New build issues with local area builder.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My plan would be to get this foreman back at your house, lock him in the house with your 6 kids and 3 dogs, and refuse to let him out until he fixed it.
tenor.gif

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just curious, what make the 1950's house better?

Gotta be the pink bathroom tile or maybe the avocado kitchen appliances. :rolleyes:

There are some good and bad about 1950's - 1960's house. The bad being the poor windows and poor insulation. When it was -25 the other night I put my hand on the argon filled e-glass windows and they were cool but not that cold. Same night a friend was posting pictures of an ice glacier growing on his 1970's window.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
We got him in this morning and he tried the humidity argument with me. I pushed back with the fact that I am seeing little to no condensation on my windows, humidity was stable around 29 to 34%(on the very low side of what is acceptable). I straight up told him it had to be some weak points in the insulation. He said he would go back up into the crawl space and look around. He said that the builders install rulers to help monitor insulation install. By this time I had to leave to take the kids to school, but wife called me and said, he told her the insulation was at 10" and should be at 14". He also found some ducting that was not properly taped and said he would get Kinzler out to fix it. He was also going to request that they bring the installer that did the original work and his supervisor to show/explain just what happens when you cut corners.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
We got him in this morning and he tried the humidity argument with me. I pushed back with the fact that I am seeing little to no condensation on my windows, humidity was stable around 29 to 34%(on the very low side of what is acceptable). I straight up told him it had to be some weak points in the insulation. He said he would go back up into the crawl space and look around. He said that the builders install rulers to help monitor insulation install. By this time I had to leave to take the kids to school, but wife called me and said, he told her the insulation was at 10" and should be at 14". He also found some ducting that was not properly taped and said he would get Kinzler out to fix it. He was also going to request that they bring the installer that did the original work and his supervisor to show/explain just what happens when you cut corners.

sooooooooo no CF mobbing needed?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
There are very few "builders" anymore, they are now just contractors. I'll never build a new house again.

This is one area where living in a small community is nice. If they are **** builders, you know about it or they aren't in business. It seems like there are all kinds of these problems with house factories.

Your builder is full of ****, man.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I have my doubts that being a little short on insulation would cause all that, but here's to hoping! It has been a few days of extreme conditions, so maybe . . .

And keep on monitoring the situation. :cool:

Reactions: cdnlngld

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I have my doubts that being a little short on insulation would cause all that, but here's to hoping! It has been a few days of extreme conditions, so maybe . . .

Me too, at least not the primary cause. I would definitely make sure they fix the venting stuff he mentioned gets fixed if not ask for additional venting....I mean ask them to add another roof vent.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

At least he gets more insulation first. Let him drop four more inches and see what happens. At minimum he can save on his heat bill.

• Agree
Reactions: NickTheGreat

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is one area where living in a small community is nice. If they are **** builders, you know about it or they aren't in business. It seems like there are all kinds of these problems with house factories.

Your builder is full of ****, man.

Or they are related to enough people that no other builder can get a good foothold in the community and you are stuck with some doofus.

• Agree
Reactions: aforstate

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Our neighbors house burned down a couple years ago. Once they had the foundation poured, I noticed that walls looked awfully high and was afraid that once they backfilled it all the water would be going right next to our house. Turns out they did not have the footings at the right depth (cue the I-35 flyover debacle). I was pretty cool about it as they put a 20' tile line hose into there back yard to help with the back side. The front side installed a drain system where the water was diffused over river rock and pointed toward the street. They did a nice job on it. Wonder if I should have complained to the city and had the foundation tore up and redone?

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014

Blow in insulation has an r value of roughly 3 per inch. Not likely 4 inches is gonna do much especially if there is 10" in already.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Somehow in the last 40 years since it was built our house has never had any attic ventilation installed. I believe the bathroom fan also just vents into the attic which is awesome...
Urge caution on this though...a co-worker of mine also had bathrooms where the exhaust fan either vented into the attic or had a vent hose that had a low spot as it vented to the roof turtle vent. His kids took half hour showers, which pumped a bunch of moisture into the attic, which condensed on the roof trusses and then trickled down to the outside frame and soaked through the drywall ceiling at multiple points. This could be a possible cause too...make sure your bathrooms are vented out properly.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Or they are related to enough people that no other builder can get a good foothold in the community and you are stuck with some doofus.

I guess I haven't really seen that in any trade. You never have to hire someone.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just curious, what make the 1950's house better?

Build materials, attention to detail, pride of build...

TBF my current 1950’s house was a custom build back then. A local builder just working on this house until it was finished and they could move on to the next one. Not just a McDonald’s menu house one of 80 in the latest development on the outskirts of town.

New build felt like a house of cards, this 1950’s house feels like a brick shithouse (or stone shithouse in the case of my house...REAL STONE).