*** Official 2019 Big 12 Tournament Champions Thread ***

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Yeah I remember walking out of Hilton after the Colorado game thinking it was a lost season. Add that on top of the eustachy saga, and the future of Iowa state basketball was in serious doubt.

They turned it around. I learned then that you have to see how things end before deciding a team is a failure.

Yeah, and then they turned it around playing 6 guys plus John Neal for a few minutes. Then we got McDermott.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah I remember walking out of Hilton after the Colorado game thinking it was a lost season. Add that on top of the eustachy saga, and the future of Iowa state basketball was in serious doubt.

They turned it around. I learned then that you have to see how things end before deciding a team is a failure.

Bit of a tangent here, but that Cyclone team might be one of my all-time favorites; winning at Kansas, making the tournament after an 0-5 start in the Big 12, thumping Minnesota, and perhaps most importantly, being the only NCAA tournament team before the Dark Ages of Cyclone basketball.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Bit of a tangent here, but that Cyclone team might be one of my all-time favorites; winning at Kansas, making the tournament after an 0-5 start in the Big 12, thumping Minnesota, and perhaps most importantly, being the only NCAA tournament team before the Dark Ages of Cyclone basketball.

Got run off the floor the next round though. Didn’t stand a chance against a team of pros. We were gassed after the first 10 minutes.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I'm not too surprised that we won today, but in the big picture I do believe that out of all of our conference tournament championship teams that this one is the most unlikely one.

Just think, less than two weeks ago we were down by 21 points at halftime to West Virginia. Now, we're at the top of the world.

What a wonderful turnaround for these players, CSP and his staff, and the whole damn program. What a turnaround for the fan base as well.

This is going to sound stupid, but I wonder if the guy who yelled at CSP after the Texas Tech home loss should get some credit. From what I've read on here, that was a galvanizing moment for the team.

I want to hit agree, but I can't, because of the last paragraph. It was a comment made in the heat of the moment.

Couldn't be prouder of the team, though. The rest I will agree with.

• Agree
Reactions: NateTheBoss

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Iowa State is 8-0 in Big 12 Semifinal and Championship games since 2014. It feels like there's been an amazing streak of either losing in the first round or winning the Big 12 tournament.

It also seems like ISU is never on the NCAA tournament bubble. I don't think there's been a bubble year since that year Johnny told **** Vitale that he kicked his ***.

I think they were bubble/ish with Stinson, Blaylock and Homan. Could be wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Got run off the floor the next round though. Didn’t stand a chance against a team of pros. We were gassed after the first 10 minutes.

Yeah, that started the weird trend of losing to the eventual national champions for what seemed like the next few years whenever we made it to the Big Dance; happened again against Anthony Davis and Kentucky in 2012 and against UCONN in that crazy run back in 2014.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Yeah but Homan kicked ass in that game. UNC won the title that year too.

I think that entire UNC starting lineup went to play in the pros, didn’t it?

I loved that team though. Homan was so tough, Stinson was a stud with Blalock, Clark as a freshman. And the always forgotten Damien Staple (who I sat next to in a sociology class.)

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Edit: never mind.

Was thinking they won 2 B12 tourneys but one was the '96 Final Big Eight tourney.

Which was also awesome.

I think ISU is 6-2 all time in conference title games? Didn't we lose to KU with Grayer and OSU with Hoiberg?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I think that entire UNC starting lineup went to play in the pros, didn’t it?

I loved that team though. Homan was so tough, Stinson was a stud with Blalock, Clark as a freshman. And the always forgotten Damien Staple (who I sat next to in a sociology class.)

Didn't Homan have, like, 20 rebounds in that game?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron