MLB: ***Official 2016 - 17 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION CHICAGO CUBS Offseason Thread***

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by Bret44, Nov 7, 2016.

1. CloneinWDSM

CloneinWDSM Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Male
    PECOTA predicts Cubs win 88 games on the year.

2. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    Get a 50 game lead in the first half and trade him at the deadline for top pitching prospects

3. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    Chapman blew a lot of leads for a dominant pitcher so it's not like the Cubs haven't had to deal with that before. "dominance" of the relief corps is the last thing I'm worried about. With the Cubs defense, even above average pitchers will look unhittable most nights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    One of the important things they'll have to consider is whether Jake is really good because he's with Bosio, or whether he can be just as good without Bosio. There was a pretty dramatic change in perspective there that helped Jake, they say.

Maybe his stuff would work somewhere else, but those two have a good thing going.

5. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    That seems about 8 games low.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Glad we have some baseball to talk about soon that will give me a reason to contribute more in topics like these instead of the dark cave of politics!

I think the Cubs did OK addressing the bullpen. We knew there were going to be some position player losses with the depth in the system and the payroll. I agree with your analysis but here's a couple more items:

- Health of the Rotation. Still a little shallow in quality depth is someone goes down and Lackey is 38 now so to continue the good health they have had the past 2 seasons is going to be tough to continue
    - Do we see improvement in Jason Heyward at the plate? If he can start to contribute more at the plate it sure helps things in many ways. Can play him in CF some which surely will happen if Baez starts playing nearly every day a Zobrist has to play somewhere and a corner OF spot seems the most likely
    - Who is the next young player to be called up that has a big unexpected immediate impact? Does Happ or Jimenez take a huge step and find their way to Chicago sooner than we thought or does a pitcher or another position player under the radar right now come out of no where and steps in to fill a spot if there is an injury? We've been spoiled the last couple years with all this talent that has come up we almost expect it to happen every year now.

I do think this team has enough roster depth that if they do have a key injury or need to make a big trade mid season to fill a hole they have the guys to bring in an impact player. It's great to come into this season with the weight of the WS streak now off and be able to start to nit pick a solid returning roster

7. BigJCy

BigJCy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    90 actually. I hate the Cardinals as much as anyone but only 77 wins? Seems too low:

PECOTA projections:

[​IMG]

8. boone7247

boone7247 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Male
    CPA
    Near the City
    I get this is just a projections, but it seems way to conservative. When is the last time every team won at least 70 games? Seems like every year there is some team with 65 or so wins if not two teams as such. Last season every division had at least one team that didn't win 70 games. Don't see that changing. Way conservative.

And then that dodger projection just seems way wrong to the rest of the table.

9. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18639004/anthony-rizzo-chicago-cubs-reaches-boy-was-attacked-school

Children at a suburban Chicago school are wearing Cubbie blue in support of a classmate who was severely beaten, and Cubs star Anthony Rizzo is inviting the boy to Wrigley Field when he gets better.

Rizzo tweeted his invitation to 12-year-old Henry Sembdner to watch batting practice and a game, saying he'd heard the seventh-grader was a Cubs fan.

The attack happened last Friday at Kenyon Woods Middle School in South Elgin. Authorities say another student attacked after Henry bumped into him. He suffered facial fractures and other injuries. The boy remains hospitalized, but school officials say his condition is improving and he's breathing on his own after doctors removed a breathing tube.

Police say their investigation is continuing to determine whether the other boy should face criminal charges.

pretty cool move by Rizzo, but I'm curious about the bolded. The boy was beaten bad enough to require a breathing tube and the police are still deciding on whether the other kid should face charges?

10. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    OK, how about an early who makes the 25 man roster debate (no particular order in ranking just keep track of the count. I'm leaving open 2 spots each for debate as I would assume barring injury, trade or poor performance in ST that leads to a release these guys are on the opening day roster.

Obvious locks:

Position players: 13
    1. 1B Rizzo
    2. 2B/OF Zobrist
    3. 3B Bryant
    4. SS Russell
    5. C Contreras
    6. OF Schwarber
    7. OF Heyward
    8. OF Almora
    9. OF Jay
    10. 2B/util Baez
    11. C Montero

La Stella and Szcur are likely the other 2 spots unless there is a surprise veteran signing in ST that pushes 1 of them out as I doubt they would keep a young guy up for spot duty when they could play every day in the minors.

Pitchers: 12
    1. SP Lester
    2. SP Arrietta
    3. SP Hendricks
    4. SP Lackey
    5. SP Montgomery
    6. RHP Davis
    7. RHP Strop
    8. RHP Uehara
    9. RHP Rondon
    10. RHP Grimm

This is where it gets tricky because of the obvious need of at least 1 LHP in the pen which at the moment Duensing and Zastryzny are the best 2 options with Bret Anderson likely starting in AAA as rotation insurance. Cubs seems to have picked up a few reclamation projects for the pen that will likely start the year in AAA too so if someone like Grimm or one of the lefties has a rough spring and someone else really stands out there could be at least 1 spot up for grabs in the pen. After typing this up and going over the roster maybe not as much competition for the last spots than I thought there was but also some interesting names on the non-roster invites as well as guys on the 40 man that could tear it up and potentially get into the conversation too.

11. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    Not sure they can put Anderson in AAA. They may start him out on the DL though.

12. BigJCy

BigJCy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Anyone know much about Mills? I know Dewees was a 2nd round pick I believe just 2 years ago.

13. ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    I think you have your position players right with Szczur and La Stella. Though I would prefer La Stella not be apart of this squad, if just one of Russell/Baez/Zobrist goes down, even for just a day or two, we have no flexible options up the middle.

I think Candelario is close but I have a feeling the Cubs keep letting him destroy the ball in AAA and don't risk hurting his trade bait by letting him fall apart in the MLB like last year.

I would love to see the Cubs resign Travis Wood and hope that idea is not out of the picture. With it looking like the Cubs are going to have times this season with 6-7 pitchers in a rotation, I think he would be great back end help, and his job out of the bullpen the last couple of years has been flawless.

Agree with the 10 pitchers. Unless he's on the DL, I think Anderson is on the roster as well, because you don't sign a guy for $3.5 million to watch him play in Iowa. Kawasaki would be playing for a few MLB teams (not starting, though) and I don't think he's even making a million.

14. ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    Zastryzny is, in my mind, not going to be starting in the majors this year. Not because of lack of talent, but I think, with the Cubs having 4 of their 5 starting pitchers gone in the next 2-3 years, they're going to look into developing some of these guys.

I see Leathersitch or Rollins being our final pitching spot.

15. CyJack13

CyJack13 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    I don't know if I agree that the bullpen is weaker, the Cubs never really had a healthy Strop, Rondon, Chapman trio to end games. Rondon you hurt almost immediately after they got Chapman last year. Getting Strop and Rondon healthy to go along with a healthy Davis and the upside of Edwards is a pretty solid back end of the bullpen.

Also don't see how Almora is a huge key to the season, worst case scenario he flops and you get plus defense and a decent obp with no power from Jay out there.

16. ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    I'm saying key because he's replacing Fowler, who I believe was one of the best leaders on this team last year. Fowler was 3rd on the team in WAR, just barely behind Rizzo, and a hell of a leadoff.

I've got a ton of hype for the kid and think he could be the real deal.

17. CyJack13

CyJack13 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Dewees is a legit prospect so that's not a cheap price, although he loses a lot of value if he can't play CF and Almora is actually younger than him so he's blocked there as long as Almora pans out. The I-Cubs rotation was a disaster last year to the point the Cubs were signing a guy from a Mexican independent league just to eat innings, they should have a real solid rotation this year though, Buchanan, Zastryzny, Aaron Brooks, Mills now, Eddie Butler, Ryan Williams, Pierce Johnson (though he may get moved to the pen), Caleb Davis if he doesn't make the 25 man and the Cubs can agree to not send him back. If one of these guys looks like a solid middle of the rotation MLB starter that would really help the starting pitching concerns going forward.

18. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    Keith Law calls him a command #5 starter. He said Dewees can really run and put the ball in play, but has a grade 20 arm (ie he can only play left, and even then that arm might be too weak to start.)

19. Copley305

Copley305 Member

Apr 10, 2006
    I think it's safe to add Edwards as a lock in the pen as well.

• Agree Agree x 2