MLB: ***Official 2021 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Is he though?

Also, his value has been low for years, when did you want to trade him, 2017?

His value has not been "low" for years. That's an absurd thing to say.

They should have trade him last year. They kept pursuing this pipe dream that the core had one more run in them, when in reality each passing day they lost value.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Wooooooow I was in a great mood and liking the Cubs' moves...until the KB trade. They basically just gave him away for nothing. WTF.

Keith Law thinks they did pretty well in that trade. He's just one guy, and just one guy's opinion but I generally trust his views on these things.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I still believe this is a reload, not a rebuild. People just lose their damn mind when teams sell. Hendricks, Alzolay, Mills, Wilson, Nico, Bote, Madrigal, and Wisdom are all really solid piece to build from, especially with so much available cash.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
His value has not been "low" for years. That's an absurd thing to say.

They should have trade him last year. They kept pursuing this pipe dream that the core had one more run in them, when in reality each passing day they lost value.

It's been low if you were expecting to get a MVP level return for him.

After the 2019 season you could have traded him and received a decent return (one would presume)

After last season though? He was awful last year and they really needed him to do what he did which is return to at least the 2019 version if not the 2016-2017 version.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Keith Law thinks they did pretty well in that trade. He's just one guy, and just one guy's opinion but I generally trust his views on these things.

He must be a believer in Canario. I'm kind of a prospect nerd and I have zero faith in Canario.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Rizzo trade: B (I really like Alcantara's potential)
Baez trade: C+ (I do like PCA but not getting anyone else with him is disappointing)
Kimbrel trade: A (Madrigal was a great get)
Marisnick trade: B (Getting a former top 100 prospect to take a flier on is good in my view)
Bryant trade: F (just terrible; Canario can't hit, he's striking out over 30% of the time at low A)

Jed was trying to ween himself off of his addiction to swing-and miss guys, but just couldn't quite help himself. Power hitting corner outfielders with bad hit-and-miss numbers are a helluva drug.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
He must be a believer in Canario. I'm kind of a prospect nerd and I have zero faith in Canario.

He is, no disrespect but I'll take his opinion over yours (primarily because it's better for the Cubs lol)

edit to add: he was also ok with the pitcher they got in that deal.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I still believe this is a reload, not a rebuild. People just lose their damn mind when teams sell. Hendricks, Alzolay, Mills, Wilson, Nico, Bote, Madrigal, and Wisdom are all really solid piece to build from, especially with so much available cash.

Are you familiar with the workings of a certain Thomas S. Ricketts?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

Madrigal, Hoerner, and Contreras are the only current position players that belong on an MLB roster and we have 1 starting pitcher who would pitch decently in this playoffs. This is very much, at best, a team that won’t compete until 2023, and that’s only if we spend a ton of money on FAs

Essentially I think we need to find at least 5 starting position players and 3 more starting pitchers to be anything decent next year. Just don’t see it happening.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Are you familiar with the workings of a certain Thomas S. Ricketts?

You mean the ownership family who had a $214 million payroll 2 years ago?

Look I don’t like the Rickets either, but they’re not stupid. They know they gotta spend some money to compete.

Reactions: VeloClone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Madrigal, Hoerner, and Contreras are the only current position players that belong on an MLB roster and we have 1 starting pitcher who would pitch decently in this playoffs. This is very much, at best, a team that won’t compete until 2023, and that’s only if we spend a ton of money on FAs

Essentially I think we need to find at least 5 starting position players and 3 more starting pitchers to be anything decent next year. Just don’t see it happening.

We traded the W flag for a white flag. Gonna be a lean few years.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Look I don’t like the Rickets either, but they’re not stupid. They know they gotta spend some money to compete.

Who says they want to compete in the standings? Wrigley is a money machine. Has been for years and years no matter how ****** the Cubs were.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

I think they'll continue to spend big in certain years and tear it all down to build back up. The lean years are where they make their gigantic profits and they'll keep building it back up to keep Cubs fans relatively happy.

If you're expecting them to spend every season (like I believe they should) I think you're going to be very disappointed.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
These trades moved the Cubs system from 21st to 9th and would be 4th if Madrigal hadn't graduated earlier this year.

Jed did a really good job and is, unfairly, getting raked over the coals for the Bryant deal because of the false report on Bart coming out.

They're going to have at least $150M to spend in the offseason and some of these guys are fairly close to the bigs

This is a re-load and not a rebuild.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
These trades moved the Cubs system from 21st to 9th and would be 4th if Madrigal hadn't graduated earlier this year.

Jed did a really good job and is, unfairly, getting raked over the coals for the Bryant deal because of the false report on Bart coming out.

They're going to have at least $150M to spend in the offseason and some of these guys are fairly close to the bigs

This is a re-load and not a rebuild.
Bull****!!! This is awful, we shoukd have 3 or 4 of the Top 50 prospects in baseball after all that. What a complete joke

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I think they'll continue to spend big in certain years and tear it all down to build back up. The lean years are where they make their gigantic profits and they'll keep building it back up to keep Cubs fans relatively happy.

If you're expecting them to spend every season (like I believe they should) I think you're going to be very disappointed.

I don’t expect them to spend like crazy every year. But currently the 2022 payroll is like $80 million with $23 going to Heyward. The expectations is to absolutely spend in that scenario.

Take away the emotion and the Cubs got better today.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I don’t expect them to spend like crazy every year. But currently the 2022 payroll is like $80 million with $23 going to Heyward. The expectations is to absolutely spend in that scenario.

Take away the emotion and the Cubs got better today.

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik