New recruit- Ter'ran Benton

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Anyone else realize that Ter'ran Benton is from the same school as Iowa DB recruit David Cato. Isn't this kind of odd given they go to the same high school and committed to different schools in Iowa. I wonder if they are friends and wanted to stay close in being 2 hours away or if that had a factor in coming to ISU.

And isn't it great that we landed the higher rated DB. Although I have to say Cato looks just as impressive as Benton does in his videos.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Yeah but most of Mac's recruits were DB's, LB's, RB's and hardly any linemen. We have a lot of linemen. And only one RB who is really a fullback. And we only had about 8 recruits at this time of year.

Stormin.....Dont forget, Chiz has a kicker on that list too....and we know MAC didnt recruit kickers...............:yes:

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
And isn't it great that we landed the higher rated DB. Although I have to say Cato looks just as impressive as Benton does in his videos.

Don't be surprised now that we have Benton in the fold that Chiz puts full court press on Cato....besides since cato committed, EIU has received several other commits in the secondary....that may push him to decommit..................

Just speculating..............:eek:

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
this makes losing gray to okie state a lot less painful. much rather have this kid for 4 years then have grey for 2. c_moore-i would gladly take any 1 of the 3 kids you listed above. i did notice that the hawks are after harvey as well, and that may be a good fit for him since i don't think they have a tb right now aside from the juco kid they recently signed. 5 more to verbal in the next month. it will be interesting to see who they are, i am a little disappointed that we are going to be missing out on some of the guys we are pursuing or at least show some interest in isu. if we could land bedford, brandon harold or james moore, it would really ease the pain of losing dj marshall. joe king would also seem to be a solid pickup for our o-line, and i wouldn't mind signing a few more "athetes" that are showing interest in us. also, i thought someone mentioned there was a good possibility of tracy robertson decommiting from us? anyone here anything else on this?

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I'm hoping since he hasn't verballed to Baylor yet, that we will "hang on" to Tracy Robertson. It's between us and Baylor, but so far he is still with the good guys.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Usually when coaches recruit they are going to tell the guy that the dont put much stock in the 40 time because 40 time and football speed are totally different things, Ofcourse when recruiting a RB its good to have a 4.4 speed but he must also have football speed and smarts. stars... 40 times.. who gives

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Stormin.....Dont forget, Chiz has a kicker on that list too....and we know MAC didnt recruit kickers...............:yes:

What about Yelk, Mahoski, and Griebahn? Weren't they Mac recruits? And all given scholarships?

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Yeah actually Mac recruited a lot of kickers. They just did not evaluate them very well. Over Mac's tenure there were 2 or 3 guys just down the road in Ankeny that went on to have very good careers at other schools. Mac's best kickers came from his early years; Kohl, Gomez and Yelk.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Yeah actually Mac recruited a lot of kickers. They just did not evaluate them very well. Over Mac's tenure there were 2 or 3 guys just down the road in Ankeny that went on to have very good careers at other schools. Mac's best kickers came from his early years; Kohl, Gomez and Yelk.

I think someone on this board has stated the Ankeny kicking coach is a huge EIU fan and does everything he can to steer the kids away from ISU.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

The early years happened to coincide with Nick Quartaro's tenure on Mac's staff. After he left to join Mangino's staff, there was a void on the staff in terms of coaches with a kicking background. It showed in terms of evaluating and developing kickers.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
. Mac's best kickers came from his early years; Kohl, Gomez and Yelk.

didn't we actually have a kicker that was named big 12 kicker of the year or something like that? the name benekie comes to mind, but i can't remember for sure. seems like he was only at isu for 1 year. anyone help me out on this?

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
didn't we actually have a kicker that was named big 12 kicker of the year or something like that? the name benekie comes to mind, but i can't remember for sure. seems like he was only at isu for 1 year. anyone help me out on this?

Adam Benike B12 kicker of the year 2002. We got him from Rochester JC.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
This class is getting better and better. Love getting kids over Iowa.

Is there anyway we can keep the tradition going and have Dan tell us that this is the best recruiting class Iowa State has ever had???

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Usually when coaches recruit they are going to tell the guy that the dont put much stock in the 40 time because 40 time and football speed are totally different things, Ofcourse when recruiting a RB its good to have a 4.4 speed but he must also have football speed and smarts. stars... 40 times.. who gives

very smary post. I totally agree that forty speed and fb speed are totally different - you really gotta see the guy in game situations running. And also remember that you could be a running back and run a 4.0, but if you don't know how to read blocks, find holes, cut back, or eventually break a tackle...that speed is not gonna mean jack.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
How many guys are we able to sign this year? Anyone think these first year players will start their first year?

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
I think someone on this board has stated the Ankeny kicking coach is a huge EIU fan and does everything he can to steer the kids away from ISU.

That is correct. His name is Peter Rameh. Funny thing is, he is from Lebanon. Not sure why someone born north of Israel would care.