Morgan Spurlock, who lived on McD's for 30 days, dies at 53.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yeah he later came out and revealed that he had been kind of a massive alcoholic for a long time, and one of the things his doctor said was that his liver was ******.
Makes sense. I thought it odd someone could pickle their liver in 21 days with McDonald's.

Reactions: khardbored

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Lots of kind people online calling him a fraud and pointing out battles with drugs and alcohol. Why? Social media will be our downfall. (well maybe one of many!)
The fact that he's a fraud does kind of need to be brought up. I think most people know about the movie. I think far fewer people knew that many of the claims are fraudulent.

I'm not going to pretend like McDonalds food is generally healthy. It's just not nearly as toxic as he was making it out to be.

My theory is that he made the movie just to get laid more by his vegan girlfriend.

Anyways, I do hope that he straightened himself out and I do feel for his family and friends.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
If it's not true then what are you actually shining a light on?
I doubt he set out to misinform. It just turned out that hard to manage mitigating factors influenced the narrative. Since those types tend to cling to denial, I imagine he also denied internally that he may not have been projecting a scientific outcome. But what sample of one is ever valid anyway? It’s the viewers’ duty to realize THAT much.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I doubt he set out to misinform. It just turned out that hard to manage mitigating factors influenced the narrative. Since those types tend to cling to denial, I imagine he also denied internally that he may not have been projecting a scientific outcome. But what sample of one is ever valid anyway? It’s the viewers’ duty to realize THAT much.
If you set out to make a documentary about health and don't disclose that you're a long time alcoholic that seems kind of important.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I'd wager that he sensed a chance to grift and charged ahead. It's not like he didn't know about his own drinking.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
I honestly don’t remember what his outcome was. I saw the doc when it was reasonably new. But all I remember it for is being novel and provocative.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Wait, you’re telling me a documentary peddling in shock value withheld some things??

Next you’re going to tell me To Make a Murderer wasn’t 100% truthful

The legacy of Supersize Me isn’t whether that was a controlled scientific experiment, it’s the awareness it brought to the general public about what was going on in the fast food industry at the time.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Apparently he was a raging alcoholic during filming, but kept that fact hidden. So the liver problems he had in the film were probably due to his alcoholism and not McDs. Supposedly others tried to repeat his McDs diet experiment and never experienced similar health effects as him in his film. I’m not here to defend the nutrition of their food but sounds like guy was a total fraud.

Pretty sure multiple women also later accused him of assault etc

In his partial defense

Who hasn't been an alcoholic and strung out on fast food?

I shall not cast the first stone

Help Support Us

Become a patron