MLB: ***Official 2016 - 17 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION CHICAGO CUBS Offseason Thread***

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think it's safe to add Edwards as a lock in the pen as well.

No doubt, if the Cubs hadn't landed Davis this offseason I expected them to look at Edwards as the first internal option to close and he very well may still be their closer of the future.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Vegas Projected Win Totals:

C4UISzgUoAAMuZ9.jpg:large

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
  • Jim BowdenESPN Senior Writer
Spring training is a time for optimism, opportunity and surprises. Every year teams go into camp with plans that, six weeks later, are altered because of injuries, poor performances or the sudden emergence of a rookie or veteran player. There are also late free-agent signings and usually one or two shocking trades that change the shapes of opening-day rosters. With those factors in mind, here are my bold predictions for spring training.

i
1. Jason Heyward will end up in center field on opening day

The Chicago Cubs’ plan for their outfield as they head into spring training is clear. Manager Joe Maddon’s starters are supposed to be Kyle Schwarber in left, Jason Heyward in right and a platoon of Albert Almora and Jon Jay in center. He’s also planning on using Ben Zobrist as his opening-day second baseman while again slotting Javier Baez into a super-utility role.

I understand that’s the plan going in, and it will work if Almora shows that his bat is ready. If that happens, it would give the Cubs two outstanding, Gold Glove-caliber outfielders in right and center to compensate for the below-average defense they’ll get from Schwarber in left.

I’m just not buying that it’s going to play out that way, though. First of all, Baez is one of the best defensive second basemen in baseball and has a chance to be a 30-homer, 30-steals impact player. He showed in the NL playoffs last year that he’s ready for the big stage.

Second, I’m not sure Almora is ready to hit enough to be the Cubs’ primary center fielder and I think he could be better utilized as a defensive replacement for Schwarber in left late in games.

Therefore, I’m predicting that by opening day Zobrist will be moved to right field, Heyward to center and Baez will become the Cubs’ regular second baseman while Almora and Jay become the team’s fourth and fifth outfielders.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It's going to be entirely based on match-ups, just like the last 2 years. Everyone besides Rizzo and Russell will play 2-5 positions depending on the match-up.

yep matchups and giving guys regular rest. Especially after a long playoff run, no reason any of these guys should be playing more than 155 games (and really, only Rizzo should play that many)

Just keep them all healthy for the playoffs.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Good for Wood. I was hoping the Cubs could bring him back (there are good baseball reasons for it, but especially with Rossy not in the clubhouse every day, Wood is a guy I'd have liked to see stick around), but I can't blame him for wanting a chance to start and he helped deliver the Holy Grail, so he can do whatever he wants. Good for him, I hope he does well.

Also, my single most prized possession was finally finished today. If you hear news that I've died in a fire, you now know what I died trying to save:

IMG_1871-3.JPG

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Is it time for the season to start yet?
No kidding, I get excited about the start of Spring Training but then about a week into it or so I'm like lets get to the real games!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron