*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Out of curiosity, why isn't the NFL playoffs also given the 'unfair' label since it's also a one game deal?

Not as random and fewer teams?

Longer game and/or less unpredictability?

Seems like the top teams are set up pretty well with home games to the superbowl. (I'm really not a big NFL fan for some reason though, bandwagon Brock fan)

Arizona, ISU and UNC are all good enough I think they'd all still be alive if they were a 1 seed with just home games providing UConn wasn't the team they played at home. As crappy as we played first half tonight I give us a 90% chance if that was at Hilton.

Reactions: HoustonClone

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
They are 0-2 in the S16 under TJ in year 3. Let’s not act like this is some long trend.

Agreed. And good perspective. And I have more hope with TJ than ever before, but SO MUCH needs to go right to get here, let alone win it. But to your point, we have a coach who has proven he can get us here more often, and give us more chances.

I319

Feb 19, 2021
View attachment 126467 vs View attachment 126466

#10 Illinois (28-8, 14-6 BIG 10)
#4 IOWA STATE (29-7, 13-5 BIG 12)
THURSDAY, MARCH 28TH 9:14 P.M. CST
TD Garden / Boston, MA.

TV: TBS
Talent: Kevin Harlan, pxp Dan Bonner, analyst Stan Van Gundy, analyst Andy Katz, sideline

Radio: Cyclone Radio Network (Varsity Network)
CRN Talent: John Walters (pxp); Eric Heft (analyst)
B1G is better

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
For as "bad" as we played tonight, we actually scored out at an 81 for our game score on BartTorvik's site; now, that is a far cry from the 5-game streak of our game scores being 95+, but we didn't lay down a stinker like we comparatively did on the road at Kansas State.

Offensively though it was back to that stinker level

NiDozZS.png

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
You just can't bury yourself in the first half and expect to come back every game.

On one hand you can argue we were terrible at layups, but their uncharacteristic FT shooting kind of offsets that in a way.

Milan simply has to provide more on offense.
this is the 3rd P6 game in a row in the NCAA Tournament where we looked like complete dog sh#t on offense in the first 10 min. We discussed on this board that we absolutely can not come out of the gate slow and that is exactly what we did. Truth is, we were lucky we didn't get down 15 plus because Illinois missed some FTS

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Welp. Fun season. Way above expectations. This team played hard for each other all year and fought hard to the very end.
Focus needs to immediately shift to player retention. Gilbert is my main concern. I think he could be tempted to leave for perceived greener pastures. Either way next season could be really fun.
I hear ya, but this is a national title contender next year. Going to be tough to pry them away. But I hear ya.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Unbelievable that this is the same dude from early season. I cringed when he would shoot. Down the stretch he's been our best player, so consistently good.
Honestly he's been good since the big 13 started, prob most consistent player

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I hear ya, but this is a national title contender next year. Going to be tough to pry them away. But I hear ya.

Every year is rebuilding for all teams now, but if we start with a base of those three guards and Milan that is a hell of a base to build around. I don't see how everybody wouldn't rate that as an objectively top 3 backcourt especially considering defense.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
He didn't seem like he was in the mood to answer questions, understandably.
I feel bad for him. I think that missed bunny got in his head. It seems he wasn't the same player after that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I feel bad for him. I think that missed bunny got in his head. It seems he wasn't the same player after that.

Yep and imo CW went a little Randy Pete with the questions in a 'read the room' kinda way.

Maybe the guys don't want to talk about **** that will haunt them for a long while right after the game.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yep and imo CW went a little Randy Pete with the questions in a 'read the room' kinda way.

Maybe the guys don't want to talk about **** that will haunt them for a long while right after the game.

CW keeps saying on the pods that “fans are craving player interviews” and surprise surprise I hate them lol.

Reactions: madguy30

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Double teaming against good/great offensive teams doesn’t work enough to justify wasting 5-6 wide open threes for the best player.

Staff needs to learn. Think we were under-talented in this game, but the large deficit we faced wasn’t completely necessary. Stubbornness

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Honestly the locker room interviews are probably pretty normal, but the video probably makes it seem worse because you can really see the emotion they're feeling a lot more.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
CW keeps saying on the pods that “fans are craving player interviews” and surprise surprise I hate them lol.

I like them for non-game stories after practice or whatever about their perspective on different things or their life experiences but 'can you take us through that sequence when **** hit the fan in the most important game of your life?' 30 minutes after isn't respecting boundaries.

Reactions: aauummm

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Double teaming against good/great offensive teams doesn’t work enough to justify wasting 5-6 wide open threes for the best player.

Staff needs to learn. Think we were under-talented in this game, but the large deficit we faced wasn’t completely necessary. Stubbornness
Nah. We did enough defensively to win that game. The offense faltered.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011

To an untrained eye it may seem that way,

But if you truly look at how the had the open 3’s…especially early in the game.

It was 5 out and penetration and kick and quick passes….sometimes tipped passes to the open guy. And none of which was from a double.

Illinois had answers in the passing game REGARDLESS of the defense we threw at them.

I’m going to edit:

That I am not trained and I’m not implying you are untrained.

Reactions: madguy30

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
To an untrained eye it may seem that way,

But if you truly look at how the had the open 3’s…especially early in the game.

It was 5 out and penetration and kick and quick passes….sometimes tipped passes to the open guy. And none of which was from a double.

Illinois had answers in the passing game REGARDLESS of the defense we threw at them.
*As a result of the defense we threw at them

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron