MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
New crazy and whacky potential FO idea:

One year of Ohtani likely costs 4-5 top prospects.

What about trying to keep the farm system healthy and throw Rendon and his poor contract in the deal? ($38 AAV for 4 more years) and only give up 1-2 top prospects?

Cubs gains:
- Not depleting the whole farm
- 2 positions of need (3B, Ace)

Angel gains:
- $152 million off the books
- 1-2 top prospects
- Enables reset for new regime

It's totally dependent on what the Angels new regime wants to do, but I do believe Ohtani is the only way they would ever be able to get rid of Rendon's contract.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It's an interesting situation for sure because it has been a LONG time since the Cubs had any kind of starting pitching prospects in the pipeline that have amounted to anything. The 2016 WS team was constructed by buying pitching to go with the top end positional talent they had but this rebuild should be a little different as they have some guys that could fill the pitching needs and not have to go out and buy several arms. I do think they need to spend on that surefire #1 Ace for the rotation as at the moment I don't think any of the guys in the system are going to be of that caliber but could turn into good middle to back end rotation guys. Maybe 1 of them surprises us, its too soon to tell. If you look at that 2016 rotation Lester was the big piece they brough in 1st, they traded for Arrieta during a sell off and got him because he couldn't throw strikes for the Orioles, Hendricks was a prospect that came from the Dempster trade if I recall and Lackey was a free agent signing at the tail end of his career. There really were not a lot of home grown guys on that pitching staff, Hendricks and Carl Edwards Jr were basically it.

Just need to be smart about it and not trade or sign for some marginal guy like we did when we traded for Quintana in 2017 thinking he could be a top half of the rotation guy. The Cubs have options internally already to fill the back half of the rotation but Stroman and Hendricks are not #1 guys and I'm not even certain either are #2 guys on a good team either. It's Hendricks last year of his contract in 2023 so they could be moving on from him soon too.
Cease would of likely been our home grown ace if we didn't trade away our future in 2016.

Reactions: CYdTracked

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Cease would of likely been our home grown ace if we didn't trade away our future in 2016.
Agree but we also did not have the management in place to make Cease successful. Reports are the Cubs viewed him as nothing more than a middle reliever, which just shows how piss poor our system was for awhile.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm curious how Madrigal's play in the second half will impact moves made this offseason. I said throughout July and most of August that we can't count on Madrigal to be an every day second baseman, but he's played at a point now where I think I would be comfortable with him being the every day guy in 2023.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm curious how Madrigal's play in the second half will impact moves made this offseason. I said throughout July and most of August that we can't count on Madrigal to be an every day second baseman, but he's played at a point now where I think I would be comfortable with him being the every day guy in 2023.

I think is they sign the elite SS we'll see Madrigal at 2nd and whoever they sign on the other side of the infield with Hoerner until the OF prospects allow Morel to move to 3rd which puts Hoerner at 2nd. Basically it will progress over the next two seasons and will likely play itself out on the field.

Happ being signed for 23 also allows time for the hoard of really good OF coming to not be rushed.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

A .689 OPS and four extra base hits in about 100 ABs doesn’t really move the needle for me.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
A .689 OPS and four extra base hits in about 100 ABs doesn’t really move the needle for me.
Meh - I think that’s about what they were expecting. They traded pop for a guy who will get on base. He’s pretty much the opposite of what the old regime liked.

He has a .375 OBP in the second half and 8 strikeouts in 105 plate appearances in that same time frame.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
We needed onbase guys so the pop guys would do more than solo homerun every time.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That slider was just FLITHY! I hope they give him a chance to get a few actual starts and not just piggy back off a short start by Miley or someone.

Reactions: VeloClone

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The lineups the Cubs have been running out there lately I wonder if the Iowa Cubs maybe have more talent in their lineups top to bottom this past week. Last night Happ may have been the only guy in the lineup that would be a regular starter on a good team. They keep trotting Hermosillo and his sub .100 batting average out there, Velazquez hasn't hit well at all lately, Higgins, Bote, and Rivas currently are not every day players and I sure hope they get rid of McKinstry after this season as he's not hit worth a lick since they traded for him either and his fielding leaves a lot to be desired too.

Ready for the season to be done and lets see if all this talk about the front office ready to spend some money actually happens.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
IF the Phillies miss the Playoffs have a feeling they will look back and wonder how the F did they go 0-6 versus this Cubs team.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Crazy run the Cubs are on right now. Granted end of the season with no pressure since they have been eliminated for awhile now but nice to see some starting pitching doing well. Still think they need to acquire a proven top of the rotation arm but with Stroman, Steele, Wesneski, and likely Hendricks that could be a capable rotation next year. Put Thompson, Assad, and Alzolay (if he can stay healthy) in the bullpen, have Sampson around for some depth even if you have to option him back to Iowa and still have Killian who will likely start at Iowa too next year. Really feels weird having some pitching depth in the system now that they could even trade away some of it to acquire an impact bat and still have some depth there.

Lets see if ownership and front office are serious about adding some payroll again and get aggressive in free agency and trade market this offseason to add some bats. Reyes has really cooled off since his hot start when he got to Chicago so would not be surprised if they non-tender him. Right now Happ, Suzuki, Morel and Hoerner are about the only regulars in the picture at the moment. I assume they tender contracts to some of the cost controlled guys that still have minor league options or could bench guys.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Welp, end the season with a 74-88 record. Played some good ball down the stretch. Don't know if that will carry over or not but hopefully with some proper additions the Cubs can field a team that is at least in the running for a Wild Card spot next season.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Welp, end the season with a 74-88 record. Played some good ball down the stretch. Don't know if that will carry over or not but hopefully with some proper additions the Cubs can field a team that is at least in the running for a Wild Card spot next season.
Pitching was spectacular last 40-50 games. Hopefully it's not a reason to go cheap. Could be fools gold

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron