NBA "D-League" to be renamed

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
They could use a revamp but not sure Gatorade league sounds better. D league makes me think of d-list which is not good.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
60-70k?

Do players make much more than 100k per year in Europe? I would think guys would be willing to stay where they are familiar and have a much better shot at getting a 10 day contract.

That's a good question, and I have no idea. I know that the current D League salary is 25K for the best players with a per diem for meals, etc, which the NBA ought to be ashamed of.

I'm not sure what the typical player makes overseas, but I would guess that it starts right around $100,000 and goes up from there. I read Paul Shirley's book a long while back and I vaguely recall him claiming contract amounts substantially more than $100K overseas, but who knows whether that was embellished or if he ever actually got paid out for the full amount of the contract. Some of the European leagues are a little sketchy. @brentblum , do you know much about how competitive the overseas leagues are in comparison with the D League or NBA?

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Anything beats Developmental League. To me, this name was such a turn off and has a stigma of poor, one-on-one basketball. Developmental sounds more like winter ball (in baseball terms) rather than AAA.

If the league is going to be branded by something, Gatorade is about as powerful and least-controversial as any. I like it.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
That's a good question, and I have no idea. I know that the current D League salary is 25K for the best players with a per diem for meals, etc, which the NBA ought to be ashamed of.

I'm not sure what the typical player makes overseas, but I would guess that it starts right around $100,000 and goes up from there. I read Paul Shirley's book a long while back and I vaguely recall him claiming contract amounts substantially more than $100K overseas, but who knows whether that was embellished or if he ever actually got paid out for the full amount of the contract. Some of the European leagues are a little sketchy. @brentblum , do you know much about how competitive the overseas leagues are in comparison with the D League or NBA?

D-League pay sucks: http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2013/5/3/4296092/examining-the-low-pay-of-nba-d-league-players

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Anything beats Developmental League. To me, this name was such a turn off and has a stigma of poor, one-on-one basketball. Developmental sounds more like winter ball (in baseball terms) rather than AAA.

If the league is going to be branded by something, Gatorade is about as powerful and least-controversial as any. I like it.

I agree. Unless it was set up like the MLB farm system, then there really wasn't ever going to be much of any development happening by the franchises. It was just a dumping ground for fringe guys and players who left college too early and washed out of the NBA.

Now that nearly every franchise has a D League team 1:1 affiliate (there are something like five or six NBA teams remaining that do not have one), it's closer to becoming a true minor league system where teams can develop players for their system and philosophy at the lower level and eventually call them up.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/9/2/4685092/nba-d-league-vs-overseas

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
If that link is correct, and overseas guys generally start between $60-100k per year, I would think $50,000 to $60,000 would be enough to keep guys in the states.

Currently, D league guys do have their housing and food paid for, so the salary will go further.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Had more of a fondness for the D?
kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
One of the biggest problems with the D-League is that teams don't own the rights to all the players on their D-League team. NBA organizations aren't going to invest a lot of money to develop those guys when 10-12 of the guys on the team are free agents who can sign with any other team. They need to expand the rosters and allow for more developmental spots, something like the MLB has with a 25 and 40 man roster, have a 15 and 20 man roster or something.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
One of the biggest problems with the D-League is that teams don't own the rights to all the players on their D-League team. NBA organizations aren't going to invest a lot of money to develop those guys when 10-12 of the guys on the team are free agents who can sign with any other team. They need to expand the rosters and allow for more developmental spots, something like the MLB has with a 25 and 40 man roster, have a 15 and 20 man roster or something.
I thought this was in the works with every team getting their own D league affiliate?

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
i wish they would throw players together from certain geographical location (which I think they kind of do in some cases) and then have a "waiver wire" type deal where any team can snatch up a player from any team if they are in some sort of "order". I think that would increase popularity and attendance. Have all the Iowa ISU UNI etc players on a team and so on and have it be the Iowa team for example, increase salaries to entice players to stay.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I was hoping it would be the Rhone Poulenc Weed Whacker League.

In the more major leagues like Italy and Spain, I'm sure it's comon for "imports" to make $200k or more. In some of the smaller countries, I'm sure making around $60k is more common.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron