NOW PLAYING: Under the radar

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
The Fifth Wave was one of my guilty pleasures. It stars Chloe Grace Moritz. I was so intrigued by the concept of the film, I had to look up the books it was based on and read all three of them to find out what happened.

Another one I watched that not many people have seen is a more recent film Hell or High Water, starring Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges. Really terrific movie.

Reactions: cyrocksmypants

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
"Flirting With Disaster" was pretty funny. Have you seen Russell's first film, "Spanking the Monkey"? That was pretty good, too.
My buddy went to high school (Rockford, Iowa) with Jeremy Davies, who landed his first starring role in Spanking the Monkey. Davies is probably best known for roles in Saving Private Ryan and Lost.

Reactions: SCyclone

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The Fifth Wave was one of my guilty pleasures. It stars Chloe Grace Moritz. I was so intrigued by the concept of the film, I had to look up the books it was based on and read all three of them to find out what happened.

Another one I watched that not many people have seen is a more recent film Hell or High Water, starring Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges. Really terrific movie.

I thought it dragged and ended kind of weak, but definitely was an intriguing one that kept me watching.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One of my favorites from the Zeroes. Hard to deduce much from the trailer. But if you think that's difficult to penetrate, wait 'til you see the movie. Multiple viewings are essential. And even then ...

I've watched it a few times. Loved it, but still don't get it completely. Definitely not a movie for people who just want dumb entertainment. You have to think... like a lot, to get this one at all.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Kurt Russel's only good film in my opinion.
giphy.gif

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

I really liked The Fifth Wave too. I thought it was intriguing and a good story. And Chloe is a great young actress. I feel like it had some issues later in the film, but I still want to know what happens. I can kind of see some of the criticism of the movie, as it's not the best, but I still liked it.

I should probably read the books as they are probably better than the movie anyways. I just never make enough time to read .

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I absolutely love this movie and have watched it a dozen times. My wife hates it because it confused the hell out of her the first time she watched it. It's one of those movies that you catch something new every time you watch it. And if you don't know what to expect going into it, you wont get it.
I was warned before I saw this the first time. If I hadn't I probably would have turned it off. You have to watch it at least twice. Once you understand the concept it get easier to start picking up everything that happens.

• Agree

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I've watched it a few times. Loved it, but still don't get it completely. Definitely not a movie for people who just want dumb entertainment. You have to think... like a lot, to get this one at all.

Agree, it's challenges the viewer more than most movies. I've seen it six or seven times (maybe even more in an alternate timeline :)) and it's not easy to absorb what's happening and why.

I hesitate to label it as a thinking-film for those who haven't seen it, because it makes it sound like it'd be dull or boring. It isn't. Even if you can't fit together the full puzzle, it keeps you compelled as it unfolds.

A byproduct of it being complex is, the viewer is trying to figure out what's happening as the characters are trying to grasp the situation, too. They're as perplexed as we are.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Oh, speaking of freaking weird ass movies that don't make sense the first time...

THE CUBE!!!

This movie is pretty messed up, but it's great. And you do actually have to think to figure it all out at the end.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
If you are looking for a post-apocalyptic zombie thriller film with an Aussie outback flare you should check out Cargo (2017) on Netflix. Most excellent acting in this with Martin Freeman. Not posting a trailer, the ones I've seen give anyway too much IMHO.

Cargo-Movie-poster.jpg

(Posted this earlier in the Walking Dead thread but I think it was a waste of time cause if you are still watching Walking Dead you might be dead.)
It wasn't a waste of time. I watched it.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Agree, it's challenges the viewer more than most movies. I've seen it six or seven times (maybe even more in an alternate timeline :)) and it's not easy to absorb what's happening and why.

I hesitate to label it as a thinking-film for those who haven't seen it, because it makes it sound like it'd be dull or boring. It isn't. Even if you can't fit together the full puzzle, it keeps you compelled as it unfolds.

A byproduct of it being complex is, the viewer is trying to figure out what's happening as the characters are trying to grasp the situation, too. They're as perplexed as we are.

It's definitely challenging. I won't even suggest it to my wife. I know she'd hate it. She's smart, but I know she wouldn't want to try to figure it out.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I’ve always loved Warren Miller’s ski movies. Whenever I could find them as a kid I’d rent the VHS. I was obsessed with Endless Winter as a teenager and was convinced that would be my life. I went to one of his openings while I lived in Colorado and had a blast. I still love watching all his new and old movies and my kids now love them. Maybe one of them will end up being the ski travel bum, which I’d beg them to let me tag along.

They obviously aren’t cinematic marvels or thinking movies. Just a glimpse into a life I’d love to live for a year.

RIP Warren.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If you are looking for a post-apocalyptic zombie thriller film with an Aussie outback flare you should check out Cargo (2017) on Netflix. Most excellent acting in this with Martin Freeman. Not posting a trailer, the ones I've seen give anyway too much IMHO.

Cargo-Movie-poster.jpg

(Posted this earlier in the Walking Dead thread but I think it was a waste of time cause if you are still watching Walking Dead you might be dead.)

Added to my Netflix Watch List. Now the challenge will be to get the wife to watch it.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I’ve always loved Warren Miller’s ski movies. Whenever I could find them as a kid I’d rent the VHS. I was obsessed with Endless Winter as a teenager and was convinced that would be my life. I went to one of his openings while I lived in Colorado and had a blast. I still love watching all his new and old movies and my kids now love them. Maybe one of them will end up being the ski travel bum, which I’d beg them to let me tag along.

They obviously aren’t cinematic marvels or thinking movies. Just a glimpse into a life I’d love to live for a year.

RIP Warren.

All I can think of when someone mentions Ski Movies is Better Off Dead. Classic Cusak! Also a pretty underrated movie since a lot of youngsters have never seen it.

I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Oh, speaking of freaking weird ass movies that don't make sense the first time...

THE CUBE!!!

This movie is pretty messed up, but it's great. And you do actually have to think to figure it all out at the end.

@GTO recommended this to me in the old horror movie thread, and I thought it was really intriguing. They made two (or maybe even three?) sequels that weren’t as good but still worth a watch on a lazy rainy Sunday.

There’s also a recent movie that’s really similar based in the morals questioned that GTO recommended that was really good, but now for the life of me I can’t remember the name of it.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
@GTO recommended this to me in the old horror movie thread, and I thought it was really intriguing. They made two (or maybe even three?) sequels that weren’t as good but still worth a watch on a lazy rainy Sunday.

There’s also a recent movie that’s really similar based in the morals questioned that GTO recommended that was really good, but now for the life of me I can’t remember the name of it.
You're thinking of Circle.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3118452/

A somewhat similarly themed movie is The Human Race. Give that one a shot, if you haven't seen it.

Another insteresting one was Embers. You might like that one as well.

• Winner
Reactions: cyrocksmypants