Odd Will McDonald scouting report for 2023 NFL Draft

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
If anything, he needs to eat more.
To be fair - saying he needs a diet isn't saying he needs to lose weight. I think ( though I don't know) in this case I think the scouting report is saying he needs dietary help and monitoring to make sure he can gain and maintain weight not lose weight.

Reactions: ajspatio19

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I see Micah Parsons in him
Uh, hmm, NO.

First, Micah Parson is a linebacker who doesn't even rush the QB every play or at least didn't originally and finished top 15 in coverage for all linebackers as a rookie. So he's an elite pass rusher and a near elite defender in coverage.

Second, Micah Parson's is slightly bigger.
Parson's also ran a 4.39 40 yard dash.

Parson's is an elite freak of an athlete and rusher - Will is a great Cyclone and very good pass rusher but he's not Parson's.

TJ Watt is really the only modern player off the edge I'd say is in Parson's league.
Von Miller maybe but probably not at this stage of his career - prime time healthy Miller yes.
Bosa maybe? But neither of them seem to be able to stay healthy.
Mack's probably past his prime some.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Uh, hmm, NO.

First, Micah Parson is a linebacker who doesn't even rush the QB every play or at least didn't originally and finished top 15 in coverage for all linebackers as a rookie. So he's an elite pass rusher and a near elite defender in coverage.

Parson's is an elite freak of an athlete and rusher - Will is a great Cyclone and very good pass rusher but he's not Parson's.

TJ Watt is really the only modern player off the edge I'd say is in Parson's league.
Von Miller maybe but probably not at this stage of his career - prime time healthy Miller yes.

Holy **** dumb ass I was just comparing their size in the fact that Will can be successful in the NFL without putting on a bunch of weight. I thought I clarified it earlier.

Reactions: khardbored

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Holy **** dumb ass I was just comparing their size in the fact that Will can be successful in the NFL without putting on a bunch of weight. I thought I clarified it earlier
Holy **** yourself. don't make dumb comparisons regarding totally different players just because they are around the same size and say you see them in them which you then have to clarify. Just a suggestion.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I fear that Will McDonald is going down the Mike Rose path with regards to NFL upside. Great college player that's just a bit of a tweener for his position, and perhaps just lacking a few critical components (speed for Mike, size for Will). Great college players that took too many snaps at the collegiate level. Hell, I think Greg Eisworth fits in this category as well. Xavier Hutchinson profiles this way also. Guys that put their body thru the ringer for this program and were all spent up by the time their name could be called.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
But does he sweat?
I don't believe Superman sweats! I could be wrong.
The only thing Will has a problem with is a high metabolism. I had the same problem at ISU and couldn't gain weight for anything. I would eat everything I could at training table, then on Sunday's I'd make a pot roast with carrots and potatoes in the crock pot or I'd go gorge myself at King Buffet. Still could never reach the weight the coaches preferred.

My college gf's dad would always make fun of me saying as soon as I was done with FB I'd be 400 lbs. To this day every year when he drops his taxes off to me he still says he can't believe that I'm not 400 lbs.
Maybe your scale only goes up to 399? ;)
Good job getting up to 450 just to prove him wrong.

;)
There is a thread for that. Right here!
Uh, hmm, NO.

Will is better. Way better. Will way better.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
I fear that Will McDonald is going down the Mike Rose path with regards to NFL upside. Great college player that's just a bit of a tweener for his position, and perhaps just lacking a few critical components (speed for Mike, size for Will). Great college players that took too many snaps at the collegiate level. Hell, I think Greg Eisworth fits in this category as well. Xavier Hutchinson profiles this way also. Guys that put their body thru the ringer for this program and were all spent up by the time their name could be called.
I’m gonna say with confidence that he’s not gonna be another Rose exactly where he doesn’t even get drafted and doesn’t make a team.

That’s not me saying he’ll succeed at the next level. But there’s too much there for a team not to take a shot no later than the mid rounds of the draft. I really don’t think that him and X will become Mike Rose situations.

