Motivator vs Head Coach...

cyfanatic1968

Mar 25, 2014
It has become crystal clear to me, after 7yrs, that JP hired a "motivator" rather than an organized head coach with a firm grasp of strategy (X's and O's), the ability to articulate his vision, and the ability to hire subordinates (OC/DC) to execute that vision.

CPR came in after the Chizik debacle and motivated Chizik's recruits to perform admirably - going 6-6 and winning a bowl game to finish the year 7-6. It has been downhill since.

4 OC's and 6 consecutive losing seasons later - where is ISU football? At what point do we acknowledge the obvious??? CPR has been a decent coordinator/motivator but doesn't appear to be a head coach. All the fluffy YouTube "I'm proud to be your coach" BS is great and feels good but that doesn't win football games.

We need a head coach that understands X's and O's (offense and defense), is organized, and has a clear vision. A head coach that can hire subordinates to faithfully follow and implement that vision and recruit the best players possible to fulfill that exact vision.

Take Hoiberg as an example - here is a person that played at all levels, played for several successful coaches while soaking up their knowledge - but more importantly is extremely intelligent, methodical, organized, calm, and built a staff that bought into his vision and helped him execute it - even if pieces of the staff changed. Yeah I know it's basketball - yada yada yada but the point remains the same.

I believe the Toledo and OSU games were lost at the hands of our coaching staff. I believe this staff has trouble identifying who should be on the field (Lanning and Warren) and making critical game-time adjustments. You can hammer Mangino but somebody (CPR) just hired him! I think 6 years of regression, losing, and 4 OC's tell me what I need to know about CPR and his ability to be the "CEO" of our program.

We have some talented atheletes but don't seem to have the coaching acumen necessary maximize that talent over 4 quarters - let alone an entire season.

Last edited:

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
We paid for on the job training for both Chizik and Rhoads. When you do that, you don't really know what you'll end up with.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It's rumored through coaching circles that Rhoads is a micro manager. Though your thread is repetitive there may be something there.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It's rumored through coaching circles that Rhoads is a micro manager. Though your thread is repetitive there may be something there.

I think there are life-cycles to football programs and there are times you need the rah-rah guy to get the energy flowing on the team, in the program and for the fanbase. I also think there has to be a transition to the "CEO" position once you've boosted the energy.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Belicik and Saban aretn't exactly singing fight songs. But they motivate. Knowing you are going to win 95% of the time and if you do not play your best you are failing that winning expectation is pretty motivating.
After watching 30 years of cyclone football....one conclusion I have is that there are a lot of dumb guys getting into coaching and getting a pretty good paycheck.

cyfanatic1968

Mar 25, 2014
Belicik and Saban aretn't exactly singing fight songs. But they motivate. Knowing you are going to win 95% of the time and if you do not play your best you are failing that winning expectation is pretty motivating.
After watching 30 years of cyclone football....one conclusion I have is that there are a lot of dumb guys getting into coaching and getting a pretty good paycheck.

Excellent observation - comparing Rhoads to Saban, Meyer, Belichik, etc...may be unfair - but if you look at Urban Meyer, as an example, he has been highly successful everywhere he's been: Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, Ohio State...Meyer has a system. In fact when Tom Herman left OSU and went to Houston (who is currently 10-0) - Urban Meyer was asked if he was worried about his offense since his OC (Herman) left...to paraphrase, Meyer said 'No...Tom came into our system'.

It is obvious Tom Herman learned a great deal from Urban Meyer.

Rhoads is a decent motivator and coordinator level coach - not a head coach.

Last edited:

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Opposite of Hoiberg. Hoiberg couldn't motivate a fly to fly.
But he knows baksetball better than I know how to forget birthdays.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Opposite of Hoiberg. Hoiberg couldn't motivate a fly to fly.
But he knows baksetball better than I know how to forget birthdays.

Can't imagine how the last 3 years would have been had it not been for Rhoads' motivation.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
We are a missed field goal and a play or two away from talking about potentially having a 7 win team vs. a schedule that consisted of 5 teams that, at one point, were in the top 6 ranked teams in the nation.

This program is loads better than it was last year and I think Rhoads finally has us moving up again.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
The only thing I really fault Paul on are personnel issues. Glaringly the Offensive Coordinator position, but also the on field personnel. When he has talented players they perform. The decision to go to smaller Olinemen was absolute lunacy and he has paid for it in L's.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
It has become crystal clear to me, after 7yrs, that JP hired a "motivator" rather than an organized head coach with a firm grasp of strategy (X's and O's), the ability to articulate his vision, and the ability to hire subordinates (OC/DC) to execute that vision.

CPR came in after the Chizik debacle and motivated Chizik's recruits to perform admirably - going 6-6 and winning a bowl game to finish the year 7-6. It has been downhill since.

4 OC's and 6 consecutive losing seasons later - where is ISU football? At what point do we acknowledge the obvious??? CPR has been a decent coordinator/motivator but doesn't appear to be a head coach. All the fluffy YouTube "I'm proud to be your coach" BS is great and feels good but that doesn't win football games.

We need a head coach that understands X's and O's (offense and defense), is organized, and has a clear vision. A head coach that can hire subordinates to faithfully follow and implement that vision and recruit the best players possible to fulfill that exact vision.

Take Hoiberg as an example - here is a person that played at all levels, played for several successful coaches while soaking up their knowledge - but more importantly is extremely intelligent, methodical, organized, calm, and built a staff that bought into his vision and helped him execute it - even if pieces of the staff changed. Yeah I know it's basketball - yada yada yada but the point remains the same.

I believe the Toledo and OSU games were lost at the hands of our coaching staff. I believe this staff has trouble identifying who should be on the field (Lanning and Warren) and making critical game-time adjustments. You can hammer Mangino but somebody (CPR) just hired him! I think 6 years of regression, losing, and 4 OC's tell me what I need to know about CPR and his ability to be the "CEO" of our program.

We have some talented atheletes but don't seem to have the coaching acumen necessary maximize that talent over 4 quarters - let alone an entire season.

DMac's Recruits.....and some CPR recruits along with some Chizik recruits.

For the umpteenth time. QUIT repeating the Lie that Chizik was some great recruiter. Chizik had some good wll known recruits, but the majority were busts. I have gone through the numbers and yet people keep repeating the lie.

Name one decent QB recruit, or RB recruit, or WR recruit that Chizik had.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
DMac's Recruits.....and some CPR recruits along with some Chizik recruits.

For the umpteenth time. QUIT repeating the Lie that Chizik was some great recruiter. Chizik had some good wll known recruits, but the majority were busts. I have gone through the numbers and yet people keep repeating the lie.

Name one decent QB recruit, or RB recruit, or WR recruit that Chizik had.

Everyone knows that games are won in the trenches bro.

Yankee14

Aug 24, 2011
Frisco, TX
Excellent observation - comparing Rhoads to Saban, Meyer, Belichik, etc...may be unfair - but if you look at Urban Meyer, as an example, he has been highly successful everywhere he's been: Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, Ohio State...Meyer has a system. In fact when Tom Herman left OSU and went to Houston (who is currently 10-0) - Urban Meyer was asked if he was worried about his offense since his OC (Herman) left...to paraphrase, Meyer said 'No...Tom came into our system'.

It is obvious Tom Herman learned a great deal from Urban Meyer.

Rhoads is a decent motivator and coordinator level coach - not a head coach.

This is unfair and ridiculous. This is unrealistic. It's Iowa State football. Even if we caught lightening in a bottle, your genius new head coach would move on in two years time. Then it's back to square one. How many times can JP consistently catch lightening in a bottle? I'm not saying that I'm happy with the season and the last couple of years, but c'mon man..

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You can do both...I think Hayden Fry was in that department. There were little wrinkles he did to change the culture and make his football team exciting, while also having a plan.

The motivation made things exciting in some games, but it shows where the plan fell short when the other team gets settled in and simply executes while ISU either seemed to go away from what was working, or doesn't adapt to the other teams' adjustments. I thought this past Saturday was a prime example.

Games like Texas Tech and Toledo seemed to be in the 'neither' category.

acody

Nov 25, 2006

Agree with all points. There's been way too much mileage banked from a couple post game locker room speeches that went viral.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You can do both...I think Hayden Fry was in that department. There were little wrinkles he did to change the culture and make his football team exciting, while also having a plan.

The motivation made things exciting in some games, but it shows where the plan fell short when the other team gets settled in and simply executes while ISU either seemed to go away from what was working, or doesn't adapt to the other teams' adjustments. I thought this past Saturday was a prime example.

Games like Texas Tech and Toledo seemed to be in the 'neither' category.

What are you talking about little wrinkles. He is a giant wrinkle. :) lol