New build issues with local area builder.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
This is the issue with a builder that contracts out projects without inspecting or supervising the project. If I were you I'd sick the wife on the builder, contact the better business bureau and call the city. F'em. they need to stand by their work or forfeit all future building permits.
There are very few "builders" anymore, they are now just contractors. I'll never build a new house again.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
That builder is chalking up condensation and freezing inside the house to "too many people?" That's hilarious. Having some shoddy work is one thing. Trying to get out of it with that lame **** is another. Run this POS through the ringer.

It's a pretty reputable builder in central iowa. I won't name names until this goes any further. Supposedly the foreman that was sent out to us was one that has a bit of reputation for being difficult(per my wife's friends). I will talk to the guy myself tomorrow, and give them a chance to redeem themselves, but if this keeps up, we will be making some calls. I don't want to have to go that route, and this should all be covered under the 1 year warranty..

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Don't be afraid to get a lawyer. Moisture damage can get expensive fast.

20% is definitely not high and that foreman gave you a BS answer.

I had a similar moisture issue after we installed a new furnace with a built in humidifier. Make sure your house "breathes". All the warm moist air the makes it way to your attic does need to be vented outside.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
A longshot, but did you make in last minute changes before completion in your unfinished basement, for instance?

Stubbing-in more plumbing for a toilet/shower? (ripping up concrete, then pouring new concrete?)

Installing a GeoThermal system in basement after completion?

Pouring cement in basement during the winter can produce a lot of moisture that could travel up the walls upstairs

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Don't be afraid to get a lawyer. Moisture damage can get expensive fast.

20% is definitely not high and that foreman gave you a BS answer.

I had a similar moisture issue after we installed a new furnace with a built in humidifier. Make sure your house "breathes". All the warm moist air the makes it way to your attic does need to be vented outside.

Somehow in the last 40 years since it was built our house has never had any attic ventilation installed. I believe the bathroom fan also just vents into the attic which is awesome...

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Today's building practices encourage "tight" building envelopes. This occurred because of rising energy prices. But as with anything else, changing the way we enclose our homes also brought about a whole new batch of issues, mostly concerning movement of moisture.

I have read many, many articles about moisture and air issues in buildings. It sounds to me like warm, moist (at least comparatively) air is escaping your living space and going up into the attic. Moisture always seeks the coolest area, hence condensation on window glass. In this case the insulation in your attic is weakest at the outer walls, because there isn't enough vertical space to accumulate insulation to make an effective R-value.

It sounds to me like the builder is trying to shine you on. If he truly cares about his reputation, he'll at least try to solve the problem for you.

And these posters are correct - 20% RH in winter is extremely low. Do you have a lot of static electricity?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Somehow in the last 40 years since it was built our house has never had any attic ventilation installed. I believe the bathroom fan also just vents into the attic which is awesome...
I'm not an expert on code 40 years ago but that certainly doesn't meet it now. Great way to rot all the wood up there.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I was told by a builder friend of mine that this -20 degree weather stuff is something they can't really build for and that weird crap may happen. Maybe if it warms up a little bit in normal winter weather and it still happens. See what can be done then.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I'm not an expert on code 40 years ago but that certainly doesn't meet it now. Great way to rot all the wood up there.

Yup. When we had the pre-buy inspection the guy warned us about it and I have kept an eye on it.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
We built a new house about 6 years ago and after that experiance if we build another one I don't think I'd ever let somebody else act as the general contractor. We had a river running down the wall and through the garage withing 3 months of moving in, not his fault it rained but they fixed it. That first winter we had a drip coming down the light fixture above the kitchen table. I went up in the attic and found a snow drift in my attic above the kitchen. Again it's not his fault it snowed a bunch. After 3 years of complaining about a 25 degree temperature difference between one end of the house to the other they sent a guy to look at that and ended up installing a damper to balance the hvac. When the wind gusts over 20mph out of the west my blinds swing. It just pisses me off every time i see that.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
A longshot, but did you make in last minute changes before completion in your unfinished basement, for instance?

Stubbing-in more plumbing for a toilet/shower? (ripping up concrete, then pouring new concrete?)

Installing a GeoThermal system in basement after completion?

Pouring cement in basement during the winter can produce a lot of moisture that could travel up the walls upstairs

House was fully finished by the builder. It was a spec home that had been on the market a while.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yup. When we had the pre-buy inspection the guy warned us about it and I have kept an eye on it.

This summer go buy a couple roof vents, grab the circular saw and blackjack a couple vents in. Will help tremendously and they aren’t hard to install.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's a pretty reputable builder in central iowa. I won't name names until this goes any further. Supposedly the foreman that was sent out to us was one that has a bit of reputation for being difficult(per my wife's friends). I will talk to the guy myself tomorrow, and give them a chance to redeem themselves, but if this keeps up, we will be making some calls. I don't want to have to go that route, and this should all be covered under the 1 year warranty..
Look, I'm in the bullpen ready to punch this builder in the throat. I don't have all day.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I had the exact same thing happen in my old house. I will all but gurantee that when they blew in the insulation, they didn't get enough insulation past the outside wall/floor joist. If the insulation got blown over the soffit vents, that will cause an issue too because it won't allow your attic to breath.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Our house was built in 1917. Rock solid, plaster/lath walls rock effing solid everywhere.

It's not like you cannot build quality today. My addition was 2002 onto a 1960 house. It's got all of the things that some contractors **** up, like stucco, flat roof, lots and lots of windows. I was my own prime so it got done my way. Stucco was done exactly like the 1960 stucco was, no house wrap (D-paper) and no foam board backing and all the stuff they were messing up around that time period. No chip board or "buffalo" board crap. It's watertight but isn't going to rot from the inside out anymore than the 1960 part is.

Addition is extremely well insulated and "sealed" but still breaths like the old part. I keep the furnace fan, with it's outside intake, running 24/7 which keeps the air in the house moving around.