Need a second opinion

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Another female perspective ... propose in Iowa. I assume there will be a desire to put some plans in motion - picking a date, book in locations, etc. If you propse now there will be opportunity for you to participate in a bit of the planning before you jet off to the other side of the planet.

[Insert all the blah, blah from the guys here about how they are manly-men and don't participate in planning of this kind of thing because that's women's work. It's the start of your marriage - participate!]

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Female advice - Yes, in Des Moines. I'm not sure about Christmas Eve/Day. Those days can get hectic with travelling and family and trying to plan a "good time" to do it could get tricky. You can certainly plan it around wintery Christmas type things, but I would shy away from the 24th/25th.

Australia - Yes, much better engagement story. But I think being able to share the news with friends & family together trumps that. (not to mention the "safety" of the ring)

Your avatar makes this funny.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Interesting that you would ask anyone else's opinion. Are you having doubts?

:peek:

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Doubts aside, take her to Coober Pedy and buy her an opal. Now that would be truly unique.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
If you can, I would try recreating your first date. That's what I plan on doing when I propose. Our first date ended with a walk in a park in Des Moines. I would like to propose in the same spot, if I can make it happen.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
agree with Sara and Bugs. Being able to tell people (especially if you are there too) pretty soon after is so much fun! Plus then being around for a little bit to look at some of the big planning things that you want wish to be involved in. Australia would be a *fantastic* proposal story, but I kinda like the idea of being more easily able to visit the proposal site :)

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Always when they're not expecting it. When I proposed, my niece spoiled it to her that it was going to happen on our anniversary. So I played it up like that's what was going to happen, then did it the day before. She knew it was going to happen, but was still surprised at when.

ZombieCyclone

Sep 4, 2010
Id say before you go. Long breaks of months apart cause weird **** to happen in relationships.

Women get lonely annd insecure and do bat **** crazy things like accuse you of cheating or looking at other women, flirting etc. while it is them doing those things while you are away.

Maybe if you propose she will be focused on that instead of "omg what is he doing right now. Is he hitting on some aussie ho. Why hasnt he called me yet! (Because of a major time zone difference.....)

I dont know your relationship so I dont mean to sound like you and her arent trusting. I just know women.... and when you arent around, they get nutty because they arent there 24 hours to monitor everything you do and then they act out.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Xmas, one less present to buy and you will always be able to remember when you got engaged.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
So I guess I am really stressed out trying to figure this out and would really like to hear all of your opinions,

I plan on proposing to my girlfriend of 7 years soon but the question is where to do it.

Like I said, I go back and forth between the two. It would be great to get an outsiders view! Thanks!

I'd find out what her user name is on this board and then follow that recommendation.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Answer... both of you sitting on the couch... toss her the ring from across the couch (can't have her too close to the remote otherwise Little People Big World Might sneak on the tube) and say "Yes?"

Permanent relationship.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron