*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My favorite is the beginning of game overreactions.

IL builds a small lead or ISU misses a few shots to open the game?

“Not our night! Why didn’t TJ have the guys ready? Typical Iowa State!”

Or if ISU jumps out to a good lead but the other team with D1 bball players and coaches makes a run like almost every basketball game: 'why didn't ISU blow them out when they had the chance!?'

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Or if ISU jumps out to a good lead but the other team with D1 bball players and coaches makes a run like almost every basketball game: 'why didn't ISU blow them out when they had the chance!?'

That one's fair, though. We've only won 29 games. It's not clear that we know how to close teams out when it counts.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Since I wasn't going to do anything productive, I watched parts of the Illinois BigTen tourney games.

Some thoughts:

Shannon is just a load, and he seems to kind of ebb and flow with the game, where he will be really aggressive for a stretch, and feed off of going on a run - and then back off for a while when others step up. Quite a few times he camped out in the corner for the first 15 seconds of the shot clock while his teammates ran some offense, and if they didn't get a shot, then he'd come get the ball. He's got a really quick release and his 3pt shot has been excellent this year - he's also a bowling ball going down the lane, he looks for contact and shoots a ton of FTs.

In the build up to this game, the Illinois fans talked a ton about pushing the pace and scoring in transition, but that's a bit of a misnomer. Per the NCAA stats, they are 96th in fast break points at just under 12 per game, about 1 point per game more than us (127th). TCU scores a TON more in transition (almost 18ppg). For reference TCU had 22 fast break points in that CRAZY game on the road, but only 6 in the game in Ames.

What Illinois does is a bit different, it's more of early offense, rather than fast break, or maybe what Kansas used to call a "secondary break". But really it's just Shannon going ISO early in the shot clock. He'll pull up for 3s, or just barrel down the lane before the defense is set. It's important for us to get our defense set early - and to pick him up at mid court.

Coleman Hawkins is really good - better than his stats. He moves like a guard on the perimeter, both in terms of taking the opposing big off the dribble, and one dribble side-step 3s, or a fake dribble drive step back 3. You usually don't see that with a 6'10" post. However, he's not as good in the paint on either end.

In both games I watched, there was a LOT of "5 out" play on both ends which then ended with layups. Illinois can really hurt us if they keep good spacing, then iso Domask or Shannon. But they appear to really struggle with defending the pick and roll up top. If the offense is "5 out", then the big helps too much and gives up an open layup - their help side defense isn't good. If there is someone down low, the big tends to stay in drop coverage which gives a lot of room for mid range shots. Tamin and Keshon hitting elbow jumpers, and Curtis making his floater, is definitely a key - but I think Keshon will have a lot of success getting to the rim too.

They are a good rebounding team, but not in a way that worries me too much, but we do need to make sure they don't get too many shots their, they crash the offensive glass with 3 guys often and like to tip the ball out, etc.

Domask is definitely a key - but I didn't see anything he did in that tourney that he'll get easy against Tamin. It's a great matchup to watch. Against Wisconsin in the championship, he backed down the smaller Wisconsin guard over and over, but they didn't do anything but stand there with their hands up as he hit turn around jumpers over him. He'll get doubled if he gets down low against us, but I think Tamin could have a field day just swiping the ball away too. And I don't think Tamin will let him push him down to the block.

Overall a fascination matchup. Illinois has only been held under 70 three times this year, two very early and one (Maryland) without Shannon. But if we control the pace like I think we will, I think we have a good chance to hold them under 70, which is an almost guaranteed win. But we need to score 70 - so we can't have a horrible 3pt shooting day.

I could see a situation where either team is blown out, or where it comes down to a last second shot, but I think the defense does it's thing, and we score just enough to put it away with FTs at the end, winning 75-67.

Reactions: ScheelhaaseRock

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
This has to be a new CF record for the longest thread before the game starts.

Reactions: aauummm