Next coach options?

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
CPR will not be coach forever. (Nor will the next coach) or the coach after him... etc...
But this "next" coach, (whenever that may be), better bring a rather high eyebrow raising philosophy, attitude & staff that has nothing on their mind but shear winning. And "football recruiting skills" similar to Otz is to our BB program.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Everett Withers, James Madison University Head Football Coach. Long resume as an assistant coach at a number of P5 schools, and the success he's having at JMU is perhaps unprecedented in the school's history. I wonder if ISU has any reasonable chance at landing him with the seeming two dozen other teams looking for a new head coach? It's going to be a very, very silly off season.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Chris Klieman, anyone here remember him? North Dakota State's head coach. When NDSU bopped us but good in the 2014 opener, that team looked very well-coached. And, NDSU got stronger as the day went on. Fundamentally sound, no question.

Last season NDSU was FCS national champion (iirc), with one loss (UNI in Cedar Falls).

This season, NDSU finished 9-2, the pair of losses each by three points. I like the idea that Klieman could open a new recruiting area that might work some for ISU, the northern reaches of the upper Midwest. For linemen. Combine that with our usual forays into the South. . . .

Klieman is from Waterloo (Columbus).

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Left the boards for a while to get some work done. I come back & Rhoads hasn't been fired yet??? God damn it Jamie, pull the ******* trigger.

I'd like to see the opposite of McCarney & Rhoads: a pro style offensive minded coach with head coaching experience, ties to the Midwest, but absolutely no previous affiliation to Iowa State. This program is psychologically cursed. Losing so many close games has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Every time we lose momentum, the hand wringing begins and everyone starts expecting the worst. It's ******* incredible. It doesn't happen to anyone else like it happens to ISU, and someone needs to come in and ******* BREAK that mentality. Punch back for ******'s sake.

This. Great post. So true.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
A fathead cutout of Nick Saban, lower cost and yet able to recruit and coach better than our current guy.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I haven't seen his name thrown around but Todd Monken might be someone to consider. I don't know a lot about him, but he's turned Southern Miss around from an 0-12 season three years ago to playing for a division title next week. He's from the midwest and has Big 12 experience (OC for oSu's 2011 team). I get the same feeling about him as I had about Justin Fuente last year.

Very intriguing and realistic candidate

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
The more I think about it the more he'll be back because JP doesn't have the Intestinal fortitude to make the choice. Then followed by a bunch of excuses but you can't sell excuses next year.

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
Sounds like Les Miles might be out at LSU. Just want to know anyone's thoughts on him as a potential replacement. Not saying preference or possibility.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Rob Carey HC NIU or Klieman (sp?) HC NDSU. Both are HCs that took over from successful HCs and have done very well. Both have beaten P5 teams and both are from the upper midwest and both have not been mentioned for any jobs and I would think either one would be better than what we have now. Now the only risks with them is they took over jobs where the programs were already built. I also like the thought of Tod Monken at Southern Miss - HC, Big 12 experience and has rebuilt Southern Miss. I think we could get any of these guys - all proven head coaches.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Sounds like Les Miles might be out at LSU. Just want to know anyone's thoughts on him as a potential replacement. Not saying preference or possibility.

No, don't want anyone moving downward.

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
Yes please no one moving down. We need a young guy with something to prove. There are plenty of coaches who can do better than Rhoads. How about someone who is more composed than the players and doesn't jump around and celebrate right before we lose. We need someone who pays attention to detail and runs this place like a well oiled machine.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
By the time season ticket sales numbers are out, it will be too late. ISU will win one more game than last year and cpr will talk about how proud he is.

I am so proud I beat Bill after eight tries. So proud.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
What we need is a top notch recruiter...klieman or whatever his name is...I'm sure great coach..with great fundamentals...which is desperately needed here...but that guy couldn't recruit to Ames prob...A PJ Fleck type with a very good OC and DC is the type we should be going after...the best of both worlds would be a great recruiter who is also a good offensive mind who develops QBs..

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

My thoughts are sure! Would be a slam dunk hire..but Les Miles isn't coming to Ames..lol.

loboclone

Aug 8, 2006
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Here is a name, Bob Davie @ New Mexico. Took over MWC debacle from Mike Locksley (now @ Maryland). Had nothing to work with 4 years ago now going bowling. HC @ Norte Dame and 10 years for ESPN. He wanted Back in as HC and has proven he can still coach.