New recruit- Ter'ran Benton

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Re: My apologies - New recruit?

Don't get your hopes up, hopefully he is good. DeAndre was good not great, if you are going to throw a name in with Ellis it would be LaMarcus Hicks! Though DeAndre was a very solid corner!

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames

When is national signing day? And how many scholorships do we have to give out? I thought we had a pretty small roster last year so does that help us out now? Were able to sign many guys?

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa

I think it is expected that we will get right on 25 recruits this year!!! This is from everything that I have heard! So we have five recruits to get in two months, shouldn't be too hard. Remember when everyone was complaining that we didn't have enough recruits, look who is laughing now!

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com

he committed on his birthday too...interesting day to choose. but, damn, what a good choice. like its been said - he will have a GREAT chance to play right away. This looking like a helluva class. I can't wait to see what Chizik & Co. can do with these guys.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

he committed on his birthday too...interesting day to choose. but, damn, what a good choice. like its been said - he will have a GREAT chance to play right away. This looking like a helluva class. I can't wait to see what Chizik & Co. can do with these guys.
I agree... this first class is going to be very crucial to what Chizik is able to do here, and so far it looks very exciting!

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006

Bring on the SPEED! This, to me, is one of our top 3 pick-ups so far this year. One place you never want to be short on is DB's.... he looks to have the size and speed to be a quality guy in the B12. Hopefully he pans out.

G-Rock

Nov 9, 2006

So it looks like he hasn't qualified yet. Hopefully he can get that in order.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
New Commit....

Just saw on the front page of CR that we had received a new commitment from a 3* db....the picture shows TerRan Benton....

If this is in fact the real deal - i love this get.....he is a prototype corner that may push for playing time as a freshman....

This is awesome news, now if we can get Leonard Johnson.....

Get'em chiz.....:notworthy:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You have to like what is happening with our recruiting. We have 20 commits so far. In Mac's last Full recruiting year we had about 8 commits at this time. One common theme in this year's class is size and speed.

BuzzBuzzBuzz

Dec 1, 2007
AMES
Benton is an important pick-up. I didn't think we'd have much of a chance, based on the other players in the fold - he must have seen his best opportunity to contribute is here. Great pickup!

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Stormin,

Two years ago Mac's recruiting class averaged 4.67 speed with a SERIOUS positive outlier in Vargas.

Thus far, Chizik's recruits average 4.69

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but sometimes things need to be put in perspective before we put on the blinders!

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Stormin,

Two years ago Mac's recruiting class averaged 4.67 speed with a SERIOUS positive outlier in Vargas.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but sometimes things need to be put in perspective before we put on the blinders!

I'm just guessing the coaches don't trust Rivals for their 40 times. I'm absolutely sure Chizik looks at their videos carefully to see their game speed. Who knows, he probably has them run a forty in their back yards during their in-home visits.

But trust me, don't ever go by Rivals' 40 times. They have to trust the kids to tell them the truth.

Anyways, I was going to say I think our chances with Cornelius Douglas and Leonard Johnson seem pretty good. From what I've read on the Rivals site. Douglas might have one of the more impressive videos I've seen. Very elusive. Would love to pick him up.

JPOP

Oct 11, 2006
the difference is. mac's guys had 4.6 speed but they were 6 foot tall and weighed 210 lbs. this year same speed but these guys are 6'5" and weighing 245 lbs. take that for perspective.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
The list looks good until you compare to our competition in the B12 north. If stars and rating numbers mean anything at all, we are still at the bottom of the conference by a substantial margin. I like it that we seem to be improving talent where it is most needed, but we will still be playing a lot of 2 stars against 4 stars.

DMBclone

Nov 27, 2006
Kansas City, MO
We might be playing 2 stars against 4 stars, but i don't think stars really mean much. Stevie Hicks and Austin Flynn were both 4 stars. They were both good athletes and I'm sure you can give other reasons as to how they performed (the O line) IMO I wasn't too impressed with Hicks and its too bad we found Flynn to be a WR as a junior and not a freshman. But I think Chizik has an idea as to how his recruits will really perform.

150th POST!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Stormin,

Yeah but most of Mac's recruits were DB's, LB's, RB's and hardly any linemen. We have a lot of linemen. And only one RB who is really a fullback. And we only had about 8 recruits at this time of year.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
the things that pop out to me when i look at his profile

5'11''
Texas (home state)
Kansas,Missouri,Iowa,UCF (ucf because that is where John S. is now) (old Def coach)

ALSO

on CR it mentions a RB setting up a visit that has set a record.. im going to say
Brynn Harvey just by looking at his profile..
Brynn Harvey - Football Recruiting

also since when are we recruiting these guys?

RB Shane Turner Shane Turner - Football Recruiting

WR Steven Osbourne Steven Osborne - Football Recruiting (looks like we have a good chance of landing him)

Last edited:

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Anyone else realize that Ter'ran Benton is from the same school as Iowa DB recruit David Cato. Isn't this kind of odd given they go to the same high school and committed to different schools in Iowa. I wonder if they are friends and wanted to stay close in being 2 hours away or if that had a factor in coming to ISU.