Not sold on up coming season(especially)oline again

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm actually kind of optimistic about the line. There was major improvement last year and this transfer from Princeton is getting good feedback from coaches. Neal and Black have shown flashes and are young. Just need two other guys out of the rest to hold their own or improve.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm a man, I'm 40 now. I've gotten some perspective on life.

This season, we will win between 5 and 7 games. We'll lose to a garbage team, and beat a Top 15 team.

We'll creep into the rankings, the Cyclone homer media will whisper about conference championships, but we won't ever really be in the running. But that doesn't sell ads nearly as well.

I'll drink dozens of beers, grill a bunch of things, get sunburned and frostbitten.

It's a fun ride and I'm here for it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm a man, I'm 40 now. I've gotten some perspective on life.

This season, we will win between 5 and 7 games. We'll lose to a garbage team, and beat a Top 15 team.

We'll creep into the rankings, the Cyclone homer media will whisper about conference championships, but we won't ever really be in the running. But that doesn't sell ads nearly as well.

I'll drink dozens of beers, grill a bunch of things, get sunburned and frostbitten.

It's a fun ride and I'm here for it.

Got all the hits in there. Add in a weird loss because of special teams or us fans wondering what exactly goes on in August camp.

5-6 wins would actually be too bad and 7 would be fine but have some humor to it since the 'they'd win 9-10 games with an easier schedule!' crowd wouldn't have much to say.

Sometimes average shows out as average no matter the schedule.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We’re gonna win 8-9 games. We’re going to lose to Iowa because we always lose to Iowa. We’re going to lose to Utah because it’s there and they’re good. We’re gonna lose to a bad team (Houston?) because we always lose to a bad team. We may have another loss.

We’ll also beat the **** out of a bunch of teams we’re similar to, we’ll win a road game we’re dogs in (WV? KU?). We’ll have a 3-4 game midseason winning streak that puts us in conference title talk.

We’ll get demolished in our bowl game in some G5 school’s home stadium.

The season as a whole will be fun and wildly exceed our historical norm.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Went from Big 12 to the Watered Down 16 and people are still like “7 wInths isth a gweat sweazon wotters”

“Oh, and we’re gonna louth to Iowa evewe yewr just accwept it and move on Matt Campbwell is the best coach in CFB peewiod.”

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We’ll win 5-8 games because CMC is a good coach, but not a great coach.

As some have said…. we’ll start the season slow, we’ll lose to Iowa because we always do, we’ll have a great win or two, and we’ll lose a couple we have no business losing…. rinse and repeat.

I do think we’ll have the talent to do something special, but coaching will cost us several games we should win.

And no, I’m not saying get rid of CMC. I think he’s the best we can hope for at ISU. We aren’t going to be able to get anyone better.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Who really has a dominate line anyway? Iowa used to have dominate lines, but now they are often blamed for their failures. I would say most fan bases are critical of the offensive line.

The line was improved last year, but we were wildly inconsistent. We return everyone and add several new guys that will compete for starting spots. We will be better this year, it is just how much better.

I also contend that we have the skill players and the defense to compete with anyone this year.

I'm actually very impressed by how quickly CMC has recovered from the 4 win season and the gambling fiasco. It is pretty cool thinking we may contend for the Big 12 this year after that **** all happened. Our program has never been better. If you don't believe me look back at the history of our records before Matt.

Last edited:

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Regarding the Iowa game, have a little faith folks.

We won the last time we played in Iowa City and the early point spread has us as a 2.5 point dog which means they see our two teams as dead even since the home field advantage equates to 3 points.

Not guaranteeing a win, but I'd say it's a toss up game.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone and Tailg8er

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Regarding the Iowa game, have a little faith folks.

We won the last time we played in Iowa City and the early point spread has us as a 2.5 point dog which means they see our two teams as dead even since the home field advantage equates to 3 points.

Not guaranteeing a win, but I'd say it's a toss up game.
College home teams are usually handled a little differently. At one point Kinnick stadium was a 6 pt advantage and Jack Trice was 5 I believe.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I’m thinking 7 games won. We need to be consistent. Consistently good. We’ll see. There is some talent.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Who really has a dominate line anyway? Iowa used to have dominate lines, but now they are often blamed for their failures. I would say most fan bases are critical of the offensive line.

The line was improved last year, but we were wildly inconsistent. We return everyone and add several new guys that will compete for starting spots. We will be better this year, it is just how much better.

I also contend that we have the skill players and the defense to compete with anyone this year.

I'm actually very impressed by how quickly CMC has recovered from the 4 win season and the gambling fiasco. It is pretty cool thinking we may content for the Big 12 this year after that **** all happened. Our program has never been better. If you don't believe me look back at the history of our records before Matt.

4-8 in 2022 is kind of underrated imo with so many losses coming down to a few things here and there in a general re-start for the program. Like at least the bottom didn't fall out with exception to the TCU game.

That doesn't mean the team was good and it's the same story at ISU over decades (just a play or two away!); they just weren't as awful as it seems to be remembered.

Meanwhile 2020 gets revered as some sort of standard when that team was a few plays away from 6-7 wins, while 2021 gets pissed on for about the same group of players not pulling out the same close wins.

Fanmanship is funny.

SleepyEyeCy

Aug 5, 2023
I have high hopes and expectations for this season. The floor should be 9 wins with the possibility of the Big12 championship game and possibly playoffs. I tend to be optimistic as I have a "what we need to do to..." attitude and not the world is against us mentality.

I read Iowa State has the second most production returning from last season. There is a lot to be excited and optimistic about this coming season (in all sports). Enjoy the ride.

I am a season ticket holder and plan to make road trips to West Virginia, Kansas and Utah. It is setting up to be an all-time year for the Clones and I want to see and experience it.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I'm actually very impressed by how quickly CMC has recovered from the 4 win season and the gambling fiasco. It is pretty cool thinking we may content for the Big 12 this year after that **** all happened. Our program has never been better. If you don't believe me look back at the history of our records before Matt.

You are right about it being wildly inconsistent. They looked really good against BYU and KSU. But, some of those games like UT, Ohio, Memphis they had zero push and our running game was nonexistent. Scheelhause did fine, but I really hope Mouser does a better job with formations and plays to make the offense less predictable.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
You are right about it being wildly inconsistent. They looked really good against BYU and KSU. But, some of those games like UT, Ohio, Memphis they had zero push and our running game was nonexistent. Scheelhause did fine, but I really hope Mouser does a better job with formations and plays to make the offense less predictable.
I played high school football, but I played running back and linebacker. My son, however, played offensive line in High School. Until watching my son, I never realized how difficult it is to play on the offensive line. No other position requires you win a physical matchup with an opponent every single play. No mistakes. No excuses about how big the other dude is. And, ideally, we want you to put that opponent on his back. It really is pretty crazy. The other thing I learned as a parent of a lineman is that it is always the offensive line's fault. Doesn't matter if the back hit the wrong hole or if the play call ran right into the meat of the defense. If the play does not work it is because of the line didn't get enough push.

I believe the key is for the line to be able to work well together. It is difficult to physically dominate Big 12 lineman one on one, but we need can create holes with effective combination blocks, traps and pulls. We also need our backs to show they are a year older now. For two years it has been obvious we had backs that were still learning. I think this also led to inconsistency in the run game. I too am excited to see if Mouser can exploit weaknesses in the defense and/or give Rocco the ability to change plays based on the defense. Finally, we also need to see that violence that our offensive line coach keeps talking about.