Music Mondays - Influential Albums

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Another release during that seemingly golden period of the early 90s. This is one of the first bands and albums I latched on to all by myself. My older brother didn't have a hand in this one, but I loved it none the less.

Every time I hear the opening bars of the opening song Cherub Rock, I am transported back to my teenage years, listening to music way too loud on my stereo in my room.

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Smashing Pumpkins at Palmer Auditorium in Davenport was the sweatiest, most intense concert experience I've ever had.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast, 1982. I was heading into my sophmore year of high school and it was the greatest sound I had ever heard. I've listened to Maiden nearly every day since then and will see them for the 17th time this June.

My older brother had quite a few Iron Maiden posters that scared the crap out of me as a little kid. I grew to appreciate their music later in life though.

This one was a bit creepy at the time:

23a555b7-a967-4df5-bc55-4e73c05f7ed3

Reactions: CYKID

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Two albums blew my head open to really influence what I listen to today.

1. Led Zeppelin, II
I thought I knew what rock music was until this crossed my ears. The hardest thing I found in my dad's record collection was Queen's "A Night at the Opera." Still a huge Led Zep fan to this day.

2. Radiohead, Ok Computer
I was a pretty big Pink Floyd fan, so it was pretty natural that I would like the album, but the electronic portion was so much darker and it just captured the general feeling of foreboding and horror (it speaks to me as much now as it did then, if not more so). It also introduced me to a bunch more artists and got me started on listening to bands like the Pixies, The Smiths, Joy Division, etc.

• Winner
Reactions: Gonzo and cyhiphopp

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
"Nevermind" Nirvana. Anyone born in the 80's who grew up in the 90's and loves rock has this album in their list, or they're lying to you.

"A Blessing and a Curse" Drive-By Truckers. My alt-country gateway drug.

"Full Moon Fever" Tom Petty. First album I ever owned. On cassette.

"Let It Bleed" the Stones. My dad played this a lot when I was a kid and it remains the template for my sonic pallette. Gritty guitar driven rock sliding up next to classic country. It doesnt get any better.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
My music tastes originate back to 1994:

Green Day - Dookie
Weezer - The Blue Album
The Offspring - Smash
Bush - Sixteen Stone
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in NY
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication

I still listen to all of these albums regularly. That was a hell of a year.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
"Nevermind" Nirvana. Anyone born in the 80's who grew up in the 90's and loves rock has this album in their list, or they're lying to you.

"A Blessing and a Curse" Drive-By Truckers. My alt-country gateway drug.

"Full Moon Fever" Tom Petty. First album I ever owned. On cassette.

"Let It Bleed" the Stones. My dad played this a lot when I was a kid and it remains the template for my sonic pallette. Gritty guitar driven rock sliding up next to classic country. It doesnt get any better.

Nevermind was just huge. Grunge would have never been as mainstream without it. I can remember sitting and watching MTV when I first saw this video. Mind = BLOWN

Reactions: 0u812

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Green Day - Dookie
Weezer - The Blue Album
The Offspring - Smash
Bush - Sixteen Stone
Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Love 94. The Blue Album was huge for me and I've always loved the Beastie Boys. I think Soundgarden is one of the best bands of their generation. They kept the edge on Grunge.

Reactions: 0u812

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm going to break up this 90s love fest and throw in a true classic. Yet another one that I stole from my big brother and one I really owe him for.
This album opened up the entire RUSH catalog to me. Of course my brother owned pretty much every album, so that helped. I think this is by far their most well received album by the masses. The 70s was filled with prog rock concept albums which are great in their own right, but this one had tons of hits.

RUSH - Moving Pictures

2112 is one of my other favorites even though it's way out there in the prog rock stratosphere.

Reactions: weR138 and algonacy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Nirvana Nevermind and Dr Dre the Chronic, both changed their genre and influenced everything that came after. If you hear a hip hop song the radio, its because of the Chronic, it mainstreamed rap music and brought it to middle America....for better or worse.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
Good conversation here....agree with a lot of previous posts!

