MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We could never put ourselves inside Russell’s head and what he’s been going through, BUT for the amount of money he’s making I'd be forgetting things really fast and focusing on work.

Sure, but he caused all of that. No one can make a guy beat on his wife and baby, and nobody makes him space out standing off 2nd, forget to run, and all the mental errors he makes.

• Funny
Reactions: CyJack13

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Sure, but he caused all of that. No one can make a guy beat on his wife and baby, and nobody makes him space out standing off 2nd, forget to run, and all the mental errors he makes.
I'm not defending him AT ALL because I think he's a huge piece of ****, but he never beat his baby did he? I thought there was just a few instances where he took the baby and wouldn't give it back to the mom

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We could never put ourselves inside Russell’s head and what he’s been going through, BUT for the amount of money he’s making I'd be forgetting things really fast and focusing on work.
Tough to forget your kids if you're a decent human.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The bar is so low right now for fan expectations for Happ this doesn't even move the needle for me. So he's been hitting AAA pitching better the past few weeks but is that really going to translate in the big leagues now? We'll see... I'm more interested to see if the corresponding move involves a bullpen arm going down or a position player being optioned or DFA.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The bar is so low right now for fan expectations for Happ this doesn't even move the needle for me. So he's been hitting AAA pitching better the past few weeks but is that really going to translate in the big leagues now? We'll see... I'm more interested to see if the corresponding move involves a bullpen arm going down or a position player being optioned or DFA.

If it gets Descalso off of the roster, I'm all for it. He's been a waste of a spot from May 1st on.

I agree with the low expectations for Happ, when Baez and Schwarber were sent down after extended MLB time, they looked like major league hitters playing AAA. Baez hit .324/.385/.527, Schwarber hit .343/.477/.714. Happ has looked like just another AAA guy down there.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If it gets Descalso off of the roster, I'm all for it. He's been a waste of a spot from May 1st on.

I agree with the low expectations for Happ, when Baez and Schwarber were sent down after extended MLB time, they looked like major league hitters playing AAA. Baez hit .324/.385/.527, Schwarber hit .343/.477/.714. Happ has looked like just another AAA guy down there.

I'll admit when Baez first came up I thought he might turn out to be a bust because he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and struck out at everything. Just look at his 2014 season, 95 K's in 213 AB for a .169 BA. Glad I was wrong about that, he's probably the 1 guy on the team I'd keep at all costs now. The jury is still out on Schwarber though, career .227 hitter in the big leagues and besides a few hot stretches and that playoff stint in 2016 he hasn't turned into the big bat the Cubs had hopes for. At the moment he's basically a light version of Adam Dunn: either strikes out, walks, or hits a homer and doesn't play great defense. At least Dunn had a stretch in his prime where he was good for around 40 HR 100 RBI and 100 walks most seasons even if he didn't hit more than about .230-.250 most of those years. I just hope the Cubs didn't waste the best chance they had to trade him a couple years ago when his value was higher than it surely is now.

I hope Happ doesn't turn into one of these 4A type guys that can hit minor league pitching well but never quite gets it to translate to consistent big league success. I think part of it may be the Cubs rushed him up through the minors too soon. He was brought up around that same time they just got done bringing up a group of guys that advanced through the minors quickly and had immediate big league success then they also converted him to the OF to get more AB then he just seemed to hit a wall once big league pitchers figured him out. When they first called Happ up I kept saying don't get too attached to this guy because he sure looks like trade bait for some pitching. Of course like any young guy that they bring up that is blocked by someone at the big league level they wind up messing them up and sending them back down to fix things. Not every guy is going to be Kris Bryant when you call them up

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

So basically there is an outside shot at Zobrist being back before the playoffs and pretty much don't expect to see Morrow pitch again is what I get from that. If Zo comes back he's going to need some at bats in the minors to knock the rust off before he's useful for the big club so you'd think he's be making up his mind here shortly. You'd surely want him doing a stint in the minors in mid to late August so he can get his timing back in September for the stretch run

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Contreras in the lead-off spot tonight:

EAbXaECW4AEeD4x

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Pretty risk free move. No prospects sent to the Giants and getting some cash to cover part of his salary too. He's been pretty decent since moving to the bullpen, he got knocked around a bit on 7/20 but prior to that outing had a pretty solid stretch of outings since May 31. He'll be a situational lefty reliever most likely and his numbers against lefties have been really good this year:

Among all NL pitchers against left-handed hitters this year, Holland has allowed the second-lowest slugging percentage (.195), third-lowest OPS (.471) and seventh-lowest batting average (.182). He also has limited lefty batters to a .276 on-base percentage.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Bryant has been RAKING in the 3 spot. Why move him up? Especially with the pitcher hitting 9th.

It's Joe Maddon, since when has he ever stuck to a consistent lineup over a stretch of games? Probably will bat Rizzo leadoff again at some point this year too like he's been known to do.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
It's Joe Maddon, since when has he ever stuck to a consistent lineup over a stretch of games? Probably will bat Rizzo leadoff again at some point this year too like he's been known to do.

Exactly. Last year was "insert name here" is destroying the ball, lets drop them to the 7th spot.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Pretty important 9 game stretch here against the Brewers and Cards. Really not the time for Joe to be playing musical chairs with the lineup either. I'm guessing his explanation for tonight is that Wilson's first game back and you have Bryant, Rizzo, and Javy gives him protection that he's going to see some pitches because they can't afford to walk him with those guys batting behind him?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron