MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Wonder if Theo & Jed will do much with the line-up this off-season? Way too many droughts in the order.

Obviously major pitching issues need addressed.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Wonder if Theo & Jed will do much with the line-up this off-season? Way too many droughts in the order.

Obviously major pitching issues need addressed.

Obviously something needs to be fixed but I just don't see, offensively, where to fix it. We don't have any openings unless we trade a Schwarber and Happ/Baez/Russell for a corner outfielder worth a damn.

It's our big names that have been the most disappointing and obviously getting rid of them isn't the solution.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Yep, this series is over. The Cubs can't ******* hit and they give up a ******* game winning home run to a ******* ginger.
Well Turner is one of the best hitters in baseball now. Guy is nails

And Lasorda an LA icon turned 90 this year. Dodgers are on a bit of a mission

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
In all actuality, this team is going to need 1 starting pitcher, 2 relievers, and at minimum 1 position player Maddon feels comfortable starting every day.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Obviously something needs to be fixed but I just don't see, offensively, where to fix it. We don't have any openings unless we trade a Schwarber and Happ/Baez/Russell for a corner outfielder worth a damn.

It's our big names that have been the most disappointing and obviously getting rid of them isn't the solution.
Recently David Kaplan on the radio has been saying that he thinks Schwarber will be traded this off-season. He usually has some "inside" info and don't think he would just be saying that.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Recently David Kaplan on the radio has been saying that he thinks Schwarber will be traded this off-season. He usually has some "inside" info and don't think he would just be saying that.

Wouldn't shock me but I'm not sure what they'd get.

Knowing the Marlins are into us and want to give up Stanton, I'd love to see us try and get rid of Heyward and Schwarber in a deal.

And I don't think he'd be worth much more because he's only had 2 healthy seasons in 7 attempts and has 10 more years on his contract. Obviously there'd be a few more pieces in there

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Justin Turner's been playing baseball his whole life

Here's a picture of him as a child.

42112-Chucky3.jpg

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Cubs hitters this post-season:

Bryant: .179
Rizzo: .154
Contreras: .182
Heyward: .154
Baez: .000 (not 1 f'ing hit)
Russell: .208
Zobrist: .211

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Wonder if that is more hits with RISP than the entire Cubs team this post-season?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This has 2003 ALCS written all over it. In all seriousness, the comments here are the same comments you were reading after going down 2-1 to the Dodgers last year, and 3-1 to the Indians. Hell, it was said going into the 9th inning of Game 4 of the NLDS. If there's one thing I've learned, it's NEVER write off this team. They do some amazing things with their backs against the wall.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This has 2003 ALCS written all over it. In all seriousness, the comments here are the same comments you were reading after going down 2-1 to the Dodgers last year, and 3-1 to the Indians. Hell, it was said going into the 9th inning of Game 4 of the NLDS. If there's one thing I've learned, it's NEVER write off this team. They do some amazing things with their backs against the wall.

What was the bullpen era last year in the playoffs compared to this year? There's your difference. The starters have been pretty good so far, probably better than last year. The offense has been a bit worse, but not like last years offense in the playoffs was really tearing it up. But the bullpen has been dramatically worse. Part of that is on the manager. You don't bring in John bleeping Lackey to face the top of the lineup in the 9th inning with a man on base.

Speaking of Lackey, it's time fro Maddon to put him in whatever dungeon he had him in during the NLDS. Unless it's the 13th inning and you've run out of pitchers, keep his ass off the mound.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
What was the bullpen era last year in the playoffs compared to this year? There's your difference. The starters have been pretty good so far, probably better than last year. The offense has been a bit worse, but not like last years offense in the playoffs was really tearing it up. But the bullpen has been dramatically worse. Part of that is on the manager. You don't bring in John bleeping Lackey to face the top of the lineup in the 9th inning with a man on base.

Speaking of Lackey, it's time fro Maddon to put him in whatever dungeon he had him in during the NLDS. Unless it's the 13th inning and you've run out of pitchers, keep his ass off the mound.

Through 7 playoff games last year, the Cubs bullpen gave up 11 ER. This year its 19. Last year the Cubs had scored 25 runs through 7 games, this year 20.