New Mattress Shopping

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Since this can be a high priced investment that I will have to live with for the next 10 years or more (I hope), I wanted to get the thoughts of the Cyclone Fanatic brethren. With the tons of different models/types of mattresses on the market today I wanted to get the thoughts and experiences that others have had when buying a new mattress- do you like it or buyers remorse?
I think that I am leaning towards a king size, firm mattress. Other than that I really dont know what I want in a new mattress.

TIA

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
We switched to a foam mattress a couple years ago and all my back issues went away. Will never go back to traditional. I ordered it from Amazon for $300 (12" queen) and it's held up well so far.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I keep thinking I should get a new mattress since my old queen is ancient but comfy for me still. Even went so far as to note the brand/model/firmness to go try and match it. The other thing is it's on arched wood slats, not box springs so that is something to match also.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Not sure I could ever go away from king size now that we have it. I know NFM will let give you like 90 days once you purchase your mattress to make sure its right for you (with the caveat that you have to buy a mattress pad protector). Im assuming Homemakers in Des Moines would do the same thing. That was nice for us because we were not 100% sure we would like a more firm mattress.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Not sure I could ever go away from king size now that we have it. I know NFM will let give you like 90 days once you purchase your mattress to make sure its right for you (with the caveat that you have to buy a mattress pad protector). Im assuming Homemakers in Des Moines would do the same thing. That was nice for us because we were not 100% sure we would like a more firm mattress.
I believe NFM owns Homemakers or the other way around.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Consider some of the online mattresses like Casper, Helix, GhostBed, etc. If you read up on them you can get a sense of what you think you'd like and they all offer guarantees if you don't end up liking it. I have a Helix mattress which lets you customize each half of the mattress separately and I love it.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
For those that have a memory foam mattress, any issues with longevity? Reason I ask because I've used memory foam pillows for years but I usually end up getting a new one every 2 years because they lose their form and just end up flat over night.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
In today's mattress buying world, there is no reason to buy a mattress that does not offer a risk-free, money back trail period of at least 50-100 days. And, to clarify, I mean actual money back, no strings attached. If you look at most of the traditional brick-and-mortar stores, they have fine print that there is a delivery fee or (worse) sometimes you can only exchange, which means you're stuck with the same company if you don't like it.

This means most likely you will be buying online, but since it's risk free, if you don't like it you are only out time and effort.

Here is a list of such companies:
http://www.dugroz.com/2017/08/my-master-mattress-list.html

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Consider some of the online mattresses like Casper, Helix, GhostBed, etc. If you read up on them you can get a sense of what you think you'd like and they all offer guarantees if you don't end up liking it. I have a Helix mattress which lets you customize each half of the mattress separately and I love it.

Sleepsherpa.com is a good resource for these. They even have a showroom up in the twin cities so you can try one of these if you want.

I ended up with a Winkbed

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've had a king Tempurpedic for 5 and a half years now. I've traveled all over and have stayed in some nice places and I still love my bed more.
It's held up perfectly and as a warm blooded person I don't roast on it.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
For those that have a memory foam mattress, any issues with longevity? Reason I ask because I've used memory foam pillows for years but I usually end up getting a new one every 2 years because they lose their form and just end up flat over night.

Have had a TempurPedic for 12 years. Just bought a new bed the other day, but it was because we have finished our basement and want a bed down there for guests, not because ours is going bad.

The pillows are a different story though. Your experience is the same as mine. I hated the pillow after about a month.

• Informative
Reactions: BigBake

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I'm going to strongly 2nd this as our Tuft and Needle mattress is awesome. We've had it for a couple years now and neither one of us have a single complaint about it. It's really crazy how much better we sleep now.
Are the prices the same on Tuft and Needle's website versus Amazon? For some reason I can't get to Tuft and Needle's website right now.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

We have an iComfort and it does seem to develop a bit of a memory of where I tend to sleep (after 4-5 years). On the plus side, I used to have my hips start hurting at night laying on my side, and that doesn't seen to happen any more.

• Informative
Reactions: MeanDean

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Are the prices the same on Tuft and Needle's website versus Amazon? For some reason I can't get to Tuft and Needle's website right now.

I honestly don't know. I got it off my brother and sister in law. They had some tiny mundane complaint about theirs and ended up calling just to inform them. They didn't want a new one because theirs was fine but Tuft and Needle sent them one anyways. T&N said they would send someone to pick up the old one free of charge to donate it or they could just keep both.

They ultimately ended up giving the 2nd one to us brand new. Cost me like 50 bucks in shipping from their place across the country. It's pretty cool how they're packaged in such relatively small boxes. Great customer service though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron