MLB: ***Official 2016 - 17 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION CHICAGO CUBS Offseason Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Sounds like Contreras will catch Lester this season. Makes sense, he can hold base runners on much better than Montero. I would guess that probably means Montero will be Arrieta's catcher most starts this year as it seems like Jake's ERA is better with him behind the plate. I'll be surprised if they let Schwarber start a game at catcher any more than once or twice a month. I can see him maybe coming in from LF to finish a game at catcher on a double switch perhaps, he's basically the emergency and situational 3rd catcher and the Cubs surely will be careful not to put him behind the plate much coming off that knee surgery.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
@JimBowden_ESPN: The Cardinals officially announce that Alex Reyes will have Tommy John surgery and is out for the year. Surgery will be done by Dr. Paletta

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
@ESPNChiCubs: Kyle Schwarber was cleared to catch by doctors yesterday

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I really don't see the point in letting Schwarber catch. Before the injury, sure, but now it's just risking their 3rd or 4th best batter. Montero is a free agent after 2017 and then Victor Caratini will come up. Schwarber is a LF at this point.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
Good for Wood. I was hoping the Cubs could bring him back (there are good baseball reasons for it, but especially with Rossy not in the clubhouse every day, Wood is a guy I'd have liked to see stick around), but I can't blame him for wanting a chance to start and he helped deliver the Holy Grail, so he can do whatever he wants. Good for him, I hope he does well.

Also, my single most prized possession was finally finished today. If you hear news that I've died in a fire, you now know what I died trying to save:

View attachment 46485

Can I ask where you got that done, and roughly how much it cost?

I have papers I want to get framed as well, but haven't looked into it yet.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
From bleedcubbieblue.com. Possible good news on the blackout front:

He and Green both noted that an announcement about streaming and coverage within the 14 blackout markets should be coming closer to Opening Night. When I get that information I’ll definitely post it. Green hinted that due to the Cubs’ championship season, demand for carrying these games in the blackout markets is high and it seemed to me that pretty close to all of these games could be carried so that everyone can see all the games without blackout.

• Informative
Reactions: CycloneErik

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Can I ask where you got that done, and roughly how much it cost?

I have papers I want to get framed as well, but haven't looked into it yet.

I went to Michaels in Des Moines. I had just the At Last paper framed. It was $140. Expensive but I think it was worth it. Hobby Lobby may be cheaper.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
From bleedcubbieblue.com. Possible good news on the blackout front:

He and Green both noted that an announcement about streaming and coverage within the 14 blackout markets should be coming closer to Opening Night. When I get that information I’ll definitely post it. Green hinted that due to the Cubs’ championship season, demand for carrying these games in the blackout markets is high and it seemed to me that pretty close to all of these games could be carried so that everyone can see all the games without blackout.

Meaning that the MLB package might be worth it?