The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Absolutely true.

Some others -

The Velvet Underground & Nico - basically every rock album
The Stooges (or Funhouse or Raw Power) - basically every punk rock/hardcore album
Black Sabbath - basically every metal album
David Bowie's Low - basically every 80's new wave album

First one that popped in my head. One of the most influential albums of all time. Brian Eno joked that they sold about 100 copies, but everyone that bought it became rock stars.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The Church's 1988 "Starfish" album influenced both Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins. Smashing Pumpkins plays the Church song Reptile at their live shows.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Seems to be some diversion in interpretation --- hip-hopp's OP stated "albums influential to us," but there have been posts about albums influential to music in general. (No problem with that, just trying to find a focus.)

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Seems to be some diversion in interpretation --- hip-hopp's OP stated "albums influential to us," but there have been posts about albums influential to music in general. (No problem with that, just trying to find a focus.)

Eh. Either way is fine. They can be influential to us or ones we feel are influential overall. I can also assume that if you know of an album that was influential to music, that you know it well enough for it to have influenced you as well.

Reactions: cyclones500

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I will never forget taking my daughter home from the hospital and hearing "Hey Ho" by The Lumineers on the radio. I bought that album and listened to it non-stop. Hearing that song will always remind me of her. I also found myself listening to a lot of female artists like Joan Jett (mostly her greatest hits album), Patti Smith (Easter & Horses), Nico (Chelsea Girl), and No Doubt (Tragic Kingdom) while my wife was pregnant with our daughter. I don't even know if I was doing it subconsciously or if I was aware at the time, but those are albums that remind me of her. It also probably explains why she talks back all the time and doesn't listen to either me or her mother.

When my son was born he was a light sleeper, so I played a lot of Paul Simon (Self-titled album, Graceland, and Still Crazy After All These Years) and Lou Reed (Transformer) to chill him out.

Now we are expecting our third, so I we'll see what my tastes are this time around. Probably something chaotic, although, lately I have been listening to "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" pretty much on repeat while at work.

It's funny to see how my familial changes influenced my taste of music.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Angie and cyhiphopp

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I was born in 1980 & rejected most of the 90s, preferring to dig into my dad's 70s vinyl collection.

I don't know about influential, but I believe Alice Cooper deserves more credit than he gets for this classic:

It really picks up on side two and digs into some dark stuff bookended by a couple light-hearted rock grooves.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Oh my gosh, I love this thread and didn't see it until today. Lots and lots and lots:

- Paul's Boutique - The Beasties - They broke out of their frat-boy thing and had the Dust Brothers help them just redefine hip-hop/rap. I was too young to really listen to it when it came out, but it's been influential since high school or so.

- Automatic for the People - REM - Came out sometime in the late middle school/high school range. I had it on cassette, and wore that mother out. Great breakup album.

- The Chronic - Dre and Doggystyle - Snoop - I really, really started my gangsta rap love in pretty much 1993/94. Awesome albums.

- Nevermind and In Utero - Nirvana - I don't revere Nirvana like I used to, but I listened to these a ton while wearing all the flannel and overalls.

- Blue Album - Weezer - I think I wore this and Fashion Nugget by Cake out. They made music fun.

- Full Moon Fever - Tom Petty - I'd been listening to Tom Petty since I was tiny, but this was the first of his albums I bought on my own and loved.

- Tommy - The Who - I bought it on vinyl when I was in 8th grade, as my dad had loved the Who, and just became obsessed.

- Hair soundtrack - Various - I went through a hippie thing in-between 7th and 8th grade. Listened to this and wore rose-tinted sunglasses Janis Joplin-style for a while. I'm going to guess I came off as eccentric for that summer.

- White Blood Cells - White Stripes - got me into the new garage rock.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
While not an album, this vid was pretty influential a few years ago when things started getting a little out of hand...

