New transfer rules

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Has to?
The only athletes I've seen missing class were poor students in revenue sports. Most of them were, well, moved on to other schools.

Students from non-revenue sports rarely miss class, and rarely will make it sound like they miss more than they do.
Basketball players who have a 6 pm game in Morgantown on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday never miss any game day classes? Football players who have a Friday night game in Austin never miss any game day classes? Cross country runners who have a Friday noon meet or a Friday 10 am meet never miss any classes? Golfers who have Saturday through Tuesday tournaments never miss any classes? Wrestlers who have Friday through Sunday tournaments never miss any classes? Soccer players who have a Thursday evening game in Fort Worth or a Friday at 6 pm game in Morgantown never miss any classes? Softball players who have Friday afternoon games on the East Coast never miss any classes? Swimmers who have Friday early afternoon meets never miss any classes? Divers who have Thursday through Saturday meet in Columbia never miss any classes? Tennis players who have a Thursday through Saturday tournament in Minneapolis or Thursday day games in Florida never miss any classes? Volleyball players who have a 6:30 Wednesday night game in Lawrence or a 5:00 pm Wednesday night game in Morgantown never miss a class?

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Guess I'll be the trouble-maker: any other student, even those on scholarship, can transfer without restriction. Any coach can leave (or be fired) at any time. Seems only fair that the players... ahem, STUDENT-athletes... be given the same opportunity.

Coaches can't just leave. They pay a buyout which is often enormous.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Guess I'll be the trouble-maker: any other student, even those on scholarship, can transfer without restriction. Any coach can leave (or be fired) at any time. Seems only fair that the players... ahem, STUDENT-athletes... be given the same opportunity.
Coaches usually have to pay to get out of their contract though. I realize they don't pay that themselves, but this notion that coaches can at any time without penalty is false.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Honestly, this situation was one great lawyer and solid court case away from being decided in this way anyway.
This. If this comes to pass, it's nothing more than the NCAA getting out ahead of the storm. They know it as well as anyone does.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The academic scholar won't be playing varsity football or basketball that first year at the new school just like the athlete won't be.
nice dodge. You know what I mean, though. Here let me rephrase.
If I have a music scholarship to ISU, and I decide to transfer, and accept a music scholarship at Iowa. Am I required to sit out of the band for a year?

The answer is no.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Basketball players who have a 6 pm game in Morgantown on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday never miss any game day classes? Football players who have a Friday night game in Austin never miss any game day classes? Cross country runners who have a Friday noon meet or a Friday 10 am meet never miss any classes? Golfers who have Saturday through Tuesday tournaments never miss any classes? Wrestlers who have Friday through Sunday tournaments never miss any classes? Soccer players who have a Thursday evening game in Fort Worth or a Friday at 6 pm game in Morgantown never miss any classes? Softball players who have Friday afternoon games on the East Coast never miss any classes? Swimmers who have Friday early afternoon meets never miss any classes? Divers who have Thursday through Saturday meet in Columbia never miss any classes? Tennis players who have a Thursday through Saturday tournament in Minneapolis or Thursday day games in Florida never miss any classes? Volleyball players who have a 6:30 Wednesday night game in Lawrence or a 5:00 pm Wednesday night game in Morgantown never miss a class?

Same amount as any student who has a coop, work meeting, club trip, or anything else.
Athletes do not miss class more than other students. I only had one athlete from any sport who ever had to miss class for games.

The athletes don't have it any tougher than other students, and have plenty of extra advantages.

• Informative

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Same amount as any student who has a coop, work meeting, club trip, or anything else.
Athletes do not miss class more than other students. I only had one athlete from any sport who ever had to miss class for games.

The athletes don't have it any tougher than other students, and have plenty of extra advantages.
Fair enough. You would know better than I would.

The fact remains that athletes are treated differently than most of the student body in a lot of different ways, many of them positive for the athlete (Food, housing, medical care, tutoring, job skills training for those that have a chance to turn pro) It isn't patently unfair for them to have to have some sort of commitment to the school to which they have committed to get those benefits. It isn't like they are being told they can't transfer if things don't work out, only that it is a commitment and there is a penalty to make sure the transfer isn't taken lightly.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Fair enough. You would know better than I would.

The fact remains that athletes are treated differently than most of the student body in a lot of different ways, many of them positive for the athlete (Food, housing, medical care, tutoring, job skills training for those that have a chance to turn pro) It isn't patently unfair for them to have to have some sort of commitment to the school to which they have committed to get those benefits. It isn't like they are being told they can't transfer if things don't work out, only that it is a commitment and there is a penalty to make sure the transfer isn't taken lightly.
What about the fact that athletes in certain sports are held to different transfer rules than others?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
nice dodge. You know what I mean, though. Here let me rephrase.
If I have a music scholarship to ISU, and I decide to transfer, and accept a music scholarship at Iowa. Am I required to sit out of the band for a year?

The answer is no.
I know exactly what you mean and it isn't a dodge. There is a reason it is only in Basketball and Football where this is a rule and not in other sports and, in your example, band. Those are the sports where there is the problem with other programs tampering with athletes and trying to poach athletes that schools have invested time and resources to make them better. Many of these athletes are better because the programs they are currently with have helped them get better. If it was all due to their talent they most likely would have ended up at a more prestigious program to begin with. They are most likely desirable to another program because of their hard work and investment of their current program making them better.

• Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa

I'm all for immediate eligibility for players if the coach is fired or leaves for another job. Otherwise, I think there should be a sit-out year.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Very short-sighted and naive relative to impact on our FB program.

giphy.gif

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

I don't totally agree with this...it matters what level and what sport the athlete is in. My son runs cross country and track at a Division 2 school...he has to work his class schedule so that he doesn't have an 8 AM class (most distance running is at a morning 530 AM practice) and minimizes Friday classes. And, many of the things that a Division 1 school gets (training table, tutors, upgraded dorms, etc.) don't exist at most Division 2 schools. In this case, no scholarships (or very limited), morning practices from 530 to 730 AM, afternoon practice from 330-530 PM (lifting, flex, intervals), meets, academic expectations, own your own for food, studies, and other responsibilities.

Now does a major Division 1 athlete have extra advantages...sure. But the time commitment for the sport on top of normal student commitments is huge.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

They don't miss any "important classes!" Seriously, many class lectures are dispensable, particularly with recording to watch. And most athletes try to arrange their schedules to minimize classes during the season. The academic support teams go a long way to minimize the academically detrimental effects of traveling.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think it'll balance, in particular for good programs. There will be some flow to the blue bloods, but there will also be a flow back.

Kinda like sharing a pop with your 3 year old kid. They get the flavorful, refreshing soda that you purchased and you get the backwash of the crap they just ate.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

Apr 19, 2006
Are academic scholarships treated the same way? If I'm on academic scholarship, am I not allowed to immediately accept a scholarship and transfer to a different school?

We don't care about "nerds" we care about our football and basketball programs. There is a reason we don't pay attention to National Signing Day for academic scholarships or have a Rivals website that tracks them. :)

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Every other sport in college athletics allows players to immediately transfer. I see no reason why football and basketball should be any different. Plus, I'm sure coaches will still try to limit where players can go (which will result in certain and necessary backlash).

Only if they get a release from the school. If no release is given, they also have to sit a year.
Difference is a lot of these other sports are partial scholarships. I should say at least wrestling is that way.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE