Movie at Jack Trice on Saturday

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I don't think they could draw the kind of numbers they did last night if they had it more than a couple times a year.

cyadict

Aug 4, 2006
Ankeny
Last night was perfect for doing this. The weather couldn't have been better. Just made me realize how bad my yard is compared to the field. So jealous.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
We took the grandkids and had a very good time. I think Kevin Jackson and family were a couple of blankets in front of us. It was a great idea and very fun - great way to get kids in Jack Trice. On a slightly different note - I wish my grass was half as nice as Jack Trice's grass.

yeah that's all the turf and facilities guys

What were the concession prices like? We went to Hickory Park first and were full so didn't have any. Great idea to have water available for everyone.

I don't think they could draw the kind of numbers they did last night if they had it more than a couple times a year.
exactly and the turf guys probably wouldn't be too happy with the stress on the grass from doing that multiple times

They should be able to make the $$ back up in concessions, did you see those lines? It was at least a 30 min wait.
ISU didn't take a cut last night, concessions were reduced price

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
On the plus side we have a sweet new dine-in brewery theater concept coming to merle hay mall. That could be awesome.

I've been to a theater like that. While having the option to order beer and food is somewhat nice, being interrupted by waiters taking your order and everyone else's around you isn't so fun. Neither is listening to other people eating/chatting during the movie which seems to happen because it's not a normal movie atmosphere.

I'd much rather go to a normal theater and eat/drink somewhere else.

jkeppy

Apr 12, 2006
Bettendorf, IA
The cost to show the movie depends on the movie (new releases are more $.) Wreck It Ralph is $300 for one day (you can show it up to three times during that day.)

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Well, it seems that we have our new "drive in" theater!

As for a more adult-themed movie, I would worry about who that would draw and whether they should be on the field. The older the kids, the more likely for something unfortunate to happen, such as somebody coming drunk with a shovel. Frankly, I'm still shocked that they let all of us on the field, but glad to say that I didn't see anybody doing anything that would damage it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I've been to a theater like that. While having the option to order beer and food is somewhat nice, being interrupted by waiters taking your order and everyone else's around you isn't so fun. Neither is listening to other people eating/chatting during the movie which seems to happen because it's not a normal movie atmosphere.

I'd much rather go to a normal theater and eat/drink somewhere else.

To each their own. Ive been to one and had a great time.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Billy Joe's Pitcher Show off 22nd Street (North of the Hooters just off I235) used to be like that. I saw the Rocky Horror Picture Show there once in college, and I went to another "normal" movie there as well. Most of the ordering took place before the movie started, so the disruptions were minimized. Not as good for watching the movie as a regular movie experience, but it's enough like a drive in to be a good novelty.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Billy Joe's Pitcher Show off 22nd Street (North of the Hooters just off I235) used to be like that. I saw the Rocky Horror Picture Show there once in college, and I went to another "normal" movie there as well. Most of the ordering took place before the movie started, so the disruptions were minimized. Not as good for watching the movie as a regular movie experience, but it's enough like a drive in to be a good novelty.

Billy Joe's was awesome. This new place at MHM looks stupid. I googled it cause it's a chain/franchise and it will not last long in DSM and MHM. Didn't look cool at all.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Billy Joe's was awesome. This new place at MHM looks stupid. I googled it cause it's a chain/franchise and it will not last long in DSM and MHM. Didn't look cool at all.

Its the second of its 'chain'.. and a very unique kind of place. It'll do fine

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I wish they had done more to make it an Iowa State event. They showed Cyclone slides on the video board before the game, but then, just showed the movie. There was a table with Cyclone posters, but not even a welcome or invitation to join the Jr. Cyclone Club. It would have been awesome to have Coach Rhoads, even on video, welcome everyone and say that he is "soooo proud of our Jr. Cyclones!" A little something like that would have gone a long way in terms of PR.

All in all, it was a great success. Tons of people, everyone having a great time. Even kids (and their dads) throwing footballs around the field. Hope they do it again.

I agree, more Paul Rhoads is more "PR."

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
Only downside was the concessions, honestly. Waited in line for about 40 mins and they ran out of half the stuff before we even got up there. One of the workers said it was busier than the ISU/Iowa game...

Other than that - do it again, ISU! Great experience and a great family night.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron