Most random encounter with ISU athlete?

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
New Year’s Eve 1998 living in Chicago my wife and I went out for a nice dinner at Bistro Zinc on the north side (Southport): Certainly not Rush Street or the other trendier areas back then: Anyway; at some point I look to the table next to us and it’s Tim Floyd, Jerry Krause and Gar: I didn’t bug them until we were walking out and they were waiting for their car: Tim was very eager to talk about ISU; Larry; and gave me a heads up on a new mid year transfer (Horton):

Reactions: Angie

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Not really random as I worked at a gas station in Ames during college, so would have a bunch of athletes come in various times. The ones I remember were Jiri Hubalek, Jamaine Billups, Stevie Hicks, and Brent Curvey. All nice guys from what I remember.

Reactions: Angie

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Father daughter dance - Damian Staple was there with his daughter.

I was in a golf tournament with Chuck Long this summer. Got my picture with him and sent to all my Iowa buddies. They were jealous. And for the record, Chuck is a nice guy and talks highly of ISU. Of course being in charge of the Iowa games and living in Ames he kinda has to.

• Creative
Reactions: hansen55 and Angie

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Episode I:

It's very late in Ames.

We're rather drunk.

Wise gas station attendant: "You guys can't use the bathroom"

Jamaal Tinsley: "It's cool, they're with me."

We use the bathroom.

We were not actually "with" Jamaal Tinsley or had ever spoken to him.

Episode II:

We're at Paddies or Sips or whatever it was called that month.

We're on the dance floor with two rather attractive blonde coeds.

We spot Jamaal Tinsley.

Jamaal Tinsley is now dancing with two rather attractive blonde coeds. We are no longer on the dance floor.

Episode III:

ISU alums vacationing in Miami.

Jamaal Tinsley is suspended for behavior issues from the Indiana Pacers and has also found his way to the same Miami beach bar scene rather than traveling with the Pacers.

We yell "GO CYCLONES!" and he yells back "MY MAN".

----

Thus ends my Jamaal Tinsley encounters thus far. Overall it's a great trilogy I will always cherish. Probably the bathroom access was the best.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
After a hard summer's day of work converting our new team bus we stop at a deserted West Town Pub. While in there getting a late night drink and talking with the owner I see a new ISU freshman who just got on campus walking toward the bar. I am thinking to myself, "I know you aren't old enough, what are you doing kid?" He pokes his head in the door and asks if they are still serving food. When told no he promptly walked out. "Good job, kid!" I had to tell everyone else that he was going to be a really good player for us and his name was Georges Niang.

I always wanted to tell @GeorgesFan that story.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I saw Tim Floyd next to Beardshear hall, pretty early in the morning. I was a bit light headed from the previous evening's festivities and blurted out "what in the hell are you doing on campus? Must be in trouble!" He just smirked and kept walking; I was quite pleased with my wittiness.

Got back to the apartment about five hours later and told my roommate "you're never going to guess who I saw on campus this morning." He told me to be quiet because he was watching the press conference as the new coach of the Bulls was being introduced.

sweaty7

Nov 8, 2008
Charlottesville, VA
2nd or really 3rd degree one here, but about 15 years ago, I was living in Omaha & went out drinking with a buddy. He was meeting up with some girl who was bringing a friend so I got wingman duties. The friend was nice, but she informed me really early on that she was married. Still, I'm polite & kept talking to her, especially when she tells me she lived in Ames. I told her I went there & I asked if she went to many games there. She gets a weird look on her face and says, "Yeah, my last name is Hoiberg. I'm married to Fred's brother." I don't think I've ever been more excited to talk to a woman at a bar without the possibility of sex.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Member of a “club” in which Johnny was a annual guest speaker. Johnny joined me at the bar, and after a few - Johnny mentioned “let’s get a picture” - awesome pic, awesome man. We met at that bar for three more years. The man was awesome to sit with. Never forget.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Matt Blair. I was working out in State Gym early on a Saturday. An older gentleman approached me and asked if I could help him find the football office. It was Matt's dad. I took his dad, mom and brother to the office and met Matt and Johnny Majors. Super family. Later, when Matt played intermural BB, he always took the time to stop and say hi to me. And yes, I am old.

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
Right in the middle of Seneca's Heisman hype in 2002, he walked into Jimmy John's as I was leaving. He said to his buddy, "man, it smells good up in here!". I gave him a head nod in agreement, he smiled at me, and I left. Unfortunately, that's the best I've got.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Met Fred Hoiberg all by himself picking up some asparagus for his family. I only bothered him for a minute. Extremely nice fellow.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
We were down in Florida several years ago, got on the train at the airport and several Cyclone football players got on in their ISU sweats. Bunch of them going home for Thanksgiving. Don't even remember who they all were. Flashed my ISU shirt, high-fived them all and went on with our vacation!

Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

Flynn4Heisman

Mar 24, 2006
Ran into Rashon Clark at the Merle Hay Mall GameStop just before his senior year.

Used to see RJ Sumrall all the time at the Casey's in Johnston I worked at in college. He was working at the YHMA building a couple blocks away. We'd talk a lot, and very friendly guy.

Went back to Casey's as a second job while trying to get my IT career off the ground, and Cory Morrisey came in a few times this past couple months. Training to be a cop after retiring from football (Ravens practice squad he said? Maybe just training camp).

Met Austen Arnaud's father at Kum and Go in Urbandale during summer of 2008.

Used to run into Allen Lazard all the time at Urbandale Hy-Vee his senior year of High school. Then again, everyone did back then (does this story count?).

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Graduated high school with Tim Floyd's daughter. There was a group project where she borrowed a book my mom had checked out for us from the ISU library. The book went overdue, and I made one of the most nervous phone calls ever to see if she had it.

Drove up on Jamaal Tinsley just after he'd driven into a lightpole on Mortensen and Elwood. Saw him back up from the pole, look at me for a second, then drive off. I think he got arrested a couple days later?

Back before the Capital City League there was a summer league in Ames all the players participated in at City Hall. I'd go watch them play and get their autographs on the Daily.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Summer 1985. In Hawaii with my brother on vacation. Walking around downtown Lahaina Maui wearing an ISU tee. Spot a couple older guys pointing and look around and it's Coach Jim Criner and the then current coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. I guess they were buddies.

Reactions: cyclones500

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
The night Royce White had his big birthday shindig at Hickory Hall or wherever, a couple of friends and I went to Perkins about 3:00 a.m. Royce and his friends came in about 3:15 a.m. and were seated at the table right behind us. We don't interact with him until we're leaving and I asked to shake his hand. He was really cool about it.

My friends and I get into the car about 4:00 and they immediately asked me who Royce White was. Our friendships ended at 4:01.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Backed my car into Clint Varley’s (reserve for ISU basketball in early 2000’s) car in the parking lot of Kum & Go on Welch and he and Jamaal Tinsley got out out and we talked everything through.

Help Support Us

Become a patron