Movies you liked that many didn't

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
2001: A Space Odyssey - I loved it, but a good friend of mine, who is perhaps the brightest person I have known, didn't like it. That caused me to recalculate my judgment, since I'm kind of a dummy.

Last edited:

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Boiler Room

Rounders

And, in my office today, someone tried to smack talk The Great Escape. I almost went ballistic.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
"If I had your job, I think I'd shoot myself! Let me see if I can find you a pistol."

I use this frequently at work when someone is carping about their job.

I'm unsure if this or Tombstone is the more quotable movie?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This one is right in my wheel house as I love a lot of movies that everyone else hates. First on the list has to be Battleship Earth. This belongs in the category of movies I have to watch whenever they're on. It actually boggles my mind how people can hate Battleship Earth and love Independence Day because they're basically the same movie set in different times. Think about it. Primitive earthlings having to decipher new technology to defeat the big bad aliens. Equally stupid plots, but just fun movies, for me at least.

Next is Waterworld. Everyone pans Waterworld. If you look past the bad acting (quite possibly Dennis Hopper's worst ever acting role) it's good fun.

The Postman is next. Maybe it's just Kevin Costner movies that I like that everyone else hates.

Napolean Dynamite is another. Most of my friends think it's stupid. But I think they just don't get that its a comedic movie and not a teenage angst movie.:pwink:

Napolean Dynamite is a polarizing movie. Everyone I know either loves that movie or hates it. I would say the same with the Big Lebowski. It may be my favorite movie, but I know quite a few people who just don't get it. Seems to be the case for most Coen brother movies

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The Village

While I didn't think The Village was very good, I actually think the idea of it was really creative.

I also really liked Unbreakable, which I don't think is hated, but I don't think it is too popular.

I know that Signs is fairly popular, but I love it and will watch it every single time it's on TV. I think the whole story is great and a few random scenes are just awesome in my book:
-Phoenix and Gibson talking while watching the newscasts of the events around the world at night while the kids sleep
-While the house is being invaded, Gibson stops to tell his kids the stories about the days they were born.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Attack of the killer tomatoes. The concept of that movie cracks me up. The original Last House on the Left.

The original Last House on the Left was, up to that point, the scariest movie I'd ever seen. It was one of those B movie drive-in specials on three-for-the-price-of-one night, but it scared the crap out of me. Years later, I saw it again and it was laughably bad and not scary in the least. I was too busy laughing at the bad acting, the bad special effects and the bad plot line to be scared.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Boiler Room

Rounders

And, in my office today, someone tried to smack talk The Great Escape. I almost went ballistic.

Surprised you say Rounders. I've never heard of anyone not liking that. Especially if you like poker. One of the best movies I've seen, in my opinion.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Napolean Dynamite is a polarizing movie. Everyone I know either loves that movie or hates it. I would say the same with the Big Lebowski. It may be my favorite movie, but I know quite a few people who just don't get it. Seems to be the case for most Coen brother movies
The first time I saw Napoleon Dynamite I said wtf did I just watch? On subsequent viewings I found it pretty funny

Help Support Us

Become a patron