For the cases of Rose/Eisworth/Bailey, athleticism was much more the issue. They were far too limited in that regard. I don’t think X and Will will have that same issue. They should both test out pretty well next spring. If anything, I’d say Hakeem Butler would be a better comparison for what could happen with Will if the athleticism doesn’t translate.

Also with X, I wouldn’t lump him into that category. Sure his speed isn’t elite, but I think he definitely fits the mold of plenty of modern WR’s. Matt Miller just mentioned in an ESPN+ article that he thinks he’s a sleeper to become a top 75 prospect.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’m gonna say with confidence that he’s not gonna be another Rose exactly where he doesn’t even get drafted and doesn’t make a team.

That’s not me saying he’ll succeed at the next level. But there’s too much there for a team not to take a shot no later than the mid rounds of the draft. I really don’t think that him and X will become Mike Rose situations.

For the cases of Rose/Eisworth/Bailey, athleticism was much more the issue. They were far too limited in that regard. I don’t think X and Will will have that same issue. They should both test out pretty well next spring. If anything, I’d say Hakeem Butler would be a better comparison for what could happen with Will if the athleticism doesn’t translate.

Also with X, I wouldn’t lump him into that category. Sure his speed isn’t elite, but I think he definitely fits the mold of plenty of modern WR’s. Matt Miller just mentioned in an ESPN+ article that he thinks he’s a sleeper to become a top 75 prospect.
Rose was different because of the arm surgery stuff.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I don’t think being physically spent by college programs a contributing factor to why most guys don’t make it. There’s just a different level required in the NFL. Hutchinson and Will will both be drafted and hopefully have productive careers. Rose… well I had higher hopes for Rose and I still feel like if he got leaner he might make a roster. I think Eisworth really maxed out his potential at ISU, he just wasn’t fast enough for the NFL.

Lazard is probably the poster boy of a great college player who went through NFL adversity. He had a lingering injury through the draft process, the NFL had four years of tape (in several offenses with several QBs) to find faults, and he was a positional tweener. He had work ethic questions during the draft process and an agent that didn’t know how to market him. But he always had the talent, worked through it, and now is a NFL starter.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
You guys are on drugs. Will is going to be a late first rounder and will be a great rush end right away. He's the best player every time he steps on the field.

Teams double him every play, sometimes triple. Teams literally set their whole game plan around him.

Only worry he has is getting hurt.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
You guys are on drugs. Will is going to be a late first rounder and will be a great rush end right away. He's the best player every time he steps on the field.

Teams double him every play, sometimes triple. Teams literally set their whole game plan around him.

Only worry he has is getting hurt.
Idk, he is a really great college player, bordering on elite even, but his size will prevent him from being elite at the next level IMO. Hope I'm wrong.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Who was the kid the Bears drafted from Georgia and let move on to the Rams?

He seems to fit the too skinny pass rusher dynamic.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
He probably thought he had to put some negatives for each guy and heard that Will has struggled to put on weight so he extrapolated that to "he's undisciplined"
Like everyone has said, I'm sure we would have heard of any actual character concerns.

Reactions: khardbored

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Will is essentially the same size as Micah Parsons. Micah has had a pretty successful start to his career in Dallas.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Will is essentially the same size as Micah Parsons. Micah has had a pretty successful start to his career in Dallas.
I love Will but knock it off with the Parsons comparisons. I know you didn't specifically make the comparison beyond size but the implication is clearly there.

Parsons often beats two NFL linemen double teaming him. Parsons is an athletic freak who could excel playing DE, ILB, OLB, SS, or FS. He could probably hold his own in limited CB and DT duty as well. In the game the other night the only way they could limit him was to build their entire offensive plan around making him decide and going the other way when he did.

Will has been double teamed a lot at this level and has been largely shut down by it. The best thing that could happen to him is for one of the other defensive linemen to start beating their guy so they have to rethink double teaming Will ever play.

It probably wouldn't hurt if they called holding on the guys blocking him once in a while either.