*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
To an untrained eye it may seem that way,

But if you truly look at how the had the open 3’s…especially early in the game.

It was 5 out and penetration and kick and quick passes….sometimes tipped passes to the open guy. And none of which was from a double.

Illinois had answers in the passing game REGARDLESS of the defense we threw at them.

Held that team to 72 including what, 3 run out dunks from telegraphed passes?

Granted they missed free throws.

Needed to relax around the hoop tonight. Maybe run more for Milan to get better looks.

Reactions: aauummm

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
*As a result of the defense we threw at them

Held that team to 72 including what, 3 run out dunks from telegraphed passes?

Granted they missed free throws.

Needed to relax around the hoop tonight. Maybe run more for Milan to get better looks.
Yes.

The whole offense was stagnant and credit to Illinois. They play defense one in 10 games.

We helped them by being very vanilla and stagnant offensively.

Reactions: aauummm

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I missed it, too late of a start for me. What a strange-looking box score. Ward had five fouls in 12 minutes? Shannon played 22 minutes?

Great season by the men! We always recalibrate expectations as the season goes, but they way overachieved this year. Future is bright.

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
One can be opposed to Shannon playing (and how it came down) and still recognize we lost this game based on play on the court.
Yeah, but the dude isn’t a rapist (not yet anyway). We most likely don’t know any of the details. To me, it’s a bad look.

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
Double teaming against good/great offensive teams doesn’t work enough to justify wasting 5-6 wide open threes for the best player.

Staff needs to learn. Think we were under-talented in this game, but the large deficit we faced wasn’t completely necessary. Stubbornness
Yeah, I’m wondering this too. At some point, teams are good enough to swing the ball for open looks. That being said, they seemingly got several fortuitous bounces and we did not.

That was the difference. They never went our way. It happens. Keep making the tournament and we’ll have our day!

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Yeah, but the dude isn’t a rapist (not yet anyway). We most likely don’t know any of the details. To me, it’s a bad look.
The only reason he's still on the Illinois team is because the judge forced Illinois to keep him on the team. The judge was an Illinois alum, huge basketball fan, definitely conflict of interest. We had to reinstate Palo (charges were dropped in this case. Charges have not been dropped in the TSJ case) but he was forced to sit at the end of the bench. If the Illinois program had half an ounce of integrity they would have forced rapist boy to sit at the end of the bench all season. Instead they love him and act like nothing happened. Hopefully karma catches up to them and Illinois gets in trouble down the road. I have zero respect for them.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
We gave up too many not-great ORBs, but overall I thought our bigs did OK on the boards (at least on TV it looked like it). I'm gonna miss Ward a lot, he's just such a dude. He's like Hogue with a jet pack! Hopefully Omaha can step into that role.
This is bound to be a hot topic in the next few days, but the bench shots of Omaha were not encouraging. He looked less than thrilled and completely unengaged.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Defense did what it was supposed to. Uncharacteristic FT woes were part of it, but they were over 12 points off their average. Holding them to 35 at the break should have been an indicator that we were in control. We spotted them 10 points in the first which obviously is a killer, but it wasn't because of the defense.

I have nothing to add to what's already been said about Milan except to point out again that our success is closely tied to how he is playing.

Unfortunately, their defensive game plan was perfect. Not in terms of being suffocating or pushing us around, but they dictated the ball movement on our end. Tight coverage on the ball handlers meant we were scrubbing off high screens at the top of the key just to get our guards the ball. How many times was Rob standing at the arc holding the ball, unguarded, waiting for someone to come get the ball? Passing the ball around the perimeter to find a favorable matchup didn't happen at all. That was the extra dimension we added in the B12 tourney and Illinois took it away. Ward was obviously in foul trouble but he and BRE both being totally silent offensively was another indication that they were in the passing lanes. At 51-49 we had 3 chances to tie or take the lead: two relatively easy plays at the rim and a good three point look. Every one of those felt like the moment we were going to blow the roof off the place. Missed them all. Shannon's poke away steals were all stabs in the chest. They had big moments, we kept hanging around waiting for ours.

Tough loss, but everyone in the Sweet 16 is there for a reason. I'm hoping we've changed our culture to where we look back at this as a team that was being built for a successful era rather than a perfect storm of things that came together to give us one great run.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Teams like FAU, VCU, Loyola and George Mason have made the final four. There’s absolutely no reason we can’t get there.
And KSU has 3 Elite 8s since 2010. What does their program have that ours doesn't? With as many tournament invites ISU has had over the years, at some point there has to be an elite 8 run. The opportunities were there, unfortunately one of our great teams was coached by CSP and was completely unprepared for a sweet 16 game, team was not ready from the get go. Last night was a great opportunity, just came out tight, tentative, and soft. Without the bad start I think we win. The next time we play a P6 team in the NCAA Tournament, would like to see TJs team take the court full of confidence and ready to bite a damn bear in the @ss at the opening tip. None of this tentative, tight soft crap. That is 3 tournament games in a row (P6) where they played terrible for the first 10 min.

The NCAA Tournament is cruel, it's one and done. We can have a great team next year and can still get knocked out in the first or second round. Our program is in great shape though, get an athletic big ((William Kyle)and another big guard (J'Vonne Hadley) who has a ton of experience and we are set.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
We have some big time recruits just waiting in the wings and a true freshman that was just baptised in fire. Hopefully the bench guys (Rock and Omaha) are developing and not misses that transfer out. If they develop up to their potential, watch out! This team could be legit final 4 material. We are only for sure losing our current 5s, I think.
Expecting freshman and sophomores outside of top 50 ish players to produce at an elite level is a recipe for disaster. College basketball is about size and skill, which usually means older players or 5* players..

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Welp. Fun season. Way above expectations. This team played hard for each other all year and fought hard to the very end.
Focus needs to immediately shift to player retention. Gilbert is my main concern. I think he could be tempted to leave for perceived greener pastures. Either way next season could be really fun.

Gilbert is a huge concern for me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron