NBA Offseason Thread

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Greg Oden chose Miami, not a big surprise, and a potentially great pick up for them. Finally gives them some actual size. I am not sure I expect much of anything from him this season though.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I was gonna cheer for Oden's legs to stay in one piece almost wherever he went but he's made it difficult. Still, I hope he finds some success in the NBA. Sucks to be that brittle.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
I was gonna cheer for Oden's legs to stay in one piece almost wherever he went but he's made it difficult. Still, I hope he finds some success in the NBA. Sucks to be that brittle.

I hope he has a great season individually, and opts out of the second year of his contract. Meanwhile the Heat manage to lose prior to reaching the Finals this season. In basketball I find it easy to cheer for individuals even on team I don't like. (Ray Allen being a good example this past season)

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Greg Oden chose Miami, not a big surprise, and a potentially great pick up for them. Finally gives them some actual size. I am not sure I expect much of anything from him this season though.

Hell yes. Could be a huge addition for Miami. I expect the Heat to bring him along very slowly this year but he could play a huge role for them in the playoffs and allow Miami to play a slighlty less aggresive defensive style and conserve more engergy. This takes some of the sting out of losing Miller.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The east playoffs should be really interesting next year if everyone remains healthy. Between Brooklyn, Chicago, Miami, and Indiana you've got some loaded teams.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hell yes. Could be a huge addition for Miami. I expect the Heat to bring him along very slowly this year but he could play a huge role for them in the playoffs and allow Miami to play a slighlty less aggresive defensive style and conserve more engergy. This takes some of the sting out of losing Miller.
Thought Oden was already 43.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

It's an interesting get for Miami. I do think that if he can stay healthy (big if - remember three microfracture knee surgeries in five years) he can be really valuable to them as a situational player against bigger, more physical teams like Indiana. But I don't see him being a 10-20 minute per game guy. He just doesn't fit with thier offensiver style. As we saw in the playoffs, the Heat are at their best spacing the floor with shooters and letting Lebron get to the paint for drive and kick opportunities.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It's an interesting get for Miami. I do think that if he can stay healthy (big if - remember three microfracture knee surgeries in five years) he can be really valuable to them as a situational player against bigger, more physical teams like Indiana. But I don't see him being a 10-20 minute per game guy. He just doesn't fit with thier offensiver style. As we saw in the playoffs, the Heat are at their best spacing the floor with shooters and letting Lebron get to the paint for drive and kick opportunities.

They're not at their best playing Indiana with that style. They made Roy Hibbert look like Kareem and turned Indiana into a elite offense when they were middle of the pack all year long.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They're not at their best playing Indiana with that style. They made Roy Hibbert look like Kareem and turned Indiana into a elite offense when they were middle of the pack all year long.

Right. I also said in my original post "he can be really valuable to them as a situational player against bigger, more physical teams like Indiana.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Greg Oden was last seen in the year 2000 in M. Night Shyamalan's superhero film "Unbreakable."

unbreakable3.jpg

I'd guess the over/under on Oden's season-ending injury for 2013-2014 is about, oh, say, five weeks from now.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

He also doesn't fit their hyper aggresive defensive style. There are very few big guys that can do what Bosh does in trapping pick and rolls that high and then getting back to cover the lane. I think Oden could potentially allow Miami to adjust their defensive style to play a more convential, conservative style against teams like Indiana. And they can find ways to fit him in on offensive, Birdman was able to get plenty of looks just by cutting to the basket, as long as Oden can actually catch the ball he'll be an offensive upgrade over Joel Anthony.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Preseason is coming to a close this week. Opening night is Tuesday. Any updated predictions? What are people most looking forward to this season? What are your expectations?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Preseason is coming to a close this week. Opening night is Tuesday. Any updated predictions? What are people most looking forward to this season? What are your expectations?

I expect the Lakers and the Celtics to absolutely suck which I'm pretty sure hasn't happened too many times in the history of the league. (both, in the same year)

Potential up and comers, New Orleans, Cleveland, Washington

If Miami stays reasonably healthy they'll win again.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I expect the Lakers and the Celtics to absolutely suck which I'm pretty sure hasn't happened too many times in the history of the league. (both, in the same year)

Add Minnesota to your up-and-comers if they manage to stay healthy for once.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover

There were some pretty lean years for boston and lakers in the 90's

Help Support Us

Become a patron