on resigning Contreras. He's an absolute beast if he can continue to make regular contact. If that happens Contreras' half time at DH won't be available. So Willson would likely have to be part-time at 3B or in left. I'd like to have him back it just may not end up being a good fit.

Happ is going to depend on how the farm guys progress. Already have Suzuki and Morel so if Davis, PCA or one of the other prospects look like they are ready for 24 Happ is expendable and they can put the money it would cost to resign Happ towards Frontline pitching.

Of the guys we list last year Rizzoli is the only one I wish they had kept. Baez and Schwarbet stuck out too much. Bryant just too injury prone.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
How the Franamal works out will have some impact on resigning Contreras. He's an absolute beast if he can continue to make regular contact. If that happens Contreras' half time at DH won't be available. So Willson would likely have to be part-time at 3B or in left. I'd like to have him back it just may not end up being a good fit.

Happ is going to depend on how the farm guys progress. Already have Suzuki and Morel so if Davis, PCA or one of the other prospects look like they are ready for 24 Happ is expendable and they can put the money it would cost to resign Happ towards Frontline pitching.

Of the guys we list last year Rizzoli is the only one I wish they had kept. Baez and Schwarbet stuck out too much. Bryant just too injury prone.
Still think Willson can be a 1B/OF/C option but not sure the FO agrees

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
3rd is his natural position so him and Morel could sit that as well which gives time to the younger outfielders. Mervis at 1st will probably start with a platoon partner as well. But the outfield is going to be overflowing with young talent that will need ABs.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I don't see a scenario where he is back next year to be honest. Someone likely will pay him like an elite catcher and that probably will not be the Cubs. There are just enough holes/flaws in his game that if you are going to commit that kind of money to him even if you do move him around the field and not have him catch as much he's not really an elite bat at other positions which makes me wonder if that is why they didn't find a suitable trade because the interested teams could fill the DH with a better hitter. Maybe the Cubs and Wilson surprise us all and find a deal that works but I am not banking on it.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I don't see a scenario where he is back next year to be honest. Someone likely will pay him like an elite catcher and that probably will not be the Cubs. There are just enough holes/flaws in his game that if you are going to commit that kind of money to him even if you do move him around the field and not have him catch as much he's not really an elite bat at other positions which makes me wonder if that is why they didn't find a suitable trade because the interested teams could fill the DH with a better hitter. Maybe the Cubs and Wilson surprise us all and find a deal that works but I am not banking on it.

Front load his deal and have it taper off. Cubs won’t be paying many big contracts the next few years (except Heyward’s).

Four years, $80 million
Year 1: $23 million
Year 2: $21 million
Year 3: $19 million
Year 4: $17 million team option

I like what the Braves and White Sox have done. White Sox have team options on almost all of their contracts and Braves have locked up young talent for the long term.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think the market may not be what we expected for Willson. It was pretty obvious at the deadline he was worth more to us than anyone else. One would think there has to be some thought of resigning him since they chose not to dump him in the final hour.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
We'll see if the Cubs ownership actually wants to spends the money we are wanting them to this offseason.

They're frankly not any closer to competing this year than they were last year so not sure what has changed that would get them to add big name free agents this year.

I think they'll once again go shopping in the middle FA market.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
We'll see if the Cubs ownership actually wants to spends the money we are wanting them to this offseason.

They're frankly not any closer to competing this year than they were last year so not sure what has changed that would get them to add big name free agents this year.

I think they'll once again go shopping in the middle FA market.
Hopefully Hoyer learned a lessen about getting the best fit rather than the the most popular. Hayward and Darvish were horrible signs and handcuff the team.

If we add an elite offensive star great, but a true top of the rotation starter is a much bigger priority. Having Strohman and a quality addition gives the future starters a chance to develop without being leaned on.