Monday Musings: Four-year anniversary (share your story)

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I remember my wife thinking it was a "sexy" hire. Although in favor I was a little more sanguine, and wanted to see him coach. I was converted the first year, when even though we were struggling we knew there were better days ahead. Basketball was fun to watch again.

That first Hoiberg team was surprisingly fun to watch. Even though they weren't very good I remember rarely feeling they were completely out of games. If there had been ANYBODY beyond Godfrey on that bench to spot the starting 5, I think they could have made at least an NIT run that first year.

And really it was the exact opposite of the previous year's McD team: no expectations and a lot of fun to watch.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
This was my initial reaction as well. I think it didnt help that people behind the scenes were leaking that we were getting all sorts of major interest for this job, and then we went out and hired a guy with no experience. We needed this hire to go well, and this was a huge risk when the program was in such a terrible place. Obviously it paid off.

I think most people warmed up pretty quickly though. After his speech and the reactions you heard from players, you knew this had a chance of actually being something good.

Were we though? My recollection was that the best-case scenarios were assistants from bigger programs or someone with baggage like Gillespie. I cant think of any names floated out that would have really moved the needle in terms of fan interest.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
This was my initial reaction as well. I think it didnt help that people behind the scenes were leaking that we were getting all sorts of major interest for this job, and then we went out and hired a guy with no experience. We needed this hire to go well, and this was a huge risk when the program was in such a terrible place. Obviously it paid off.

I think most people warmed up pretty quickly though. After his speech and the reactions you heard from players, you knew this had a chance of actually being something good.

I thought Pollard said Hoiberg was his first and only phone call regarding the opening...

The people behind the scenes must have been feeding you/whoever bad info. I am curious as to who exactly was also interested in taking the opening though.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The 2010-2011 team was the most fun to watch .500 basketball team I've ever seen.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I think it didnt help that people behind the scenes were leaking that we were getting all sorts of major interest for this job, and then we went out and hired a guy with no experience. We needed this hire to go well, and this was a huge risk when the program was in such a terrible place. Obviously it paid off.
My memory is exactly the opposite. I wasn't disappointed, but I remember my primary reaction was "beggars can't be choosers." We were definitely beggars in those days. Some of the up and coming names back then (Greg Gard, Brian Gregory) were really uninspiring.

I do recall wondering if Pollard gave Gillispie any consideration.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
The day McDermott left one of my colleagues asked who Iowa State should hire. My first and only thought was CFH. He tried to argue with me that he had no experience. Said didn't care. He knows BB, proven winner on court and off, and would jack up the fans like crazy. Mine I hate being right.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
When I first heard the news, I was shocked and very excited. I couldn't stand McDermott. Although after reading sports blogs, I got nervous about it because there were a lot of people unhappy about it. I didn't read blogs a whole lot back then, but that is when I learned not to care what anyone else, especially random people online, thought.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
My memory is exactly the opposite. I wasn't disappointed, but I remember my primary reaction was "beggars can't be choosers." We were definitely beggars in those days. Some of the up and coming names back then (Greg Gard, Brian Gregory) were really uninspiring.

I do recall wondering if Pollard gave Gillispie any consideration.

I honestly don't think so, but it's not like it was a completely crazy thought at the time. Clearly the Texas Tech AD thought it made some sense.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I think my reaction was best described as that feeling you get as you rode up the first hill on a rollercoaster for the first time...I wasn't sure if it was going to be awesome, or if I was going to end up pooping my pants, but it was definitely going to be something different from anything I had ever been thru before.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Were we though? My recollection was that the best-case scenarios were assistants from bigger programs or someone with baggage like Gillespie. I cant think of any names floated out that would have really moved the needle in terms of fan interest.

Im just remembering reporting, which might have shaped people's view, doesnt mean the reporting was accurate.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Fred said all the right things at the conference.

* Made it a point to publicly state he was intent on keeping TJ
* Let it be known that Grayer would have a place (even though that didn't end up being the case)

- And having Gary Thompson out front praising the hire - as well as JP noting his direct involvement in the process - certainly added some weight to the decision.

And it don't think it was all that long that he hired Bobby Lutz - maybe 5-6 weeks? That eased a lot of peoples minds in terms of having the experience on the bench. We were going to keep the recruiting channels in place and have a seasoned, experienced coach to guide the Mayor.

Little did we know....

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i think almost all schools and fans are in denial about the kind of coach they can attract. schools like oregon, arizona, maryland, marquette, etc have all hired their 2nd, 4rd, 5th choice, even with $$$$$/tradition/recruiting advantages behind them.

JP was/is ahead of his time in how to bring in the right coach. what a complete homerun hire. i think in 2010 i was in denial about how bad things were going to get, and today i'm in disbelief how good things are going to become.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I remember thinking both "Wow!" and "Hmm, I'm not so sure about this..." But within about 24 hours (and probably after watching clip of press conference), I decided, you know, this is just crazy enough to work.

Plus, there really weren't that many viable coaches available, if I recall. I remember wanting Kruger (if he was even a true candidate). If nothing else, i assumed fans would be patient because we'd want him to succeed.

As others have suggested, I figured even if Hoiberg got things rolling again, it might take 3 years before we'd see a tournament bid.

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale
I kept three straight days of the newspaper. The day McD left, the next day Fred was hired, and the next day he was introduced. I had a pretty good feeling let's say, but I'm guessing so did everyone that was in school the same years as him.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I forgot just how fast that whole thing went. When JP retires and writes his memoirs it will be fascinating to hear just how long the Hoiberg hire was in the works. In retrospect it seems pretty obvious that was the plan all along once the time finally came to move on from McD.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I remember thinking both "Wow!" and "Hmm, I'm not so sure about this..." But within about 24 hours (and probably after watching clip of press conference), I decided, you know, this is just crazy enough to work.

Plus, there really weren't that many viable coaches available, if I recall. I remember wanting Kruger (if he was even a true candidate). If nothing else, i assumed fans would be patient because we'd want him to succeed.

As others have suggested, I figured even if Hoiberg got things rolling again, it might take 3 years before we'd see a tournament bid.

If I remember, BIlly Gillispie was a "hot" name...thank you, thank you, thank you that didn't happen.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Fred said all the right things at the conference.

* Made it a point to publicly state he was intent on keeping TJ
* Let it be known that Grayer would have a place (even though that didn't end up being the case)

- And having Gary Thompson out front praising the hire - as well as JP noting his direct involvement in the process - certainly added some weight to the decision.

And it don't think it was all that long that he hired Bobby Lutz - maybe 5-6 weeks? That eased a lot of peoples minds in terms of having the experience on the bench. We were going to keep the recruiting channels in place and have a seasoned, experienced coach to guide the Mayor.

Little did we know....

I always wonder who JP consults with when making decisions? Meaning, obviously he talks to his bosses, attorneys, and such...but I always wonder how much weight "big donors" play into this stuff? Just a random thought.

JP is a gambler...and that's why I like him. Honestly, McD was a homerun hire when he was hired...same with Chizz.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
If I remember correctly, Fred really campaigned (privately) for the job when McDermott was hired and JP listened but just thought it wasn't the right time or that he didn't have enough experience. I think even JP talked about this?
Anyway, I think after the Chizik fiasco and the McDermott bomb, he knew fit was probably as important as anything at ISU and remembered what Fred said previously. How could the Mayor not "fit" at ISU.
I remember being extremely excited but a little apprehensive because if he failed, his image/history at ISU would be damaged. But I was not going to surprised if he succeeded, he is much too smart and determined.....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron