New Jay & Silent Bob movie

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Same guy, just about 20-25 years older. Kevin Smith looks like he's dropped a fair amount of weight as well. Didn't he have a pretty serious health scare not too long ago?

Looks like he's sporting false teeth as well.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Jay and Silent Bob were never the best parts of Kevin Smith movies. They were good for some sophomoric humor to help break up the dialogue-driven plots.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back made that very clear.

They were the best part of Clerks. The two "clerks" were jerk offs.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Well, he wasn't even supposed to be there.

Mallrats, Clerks, and Dogma are the great ones. The others were good, but not great.

Chasing Amy had moments but was way too serious. The discussion of Darth Vader and the black rage scene is the best part of that movie.

• Funny
Reactions: burn587

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
ckwkiaa.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Cytasticlone

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
How does a movie like that get so many well known actors in it?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I love anything Kevin Smith. I pretty much know Clerks and Mallrats word for word.

Dante - "37, my gf sucked 37 _____"

Customer - "in row?"

GF leaves the store

Dante - "try not to suck any ____ on your way out of the parking lot"

Jay turns to follow her

Dante - "Hey you get back here"

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For me, Mallrats is the gold standard for Kevin Smith movies. I appreciate Clerks and Clerks 2. Dogma is underrated. Chasing Amy I just never really got into, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was hot garbage.

Even Jeremy London's acting doesn't stop Mallrats from being a perfect comedy.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Clerks, Mallrats, Dogma, and Chasing Amy are all great.

The rest of it's pretty meh. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back doesn't hold up at all, and Clerks 2 seemed really funny on first watch, but also didn't hold up.

I'm guessing this won't be that good.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I love anything Kevin Smith. I pretty much know Clerks and Mallrats word for word.

Dante - "37, my gf sucked 37 _____"

Customer - "in row?"

GF leaves the store

Dante - "try not to suck any ____ on your way out of the parking lot"

Jay turns to follow her

Dante - "Hey you get back here"

"Try not to suck any ________ on your way to the ________"

Pretty much standard vernacular for my friends and I mid 90s to mid 00s.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Same guy, he was really messed up for a while, but got clean for the last few years at least.

What I read on wiki about it. Good for him being able to be sober almost a decade. He treated Smith like garbage, but you have to credit Smith for showing grade and understanding for the addiction disease Mewes was battling.

"Substance abuse
Mewes has openly talked about his struggles with substance abuse, which began in his early 20s. He first began using heroin shortly after appearing in Mallrats and was soon addicted; he was under the influence while filming Chasing Amy and Dogma. Kevin Smithentered Mewes into the first of a series of drug rehabilitation clinics in 1997 after noticing Mewes would randomly fall asleep, which he initially attributed to narcolepsy. Mewes sobered up until about a week into the Dogma shoot, when he learned he could pass his urine tests by abstaining from drugs for three days beforehand and then shooting up the rest of the week. In another attempt to get clean, Mewes moved in with his mother, who gave him OxyContin to ease the withdrawal symptoms.[3]

In 1999 Mewes was arrested in New Jersey for heroin possession. His probation sentence included community service, drug counseling, and regular court appearances in New Jersey. In late 2001, after he failed to make a court appearance, a warrant was issued for his arrest. Smith had taken Mewes in to live with him and his wife, Jennifer Schwalbach Smith, but evicted him after catching him using drugs again. During this period, Mewes stole Smith's ATM card, spent $1,100 of Smith's money, and had heroin shipped to the hotel where a press junket for Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was being held. Smith had Mewes check into various rehab facilities, including Promises in Malibu, where his visit coincided with frequent costar Ben Affleck's stay for alcoholism. These attempts were unsuccessful for Mewes, whose problem was so severe that Smith was unable to give him a part in 2004's Jersey Girl.[3]

Mewes continued to use drugs, and has related that he decided to turn himself in and get help after waking up on Christmas morning in 2002 to find that he had started a fire after falling asleep near a lit candle while on heroin. Estranged from Smith, Mewes returned to New Jersey, and on April 1, 2003, he surrendered himself at a Freehold, New Jersey, court and pleaded guilty to probation violation charges. He was ordered to enter a six-month rehab program.[10] In a July 2006 interview he reported that he was sober, and harbored no urges to drink or use drugs.[3] He relapsed in 2009 after having surgery.[11]

To help Mewes maintain his sobriety, Smith created the Jay & Silent Bob Get Old podcast as a "weekly intervention" to let Mewes talk through his history of substance abuse. He has been sober since June 28, 2010.[12]"

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Went to the double feature (both strike back then the reboot) that was in theaters tonight. I think if you are a loyal fan of the Kevin Smith franchise of movies you will enjoy it. Gets both funny and sentimental.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I absolutely love Dogma and I must be in the minority for enjoying Strike Back as well. The monkey in the diner scene with Will Ferrell is one of my favorites.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron