Nebraska gives Scott Frost much deserved extension to only fire him.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I get the feeling from sports talk callers in Omaha is that they don't want him back. Which sucks to say about a college aged athlete.

Had Frost not played at Nebraska, I would have been 100% against him coaching there.
When a coach has a good thing going at school X, I just don't feel like a its a good option to look for greener pastures. Granted, many coaches have ambitions to move up the ladder to be at a blue blood, or move up from G5 or a non traditional P5. Seems that the success they achieve rarely matches the lure, but the pay day rises drastically.
That rarely works? It took me about 3 minutes to come up with:
Brian Kelly
Urban Meyer
Paul Chryst
Nick Saban
Matt Campbell
PJ Fleck
Mel Tucker

Every one of these guys followed the path you just described.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
In the "cross-overs" Nebraska got OSU for five and gets Michigan State for the next four seasons. Iowa does have OSU twice in the next four years. Next four seasons Iowa gets ******* Rutgers for four years while the rest of the division plays ranked teams. Minnesota gets MSU, Wisc get Ohio State and Huskers get Michigan while Iowa gets to pound footballs up Rutgers ass. Over that nine year period the Huskers arguably get the worst of the cross-over scheduling for the West. Over the next four years Iowa clearly gets a big break.

Legends and Leaders right there.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
the big 10's crossover opponent is terrible. Teams shouldn't go that many years without playing an opponent in their own conference.
The pod approach is really the best way to schedule. Play your own pod, plus another pod that rotates each year, plus X number of games from another pod, which also rotates.
You basically end up playing every team every 2-3 years.

For teams with guaranteed rivalry games, put them in the same pod.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Not to pick bits but I think Rutgers is getting better bc they have Schiano back. They improved this year and are bringing in some really good recruits. Also who knows how long MSU remains this good. Tucker could be gone or his all in on transfers might not work every year. Also looking at the schedules Iowa has Mich and OSU in the same year twice, MSU and PSU in another.
Schiano's a bit of a time bomb though.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
the big 10's crossover opponent is terrible. Teams shouldn't go that many years without playing an opponent in their own conference.

Look at the last 15 or so years to see how many times Georgia and Bama played in the regular season (don't count SEC championship game)...

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Look at the last 15 or so years to see how many times Georgia and Bama played in the regular season (don't count SEC championship game)...

If you take out the SEC Title Game, Alabama and Florida have played 6 times this century and this year was the first time since 2014.

Alabama and Georgia-6 times this century
LSU and Georgia-7 times this century

There's dozens more examples. The SEC is the unquestioned leader in keeping teams in their own league from playing each other

• Winner
Reactions: BigCyFan and 06_CY

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
If you take out the SEC Title Game, Alabama and Florida have played 6 times this century and this year was the first time since 2014.

There's dozens more examples. The SEC is the unquestioned leader in keeping teams in their own league from playing each other
For sure.

I remember a few years back discussing this with a friend and looked up Georgia/Bama while at the bar. At first we were shocked, then realized it made perfect sense.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Judging by what I see on facebook many Husker fans want Frosty back next year. I hope they get their wish.
Lots of them also want Martinez back as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Judging by what I see on facebook many Husker fans want Frosty back next year. I hope they get their wish.

It's kind of fun watching Skers fall for the fool's gold of competitive losses. We've been there and fell for it, really fun to see Nebraska is at that level.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Big conference with only 8 games.

They know they are sitting in the penthouse and no reason to risk anything.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Yep, and until Nebby actually gets talented linemen, suitable coaches, etc., they will continue to flog their monkeys to their heart's content. Nothing will change next year...same coaching, same talent, same failures.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yep, and until Nebby actually gets talented linemen, suitable coaches, etc., they will continue to flog their monkeys to their heart's content. Nothing will change next year...same coaching, same talent, same failures.
Hopefully