Most random encounter with ISU athlete?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
A story about my buddy. He and his wife are eating at a restaurant, and in walks Gene Chizik, newly hired. Heads back toward one of the private rooms. My buddy has his Cyclones hat with him, and corners Chizik to get his signature, which he did. When he gets back to the table his wife asks, "So what was your son's name?" Busted. He has three daughters.

• Funny
Reactions: LindenCy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Took a flight out of DSM on Sunday after the TCU game. I sit next to an older couple. He sees my ISU gear and says something about "they honored me and my guys at the game yesterday." Then, the light bulb goes on. It is Johnny Majors. So, we talk ISU football for a while. And then he starts griping (football coach voice) about there not being a Sports section in the newspaper from the hotel. I tell him I have an online subscription, so he reads the Register Sports section on my laptop, grunting and pointing when he wants me to scroll up or down. But he keeps griping (football coach voice) about not having the Sports section to take with him. I end up sending him the whole weekend's worth of Ames Tribunes and DM Registers. It was an awesome privilege.

My parents ran into Johnny Majors several times that weekend at their hotel. He told some good stories!

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Walked into a house party my freshman year to a large guy being held up, by multiple people, doing a keg stand. Once they put him down, realized it was Jarod Homan.
I held Homan and Vroman for a keg stand both at my house, no lie.

Reactions: srjclone

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
As far as random goes...Walking through Black Engineering one day. Passed by Skoglund. He really is a 7-footer.
The most surprising part of this story is "walking through Black Engineering"... that building was open? I though it was one of those buildings that are just there for show haha

• Funny
Reactions: srjclone
L

LincolnWay187

Someone please.have a story with the Greek being a ladies man or eating burritos

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Freshman year I made friends with most of the offensive line. It was comforting to know that when we went out to a house party I wouldn't be messed with.

One party they threw over the summer was quite eventful. The basketball team ended up showing up. Beat Georges in beer pong and Matt Thomas ended up getting a DUI that night.

Said offensive line friends show up to a party I threw the weekend before school started sophomore year. They brought a certain fiery center who proceeded to pour gasoline in my dumpster and light fireworks off in to the dumpster. Needless to say the cops showed up and cut short what was an absolute banger. I was not happy.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
In March of 2000, a large, white Mercedes sedan pulls into Kum & Go next to Welch Ave. Station, a day or two after the blarge. It looks out of place next to rusted Chevy Berettas and Geo Metros. Out of the driver's seat steps Marcus Fizer. "Well ****, that answers that question."

• Funny

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Ran into Royce White at the West Hyvee. I was in a hurry and he was looking at items on a shelf. When he saw me walking towards him, he got our of the way as I said excuse me. I knew who he was, but didn't chat as I was a little star struck.

Saw several coaches while living in Ames after school. Hoiberg, Burnham, etc.

I tend to not walk up and talk to players/coaches as I sometimes think they just want to be left alone.

• Agree
Reactions: kkise

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
I saw Iowa State athletes at high school parties a couple times. Kind of cool and weird at the same time.

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
Freshman year I made friends with most of the offensive line. It was comforting to know that when we went out to a house party I wouldn't be messed with.

One party they threw over the summer was quite eventful. The basketball team ended up showing up. Beat Georges in beer pong and Matt Thomas ended up getting a DUI that night.

Said offensive line friends show up to a party I threw the weekend before school started sophomore year. They brought a certain fiery center who proceeded to pour gasoline in my dumpster and light fireworks off in to the dumpster. Needless to say the cops showed up and cut short what was an absolute banger. I was not happy.
I'm picturing a drunk Tom Farniok... am I close? lol

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

Definitely Farniok

Dang it jc

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Not an ISU big name but it happened at ISU:

I had a lecture in the big lecture hall in Curtiss Hall so I used to go in through the back stairwell in the southeast corner to avoid all of the traffic. One day I walked through the parking lot and opened the door to be greeted by several black suited Secret Service agents. I thought I was going to get tackled. I had managed to run into presidential candidate and sitting VPOTUS George H. W. Bush as he was leaving the building. We exchanged quick hellos as they whisked him away.

That was the start of my streak of meeting or at least being in the same room with each U.S. President. I have yet to extend that streak with our current POTUS.
Winner was for the last sentence. :D

Reactions: VeloClone

mganzeveld

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Rapids
Ran into Derrick Clark at a movie theater when we were both students. We went to the same high school so it wasn't totally random. The most random? Running into Mangino digging food out of a vending machine at the Grand Stay hotel off Duff. But then again, who would be surprised to see him pulling a candy bar (or maybe two) out of the tray?

• Funny

istatefan

Dec 21, 2007
Ames, Iowa
I took a softball class spring semester of 1998 for fun. The first day of class was in a basketball gym due to inclement weather (it's Iowa in March). Before class, I am sitting against a wall studying and notice a couple of tall guys walk in, but don't pay much attention. One of them picks up a plastic softball and dunks it. Impressed, I say "you should play basketball". He smiles and says "Thanks". In the time it takes (mili-seconds) to go from impressed to embarrassed, I realized that I had just told Marcus Fizer that he should play basketball. Martin Rancik was in the class as well, but I didn't make the same mistake twice.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
In March of 2000, a large, white Mercedes sedan pulls into Kum & Go next to Welch Ave. Station, a day or two after the blarge. It looks out of place next to rusted Chevy Berettas and Geo Metros. Out of the driver's seat steps Marcus Fizer. "Well ****, that answers that question."

I wonder if it was the same night, but I remember Fizers rookie year inwas at that Kum and Go and noticed a tall guy looking at the adult magazines....it was him. I remember thinking "wow, you came back to Ames for THIS?"

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Here is my quick sotry. I was at the Tim Floyd basketball camp, summer of 1998 when I was 13. My coach was Marcus Fizer (coming off his All-Big 12 Freshman year). Fizer also had to be the supervisor on our dorm floor in Friley that week, which wasn't the best of ideas. My roommate Kyle had brought a Sam's Club-sized box of Famous Amos cookies for the week. Fizer is introducing himself to all of the rooms and he peeks in our room and sees this box of cookies, "Them some Famous Amos?" he asked. We nodded. "Hold on, I'll be right back."

Fizer left the room and returned three minutes later with a VHS tape in his hand. "Give me that box of cookies and I will trade you this tape to watch," Fizer said. I was all of about 5 feet and 100 pounds at the time and my roommate was not much bigger. We couldn't refute this giant of a man, so we obliged. Fizer grabbed the box of cookies and handed us the tape, "Bring that back when you are done with it," Fizer said. We put the tape in and it was the season highlights from the 1997-1998 season--it lasted 5 minutes. The most memorable highlight of that forgettable year was a Paris Corner half-court shot.

I went to return the tape a half hour later. I knocked on the door and walked in to see Fizer talking on a dorm phone with his shirt off, a mess of Famous Amos wrappers on the floor, and a 50 pound barbell in his hand. He nodded without saying a word when we put the tape back on his TV. That was the extent of the interaction I had with him all week.

Bottom line: Marcus Fizer is a big fan of Famous Amos cookies.

I guess that's not what I was expecting to be on the tape...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron