National issue finally surfaces in the NFL.....

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Not the way the thread was titled, but I heard about this story yesterday.

As far as bullying goes, it's hard to say whether it was standard hazing that he was being over sensitive to, or if he was actually being bullied because of his over sensitivity. In any case, while extremely childish and stupid, the lunch table "incident" seems a little tame to be the straw that broke the camel's back, which goes back to my statement earlier that I don't know whether he's over sensitive or the hazing up to that point had been just that bad.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Not the way the thread was titled, but I heard about this story yesterday.

As far as bullying goes, it's hard to say whether it was standard hazing that he was being over sensitive to, or if he was actually being bullied because of his over sensitivity. In any case, while extremely childish and stupid, the lunch table "incident" seems a little tame to be the straw that broke the camel's back, which goes back to my statement earlier that I don't know whether he's over sensitive or the hazing up to that point had been just that bad.

While he could just be oversensitive, all rookies get hazed, and he probably saw that he was getting treated differently than other rookies. Also if you're the type of person that gets bullied your whole life and someone gives the nickname "big weirdo" in the professional world, that would be hard to put up with.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I really wonder if this guy is dealing with some external issues outside of football/dumb team mates, and things came to a head with this situation.

With a Stanford degree and hopefully a career after football, he might have some names to call those guys in 20 years when they are a bunch of broke *****.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I really wonder if this guy is dealing with some external issues outside of football/dumb team mates, and things came to a head with this situation.

With a Stanford degree and hopefully a career after football, he might have some names to call those guys in 20 years when they are a bunch of broke *****.
It said he was receiving counseling for problems before this happened I believe in the story i read yesterday.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
While he could just be oversensitive, all rookies get hazed, and he probably saw that he was getting treated differently than other rookies. Also if you're the type of person that gets bullied your whole life and someone gives the nickname "big weirdo" in the professional world, that would be hard to put up with.

I'd tell the guy to nut up and grow a pair but he IS 320lbs of athletic specimen. I wonder if his Mommy gives him cocoa and tells him he's a special young man and sings him songs to help him sleep.

And YES I am totally mocking his "situation".

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
The dude is only 4 years removed from being raised by mommy and her minivan...In his defense, if any of these bullies are offensive linemen, that would be a hoot.

Miami leads the NFL in 'sacks allowed'. Pretty lame if these weak-*** o-linemen are spending their energy on harassing instead of blocking and protecting their QB

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
He's 6'5" 312 lbs. I'd tell him to knock out the next person that gives him ****. I bet the bullying would stop after that.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Honestly, I can't believe some of the opinions on here with this issue. It sounds like both parties are being childish. At a certain age you need to man up and know when you've pushed someone too far. That said, on the other side you should also man up and say something to the aggressors.

The real problem here is probably the herd mentality that exists in that organization that allows this to occur. Sometimes people don't fit into a group, and whether it be the weakness of the hazed party, or the weakness of the bullies with the "need" to bully, it takes an organization to set their identity and draw the line.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Honestly, I can't believe some of the opinions on here with this issue. It sounds like both parties are being childish. At a certain age you need to man up and know when you've pushed someone too far. That said, on the other side you should also man up and say something to the aggressors.

The real problem here is probably the herd mentality that exists in that organization that allows this to occur. Sometimes people don't fit into a group, and whether it be the weakness of the hazed party, or the weakness of the bullies with the "need" to bully, it takes an organization to set their identity and draw the line.

So an elite group that has generally been coddled throughout their athletic progression and in MANY cases were the perpetrators of other "bullying" are now being bullied? A bunch of BARELY adult men making HUGE sums of money after having years and years of handlers looking out for their every need and now one of them thinks mean things were said to him.

Hard for me to do anything other than snicker. Hard to tell a bunch of professional athletes to "grow up" and not smirk.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
So an elite group that has generally been coddled throughout their athletic progression and in MANY cases were the perpetrators of other "bullying" are now being bullied? A bunch of BARELY adult men making HUGE sums of money after having years and years of handlers looking out for their every need and now one of them thinks mean things were said to him.

Hard for me to do anything other than snicker. Hard to tell a bunch of professional athletes to "grow up" and not smirk.

Thats a great point...you're saying that they are getting what they deserve...karma. I get it. If only that was applied equally to all of those players who were a-holes. If only they were all bullied proportionate to their previous transgressions. If it is a question about karma...yeah...snicker away.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't get from that article that Martin was a bully on his way up to the NFL (who knows, maybe he was). Most likely it is that his aggressors were the bullies you are talking about throughout their career, and they are continuing it in the NFL. The organization giving them a new platform to continue their "privilege."

In either case, it all goes back to the organization who writes the checks to get a hold on their atmosphere and identity.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Thats a great point...you're saying that they are getting what they deserve...karma. I get it. If only that was applied equally to all of those players who were a-holes. If only they were all bullied proportionate to their previous transgressions. If it is a question about karma...yeah...snicker away.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't get from that article that Martin was a bully on his way up to the NFL (who knows, maybe he was). Most likely it is that his aggressors were the bullies you are talking about throughout their career, and they are continuing it in the NFL. The organization giving them a new platform to continue their "privilege."

In either case, it all goes back to the organization who writes the checks to get a hold on their atmosphere and identity.

What I'm saying, is I will not rush out to buy a wristband to show my concern for NFL bullying, nor will I give money, nor will I watch a telethon, or view any kind of PSA for NFL bullying.

"Bullying" is becoming a very overused term and when it's applied to grown men who are educated and responsible and SUPPOSED to be well-adjusted and understand the NUMEROUS coping mechanisms available - I simply giggle. Gonna save my emotional outrage for cancer kids or welfare abuse or Obamacare or something that actually matters to more than just 1 very large, physically gifted rich athlete with an elite education.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
What I'm saying, is I will not rush out to buy a wristband to show my concern for NFL bullying, nor will I give money, nor will I watch a telethon, or view any kind of PSA for NFL bullying.

"Bullying" is becoming a very overused term and when it's applied to grown men who are educated and responsible and SUPPOSED to be well-adjusted and understand the NUMEROUS coping mechanisms available - I simply giggle. Gonna save my emotional outrage for cancer kids or welfare abuse or Obamacare or something that actually matters to more than just 1 very large, physically gifted rich athlete with an elite education.

Fair enough. I don't support the NFL in general. I guess I'm more disgusted that these people are getting so much money to continue on their reign of terror.

With any "cause" that gains enough attention to be mainstream, you're going to have the ridiculous claims (high school parent claiming other team bullied their kid's team by putting up 70 on them = stupid). That doesn't mean there aren't legitimate issues out there. Maybe this is one of them, maybe not, but it doesn't sit right with me for a player who actually works their way up to that level to be bullied out because of the actions from other coddled bullies who've made it to the NFL.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Does the wonderlick test identify potential to be bullied? If not, they need to add a couple of questions because I would not want my left tackle to be a wimp.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis

Right, because that's EXACTLY what the implication of the article is. Couldn't agree more.