Nebraska gives Scott Frost much deserved extension to only fire him.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Martinez is a great runner, but an inconsistent passer. In today's college football, you need an accurate passer to be successful unless you are running a niche offense.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What I find fascinating are people that want Adrian Martinez to come back for a 5th season to prove all the doubters wrong. Scott Frost included.
I never understood the Martinez love. IIRC, there were Iowa posters on here even a year ago saying he was better than Purdy.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
As much as I find it funny hearing the Huskers complain about their schedule, this will be the seventh time they have played OSU since starting B1G play in 2011. Iowa has played OSU twice in that same time frame.
So I've heard of similar discrepancies over the years, and they seem almost hard to believe. Can someone explain how this is defensible? I assume the conference members agreed to some sort of scheduling system that is considered competitively balanced, but what exactly is that "system?!"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I never understood the Martinez love. IIRC, there were Iowa posters on here even a year ago saying he was better than Purdy.

I can imagine they're saying Mertz is better too.

They say all sort of ****.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
So I've heard of similar discrepancies over the years, and they seem almost hard to believe. Can someone explain how this is defensible? I assume the conference members agreed to some sort of scheduling system that is considered competitively balanced, but what exactly is that "system?!"
Every year the big ten is basically daring Iowa to find a way NOT to win the west. They are nothing, if not consistent.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Is this true? Nebraska has had to play OSU in the cross division game, while Iowa has only played them only twice in ten years?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
IIRC Nebraska threw out a caveat when joining that they wanted the opportunity to kick OSU’s ass every season.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Is this true? Nebraska has had to play OSU in the cross division game, while Iowa has only played them only twice in ten years?

In the "cross-overs" Nebraska got OSU for five and gets Michigan State for the next four seasons. Iowa does have OSU twice in the next four years. Next four seasons Iowa gets ******* Rutgers for four years while the rest of the division plays ranked teams. Minnesota gets MSU, Wisc get Ohio State and Huskers get Michigan while Iowa gets to pound footballs up Rutgers ass. Over that nine year period the Huskers arguably get the worst of the cross-over scheduling for the West. Over the next four years Iowa clearly gets a big break.

• Wow
Reactions: BigCyFan

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
In the "cross-overs" Nebraska got OSU for five and gets Michigan State for the next four seasons. Iowa does have OSU twice in the next four years. Next four seasons Iowa gets ******* Rutgers for four years while the rest of the division plays ranked teams. Minnesota gets MSU, Wisc get Ohio State and Huskers get Michigan while Iowa gets to pound footballs up Rutgers ass. Over that nine year period the Huskers arguably get the worst of the cross-over scheduling for the West. Over the next four years Iowa clearly gets a big break.
Not to pick bits but I think Rutgers is getting better bc they have Schiano back. They improved this year and are bringing in some really good recruits. Also who knows how long MSU remains this good. Tucker could be gone or his all in on transfers might not work every year. Also looking at the schedules Iowa has Mich and OSU in the same year twice, MSU and PSU in another.

• Informative
Reactions: Lafaester54

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
What I find fascinating are people that want Adrian Martinez to come back for a 5th season to prove all the doubters wrong. Scott Frost included.

I get the feeling from sports talk callers in Omaha is that they don't want him back. Which sucks to say about a college aged athlete.

Had Frost not played at Nebraska, I would have been 100% against him coaching there.
When a coach has a good thing going at school X, I just don't feel like a its a good option to look for greener pastures. Granted, many coaches have ambitions to move up the ladder to be at a blue blood, or move up from G5 or a non traditional P5. Seems that the success they achieve rarely matches the lure, but the pay day rises drastically.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Boxster already explained what the schedule is, but the reason why that’s the schedule is that Purdue and Indiana are in separate divisions and have a protected crossover game. In order to do that then, every team has one “protected” game for five years and then it moves on to the next team. So, for example, Wisconsin’s protected game has been Michigan and will change. If this schedule holds, there will be a point in time when Iowa plays Ohio State every year for four years

As for why nebraska played Ohio State right out of the gate, it was probably a mix of Nebraska arrogance, people thinking Nebraska would be better than they were, and maybe the big 10 wanting to bring them down a peg.

• Informative
Reactions: RonBurgundy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Boxster already explained what the schedule is, but the reason why that’s the schedule is that Purdue and Indiana are in separate divisions and have a protected crossover game. In order to do that then, every team has one “protected” game for five years and then it moves on to the next team. So, for example, Wisconsin’s protected game has been Michigan and will change. If this schedule holds, there will be a point in time when Iowa plays Ohio State every year for four years

As for why nebraska played Ohio State right out of the gate, it was probably a mix of Nebraska arrogance, people thinking Nebraska would be better than they were, and maybe the big 10 wanting to bring them down a peg.
I'm not sure I will live that long.