I remember Run DMC - Raising Hell from 1986....my mother bought the cassette for me after she asked "will this piss off your dad?" and I said, oh yeah.

College days......Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream was big....also Nirvana Nevermind.....got into the fuzzy/grunge music for me.....throw in Alice in Chains - Dirt, as well as Pearl Jam - 10. All good stuff, and pretty influential....I preferred heavier rock, so leaned towards AIC out of these bands.

Also saw Pantera in Davenport (Palmer Auditorium?) on their "Far Beyond Driven" tour....was really badass. A friend of mine wanted me to get tickets after the christmas break, from the TM at ISU. He was working construction in Mason City, and only had a pager.....I came back to ISU to purchase the tickets, and the show was sold out. I couldnt get ahold of my friend, and he showed up the morning of the concert, all ready to roll to the Pantera show.....but I had no tickets. We sat around the dorm (Friley) bummed out that we didnt have tix, and eventually said f%^k it, lets roll to Davenport and figure out a way. His Pontiac 6000 wagon had a ****** heater and the back window was broken out. We froze our ass off (early Feb) and drove to Davenport. Pre gps days, and we didnt know where the venue was, and after driving around aimlessly for a bit, I said....ok, lets look for some dudes in black tee shirts and follow that car. Worked like a charm......eventually got scalped tix, but missed the opening band. Was supposed to be Type O Negative, but their singer or someone in the band was sick.....so we really only missed a local band open for Pantera. Wild crazy show.....one of the best I have been to!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Someone already mention Ill Communication, but I'd like to throw out Beastie Boys - Check Your Head. 80s Beastie Boys offering like License to Ill and Paul's Boutique were either not taken seriously, or critically acclaimed but not as commercially successful. Check Your Head thrust the Beasties back into business as serious hiphop moguls.

So Whatcha Want was the biggest single, but the whole album is fantastic.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Someone already mention Ill Communication, but I'd like to throw out Beastie Boys - Check Your Head. 80s Beastie Boys offering like License to Ill and Paul's Boutique were either not taken seriously, or critically acclaimed but not as commercially successful. Check Your Head thrust the Beasties back into business as serious hiphop moguls.

So Whatcha Want was the biggest single, but the whole album is fantastic.

Also, I probably wouldn't be cyhiphopp without the Beastie Boys.

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Sublime: Sublime for sure. First cd I ever got.

Hybred Theory was a big one for me. Also the first eminem album. A little bit later but N.E.R.D. In Search Of is still one of my favorites.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Green Day - Dookie
Weezer - The Blue Album
The Offspring - Smash
Bush - Sixteen Stone
Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Yikes, great list right there.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Nirvana Nevermind and Dr Dre the Chronic, both changed their genre and influenced everything that came after. If you hear a hip hop song the radio, its because of the Chronic, it mainstreamed rap music and brought it to middle America....for better or worse.

I don't have the chronic, but 2001 was an album we still bump. I could recite that whole thing.

Reactions: heitclone

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Someone already mention Ill Communication, but I'd like to throw out Beastie Boys - Check Your Head. 80s Beastie Boys offering like License to Ill and Paul's Boutique were either not taken seriously, or critically acclaimed but not as commercially successful.

I can tell you (since I'm that ****ing old) that while LTI was panned (but $$$ successful), Paul's Boutique was highly regarded as was Check Your Head. The Beasties distanced themselves from LTI and really CYH is vastly different from LTI.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Good lord I feel old reading through this thread:

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Tom Petty - Southern Comfort
RATM - Rage Against the Machine
Stones - Sticky Fingers
R.E.M. - Out of Time
Cake - Comfort Eagle

And one moving up the list fast - Brad Sucks - I Don't Know What I am Doing

Pretty much everyone of those is an album I went during a challenging time (usually in the military).

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and cyhiphopp

Help Support Us

Become a patron