Movie at Jack Trice on Saturday

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
They should do Remember the Titans...is there any other somewhat family friendly football movie? I think Titans is more interesting to kids than Rudy.

I watched ET at movies in the park here in Chicago a few years back and some joker came through on a bmx with a hoodie and a stuffed animal in the milk crate like Eliot and ET. Was pretty awesome actually.

Remember the Titans would be awesome.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Sound system was great...acoustics were stadiumish

There was a pretty bad echo where we were sitting. However, I talked to a guy who has never been to the stadium who was blown away by the quality of the videoboard.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Awesome night. The athletic department has done a great job of cultivating a family atmosphere in Ames which will pay off in the long run as these kids are future season ticket holders and donors.

cyclonefan1983

Feb 12, 2009
Anyone wish they still had drive in movie theaters? I know Ames had one how many years ago in west Ames, right?

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Anyone wish they still had drive in movie theaters? I know Ames had one how many years ago in west Ames, right?

There is still a drive-in theater in Newton. My wife and I were talking about this the other night because we caught the end of the drive-in era as young kids. We came to the conclusion that although the drive-in experience is a cool novelty you can't really compete with all of the state of the art theaters. Plus, dive-ins have to start later for darkness and are really dependent on the weather conditions.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There is still a drive-in theater in Newton. My wife and I were talking about this the other night because we caught the end of the drive-in era as young kids. We came to the conclusion that although the drive-in experience is a cool novelty you can't really compete with all of the state of the art theaters. Plus, dive-ins have to start later for darkness and are really dependent on the weather conditions.

One of my more vivid memories as a kid was going to a drive in movie when I was probably 8 or so. We saw Batman with Michael Keaton.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA

It was out past Cyclone Stereo, probably gone 15 years now

We took the kids a couple of summers ago to Newton's Valle Drive-In a couple of summers ago, it was a good time. Go early, it fills up fast! Usually runs a double feature (42 and IronMan 3 right now.) Get on their email list and get regular notice of what's showing.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

West Lincoln Way, right at the Boone County line. There's an Anytime Fitness and some self-storage units there now.

iatranc001.jpg
iatranc002.jpg

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
It was a good time and I hope they can do it a couple times each year.

I wonder what it costs to license a movie for something like that.

They should be able to make the $$ back up in concessions, did you see those lines? It was at least a 30 min wait.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
I remember going to the West Ames drive-in to see Terminator 2 and The Doors. The weather was OK for the first movie (Terminator), but a summer shower broke out halfway through The Doors, and we could barely see the screen for 5 or 10 minutes.

Still, it was a pretty cool experience.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
I wish they had done more to make it an Iowa State event. They showed Cyclone slides on the video board before the game, but then, just showed the movie. There was a table with Cyclone posters, but not even a welcome or invitation to join the Jr. Cyclone Club. It would have been awesome to have Coach Rhoads, even on video, welcome everyone and say that he is "soooo proud of our Jr. Cyclones!" A little something like that would have gone a long way in terms of PR.

All in all, it was a great success. Tons of people, everyone having a great time. Even kids (and their dads) throwing footballs around the field. Hope they do it again.

Great suggestions. I hope the ISU staff are reading this board and take your ideas under consideration. We went with my in-laws from Slater, and the kids had a great time. Moses and I had already seen the movie, but Mom hadn't seen it yet.

The lines for concessions were long, but considering that they had no idea how many people were going to show up, I thought it was pretty impressive that they had ANY concessions available. Next time, they'll have a better handle on how many stands to have open.

"Remember the Titans" would be a logical follow-up. My brother in law had a good idea: Have an animated movie like "Wreck it Ralph" first, then have another movie "for the parents". Not a Hard-R comedy like "Slap Shot" (no way in hell ANYONE should allow their kids to watch that movie, unless it's edited down to 40 minutes or so), but something more appealing to a post-elementary school crowd. Not that WIR had that problem, I thought it was a pretty good movie for animation, and the old video game references were pretty cool.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
They should be able to make the $$ back up in concessions, did you see those lines? It was at least a 30 min wait.
The concession lines were my one complaint (they ran out of popcorn one person before me after the looooong wait), but I'm sure they just didn't have any idea how many people to expect.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
We took the grandkids and had a very good time. I think Kevin Jackson and family were a couple of blankets in front of us. It was a great idea and very fun - great way to get kids in Jack Trice. On a slightly different note - I wish my grass was half as nice as Jack Trice's grass.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
What were the concession prices like? We went to Hickory Park first and were full so didn't have any. Great idea to have water available for everyone.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
West Lincoln Way, right at the Boone County line. There's an Anytime Fitness and some self-storage units there now.

You don't know what you got till it's gone.

They (took away) paved (parked car movie) paradise, put up a self storage unit.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Had a fun time with a group of friends, was a great idea.

I'll second the idea for a more adult movie night as well in the future, even though this was still an enjoyable one to watch.

Next time they'll probably be prepared for more people, i dont think they were this time. Someone operating the traffic light at S16th wouldve gone a long, long way at the end of the night.

As for drive-ins, ive only ever been to one once, for Independence Day in 96. Kind of wish there was one in des moines still. On the plus side we have a sweet new dine-in brewery theater concept coming to merle hay mall. That could be awesome.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Had a fun time with a group of friends, was a great idea.

I'll second the idea for a more adult movie night as well in the future, even though this was still an enjoyable one to watch.

Next time they'll probably be prepared for more people, i dont think they were this time. Someone operating the traffic light at S16th wouldve gone a long, long way at the end of the night.

As for drive-ins, ive only ever been to one once, for Independence Day in 96. Kind of wish there was one in des moines still. On the plus side we have a sweet new dine-in brewery theater concept coming to merle hay mall. That could be awesome.

I watched quite a few as a kid...specifically remember happily watching a Star Trek movie out the back window with no sound while my parents watched The Natural out the front window. Funny now that The Natural is one of my favorite movies. The last one I watched was when a friend and I begged my parents to let us watch Total Recall successfully...that town now has a walmart where it used to be.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA

Since it was the first of it's kind, I would imagine they will plan accordingly for future events.

This is a great way to utilize unused space and get some revenue out of it! The possibilities are endless. If they can get it staffed properly, there could be movies every weekend, you could even have month-long themes; sci-fi month, animation month, suspense, horror, and in August, to fire us up for the season, football month, (besides Remember the Titans, you could watch Rudy, Any Given Sunday, or a number of others).

A couple-three decades ago, there used to be concerts at JTS, even a FarmAid show that went all day, (I worked security for that, what a day!). It's a great way to bring in a lot of talent and keep ticket prices low, 'cause of the ability to sell so many tix.