Odd Will McDonald scouting report for 2023 NFL Draft

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
View attachment 104247
On one hand it’s a pretty damn glowing review on his potential. Seems like some scouts really do believe he has 1st round potential this next year.

Very weird second paragraph on this here though. Almost makes it insinuate he has some character concerns. I hadn’t exactly heard of any issues like that beforehand.

Should acknowledge that this is from WalterFootball, who’s been known to talk out of his ass from time to time. But who knows. Just thought it was a little strange.
Yeah, the quote went downhill in a hurry in the second paragraph. I don't buy any of it. Maybe a little in terms of diet, in that he hasn't been able to gain weight? But is he really trying and do the coaches want him to? The quote doesn't even expand on the meaning.

Never heard a bad thing about Will during his time here. That trumps anything this guy is sayng that might be negative.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I think that his biggest issue is that he can't put on weight. You know that the staff has tried. Either that or he doesn't carry extra weight all that well. He was always a designated pass rusher in the NFL...just because he wasn't going to get to 265. Still, he has a bright future. I do feel like the 3-3-5 is probably the wrong defense for him. He should be a 4-3 DE.
Or a 3-4 outside linebacker.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The only thing Will has a problem with is a high metabolism. I had the same problem at ISU and couldn't gain weight for anything. I would eat everything I could at training table, then on Sunday's I'd make a pot roast with carrots and potatoes in the crock pot or I'd go gorge myself at King Buffet. Still could never reach the weight the coaches preferred.

My college gf's dad would always make fun of me saying as soon as I was done with FB I'd be 400 lbs. To this day every year when he drops his taxes off to me he still says he can't believe that I'm not 400 lbs.
Good job getting up to 450 just to prove him wrong.

;)

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
That's a pretty bold statement.

It is but Micah is 6’3 245, Will is 6’4 245. Both are elite pass rushers. I realize Micah is an elite pass rusher in the NFL. The other is about to break the conference sack record and is an all American in college.

chiroclone88

Nov 14, 2006
I'm not a robot
The only thing Will has a problem with is a high metabolism. I had the same problem at ISU and couldn't gain weight for anything. I would eat everything I could at training table, then on Sunday's I'd make a pot roast with carrots and potatoes in the crock pot or I'd go gorge myself at King Buffet. Still could never reach the weight the coaches preferred.

My college gf's dad would always make fun of me saying as soon as I was done with FB I'd be 400 lbs. To this day every year when he drops his taxes off to me he still says he can't believe that I'm not 400 lbs.
Maybe your scale only goes up to 399? ;)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It is but Micah is 6’3 245, Will is 6’4 245. Both are elite pass rushers. I realize Micah is an elite pass rusher in the NFL. The other is about to break the conference sack record and is an all American in college.
At this point Parsons is appearing to be a generational talent. Let's let Will make the NFL before we start putting that on him.

Reactions: tzjung

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Or a 3-4 outside linebacker.

I could see that, but I have some doubts on his ability to get out into coverage. I kind of see him as a 4-3 DE that comes in on 3rd down to rush the passer. Maybe at some point, his metabolism slows down and he gets up to 260 and he ends up being more of a 3 down player.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
At this point Parsons is appearing to be a generational talent. Let's let Will make the NFL before we start putting that on him.

I agree totally but they are similar players in stature so no Will doesn’t need to put on a bunch of weight to be successful in the NFL is what I am trying to say

Reactions: VeloClone

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Obviously the NFL has more resources at their disposal, but it won't say a lot for our program and the SC/Dietetics side of things if he gains weight immediately upon being drafted. We've supposedly been trying to get him bigger for 2 years and it hasn't happened.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I kind of love the idea of a first round NFL player sitting at third kitchen table balancing their checkbook.

Reactions: khardbored

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I kind of love the idea of a first round NFL player sitting at third kitchen table balancing their checkbook.
More probably should honestly. I know it's gotten better but that 30 for 30 about athletes going broke was wild.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Obviously the NFL has more resources at their disposal, but it won't say a lot for our program and the SC/Dietetics side of things if he gains weight immediately upon being drafted. We've supposedly been trying to get him bigger for 2 years and it hasn't happened.

Almost all players in the NFL become better physically upon completing college. They have more time to dedicate to their bodies not to mention they have more $ resources to put MORE of the right foods in their bodies. It isn't a knock on the school's S&C program at all.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
If anything, he needs to eat more.
I think that's the concern, he's undersized and hasn't shown the ability to add weight or keep the weight on. Diet in football is just as much about adding good weight as it is losing weight/fat.