Reactions: Angie

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hip hop, soul, R&B, funk, and rap didn't really show up on my radar until college. There are 2 albums that were instrumental in developing my appreciation for that genre.

Stevie Wonder, Innervisions
Coming from a household where Chicago was the funkiest thing that I could find, Stevie Wonder was a revelation. My undergrad adviser was a huge fan and introduced me to this album in particular. It tapped into a part of me I didn't realize existed until that point.

The Roots, Phrenology
I heard The Seed (2.0) and immediately went out and bought the album. I didn't know anybody who listened to The Roots in high school, so it was my first exposure. This is where I really began to listen to other rap artists and began to appreciate the music.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Hip hop, soul, R&B, funk, and rap didn't really show up on my radar until college. There are 2 albums that were instrumental in developing my appreciation for that genre.

Stevie Wonder, Innervisions
Coming from a household where Chicago was the funkiest thing that I could find, Stevie Wonder was a revelation. My undergrad adviser was a huge fan and introduced me to this album in particular. It tapped into a part of me I didn't realize existed until that point.

The Roots, Phrenology
I heard The Seed (2.0) and immediately went out and bought the album. I didn't know anybody who listened to The Roots in high school, so it was my first exposure. This is where I really began to listen to other rap artists and began to appreciate the music.

Stevie might be the perfect introduction to funky soul music. Particularly from that era.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
- Blue Album - Weezer - I think I wore this and Fashion Nugget by Cake out. They made music fun.

I can't believe I forgot about Cake. My best friend growing up had ALL of their CDs. I would have to say that Cake is pretty influential to me in that they were my gateway to listening to Jazz/Funk as I got older. Cake's use of horns and biting guitar chords is a pretty much a blend of Funk & Alternative.

• Agree

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I listened to some hip-hop in the 80s, but the 90s, for me, is the golden age of hip-hop. It went through multiple phases including gangster rap with the East coast/West coast feud and ended with more commercial hip-hop/R&B collaborations. But for me, my all time favorite style of hip-hop was championed by A Tribe Called Quest.

And while I loved "Peoples Instinctive Travlels..." and "Midnight Marauders", "The Low End Theory" just blew my mind. Intelligent hip-hop with none of the fronting that became so prevalent in gangsta rap.

Just a sampling from that album:

Featuring Leaders of the New School with a young Busta Rhymes

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy and 0u812

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
I listened to some hip-hop in the 80s, but the 90s, for me, is the golden age of hip-hop. It went through multiple phases including gangster rap with the East coast/West coast feud and ended with more commercial hip-hop/R&B collaborations. But for me, my all time favorite style of hip-hop was championed by A Tribe Called Quest.

And while I loved "Peoples Instinctive Travlels..." and "Midnight Marauders", "The Low End Theory" just blew my mind. Intelligent hip-hop with none of the fronting that became so prevalent in gangsta rap.

Agree with this ^^. As a student in Friley, loved to listen to KUSR and at that time they had hip hop every weekday afternoon. Got into a lot of good stuff on those shows.....Gangstarr, Eric B and Rakim, Tribe, Pete Rock and CL Smooth etc.....good stuff.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I can't believe I forgot about Cake. My best friend growing up had ALL of their CDs. I would have to say that Cake is pretty influential to me in that they were my gateway to listening to Jazz/Funk as I got older. Cake's use of horns and biting guitar chords is a pretty much a blend of Funk & Alternative.

Yes! And the use of dissonance and minor keys. They've got these styles that make you much more receptive to other types of music.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Shocked I haven't seen any RHCP in here.

Californication was one of my first intros into music.

Also less mentioned in this thread is Incubus-Make Yourself (or SCIENCE)

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Make Yourself is fan-freaking-tastic. I also love the raw quality of SCIENCE.

For me RHCP was at it's best with Blood Sugar Sex Magik
While I now appreciate BSSM, I was 3 days away from being born when it was released lol (yes I just looked up the exact date it was released)

• Funny
Reactions: 0u812