***NCAA Second Round: (7) Iowa State at (2) Stanford [Sun., 9:00 CT]***

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
From a Stanford fan:

"My heart is only now recovering after an hour drive home post-game. That was an epic battle - 18 lead changes along with 12 ties. Back to back to back "go ahead" shots by both teams in the final minutes of both regular and over time. Foul outs by both teams' best players.

Can Emily Ryan take a COVID year? She was aces all night long and had one of those performances where as much as you want to begrudge your opponent, you can only tip your hat. She nearly carried ISU on her tiny shoulders all by herself. Damn impressive. I became a fan, even as I was rooting for her to miss every shot..."

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
More quotes from message boards:

Crooks has a great attitude. There was another play when she lost the ball out of bounds and fell face down trying to retrieve it. She was laughing when she got up. Also, she was all hugs and smiles in the handshake line congratulating the Stanford players. How often do you see that from a player on the losing team?

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
One more post from another board,;

Brink picked up her 4th foul in the 3rd quarter and early in the 4th quarter was still quite aggressive defensively, going for blocks and her 5th foul was a blatant hack that she complained about before saying "duck* You" toward the ref as she walked off. I'm normally a Brink fan, but between that and her barking at a teammate earlier in the game, it just wasn't a good look for her tonight. Comparatively, when Crooks fouled out she waved to the fans as a thank you and was helping Stanford players up after falling despite having maybe the worst game of her career. Iowa State's biggest problem IMO was their insistence to pound the ball into her when she was clearly unable to score on Brink or Iriafen. I'd guess at least 6-7 of her shots were blocked and they just kept going to her instead of running looks for Emily Ryan (36 points on 12-20 shooting) or Addy Brown (18 points on 7-12 shooting). That said, a heck of an effort and season for Iowa State. They're going to be a handful next year and I'd expect Crooks to continue to improve in the offseason as she continues to get into better shape and develop moves around the basket. Going up against 2 future WNBA lottery picks tonight was a rough transition after feasting against Maryland's non-existent frontline two nights ago. With Stanford advancing, their regional is shaping up to be loaded with strong physical bigs in the Sweet 16. Texas, Stanford, Tennessee and NC State all have tall and physical front court players so it'll be a battle to watch in Portland.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I guess players can now drop F bombs at refs, as long as they are at home and it is evident the crew is doing everything it can to protect the favorites.

I mean, we all knew there was no way they would let Stanford lose early again, at home, in the NCAA tourney, right?

• Haha
Reactions: 3TrueFans

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Incredible game all around. Sucks to lose but this team has played so well down the stretch and they just competed with one of the best teams in all of women's basketball, coached by the winningest coach in women's basketball.

Emily Ryan as we all know played out of her mind and she's just such a calming presence on the floor. So glad she's coming back next year.

With a team comprised mostly of freshmen, this was a very good season and we should be great next year (hosting the NCAA tournament first and second rounds is the floor IMO).

Bummed we can't watch this squad anymore but the future is so bright!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I guess players can now drop F bombs at refs, as long as they are at home and it is evident the crew is doing everything it can to protect the favorites.

I mean, we all knew there was no way they would let Stanford lose early again, at home, in the NCAA tourney, right?
The one that amazed me that she got away with was running to mid court on a timeout jawing at the ref a few minutes after she had already fouled out.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I was watching on delay but no T for Vanderveer running onto the court and making contact with our players? Seriously what the???

I mean she only came about 10 feet out on the court. There must be a 12 foot rule for teams whose name begins with S and ends in D west of the Rockies. This is during live action as Stanford player (#44 of course) just scored to put them ahead and we are lining up for a free throw.

1711394843178.png

caulkasian

Dec 26, 2018
I mean she only came about 10 feet out on the court. There must be a 12 foot rule for teams whose name begins with S and ends in D west of the Rockies. This is during live action as Stanford player (#44 of course) just scored to put them ahead and we are lining up for a free throw.

View attachment 126350
This is crap. Robot refs now, eh. A call is a call is a call and you cannot say which blown calls cost you the game. Only way to do it is to get the calls right.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Why does Nyamer not play more? I thought she was playing a lot early in the year.
She had a megga slump start about mid January and never really came back. (and as time went on, lost her chance to come back as most of her minutes moved to others who were playing better).

• Informative
Reactions: isufbcurt

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I don’t love our defense. Looks like we are just hoping for them to miss open jumpers.
I think we got scared of fouling in OT and pretty much let them shoot. Maybe we hoped to out shoot them???

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Refs didn't want to decide the game, but, you have to call that!! Also, about 20 fouls on Brinks that have to be called
Refs say they don't want to decide a game, but will at times by deciding to not call fouls that are definite fouls. I'm not saying the refs cost us the game. They did let a lot of physical stuff go both ways, but when you have a coach making contact with a player on the court, you have to call those type of things.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron