Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
As an outsider who hasn't really followed ISU football that closely (but will start to now that I work at ISU), I don't think the program is in as bad a place as some of you are making it out to be, but maybe I'm just optimistic. In my unbiased opinion I think ISU wins between 4-6 games this Fall.

I think Mangino is a great hire at OC, but as others have mentioned he only signed a two year contract and I don't see him staying any longer than that - either he's successful and takes a new job or is mediocre and doesn't get an extension. I'm hoping for the first option and that the offense turns the corner and can put up some points.

I also think that if ISU wants to improve the branding thing is HUGE: Stadium upgrades - I know the one endzone will be renovated next year, but after that I think you have to look at a new pressbox (the current one is an eyesore IMO and makes the stadium look outdated); why not try uniform upgrades - I know almost everyone is going to the chrome helmets and crazy uniform combos so it's hard to set yourself apart, but kids seem to like that stuff and if it helps recruiting, why not try it?

Couldn't agree more.

I too think if Mangino has much success here, he will be gone, so we shouldn't count on him as being the savior. However, hopefully he can get us off in the right direction in two years time offensively.

As for upgrades, you are correct. Outside of maybe KU, we have the worst stadium in the conference. Yes, JP has done basically everything he can with what he's got available to help improve it, but it's not keeping up with the rest of the league IMO.

However, some of the upgrades could be done inexpensively too. Just painting the place would help tremendously. Our stands look like pink and faded yellow. And then how about some signage too? Those huge ugly structures holding up the new scoreboard in the north endzone should all be covered, front and back, with some ISU signage of some kind IMO.

And the uniforms of course should be changed too. Add some spice to the mix. Nearly every school, except for a few like Penn State and Alabama, are now marketing themselves brilliantly. You would think this would be right up JP's alley, but yet, he wants to establish some kind of "brand identity" for some unknown reason?

Oregon has become a national power, and they change their uniform every single game. They have become a "cool" place to play because of that fact. I realize they have Phil Knight in their corner, and we don't, but still, take as much advantage of the marketing thing that you possibly can IMO.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Been a huge fan since 1969 -- in time everyone will realize ISU will never win anything of significance in FB. Best to just enjoy the games we do win. There will be NO Championships of any kind -- and CPR will be replaced in 3-4 years to create false hope once again -- repeat cycle.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Been a huge fan since 1969 -- in time everyone will realize ISU will never win anything of significance in FB. Best to just enjoy the games we do win. There will be NO Championships of any kind -- and CPR will be replaced in 3-4 years to create false hope once again -- repeat cycle.

I fear that you are dead on.

I'm not sure it's possible for an Iowa State to compete in football year in and year out in the Big 12? We have never proven the ability to do so. As you say, it's basically win a big game here or there to keep people's juices flowing, and then every 5 years or so, hire a different head coach to create more "hope" until the next coach comes along.

That has been the pattern basically. The only thing keeping life in this program right now is it's ability to every once in a while beat Iowa, or pull off a big win against a highly ranked Big 12 team every now and then.

And of course, nobody knows when we might be able to pull something off like this, so people attend the games so they can say they were there when it happened. Nobody wants to miss out on the next possible upset of the #2 team in the country again. Even though it's more likely we will lose by 40 to such a team, there's always that chance that we can pull off that upset, and so people come to the games hoping to witness it.

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
Obviously the football budget is different but at Oregon they had a one time only SPRING GAME UNIFORM this year. And guess who noticed this? SportsCenter. Free advertising and exposure!! Guess who watches SportsCenter and follows them on Twitter: every one who watches sports, especially recruits. Seriously they put more money/design/effort into their spring game uniform than what we do for our entire standard uniform.
ISU doesn't have to do an Oregon overhaul where they have 100+ uniform combinations. Maybe just make an alternate helmet and a couple alternate uniforms that you can wear every 2-3 games to switch things up a bit. Something to make the uniforms look less like USC and be unique to ISU.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
ISU doesn't have to do an Oregon overhaul where they have 100+ uniform combinations. Maybe just make an alternate helmet and a couple alternate uniforms that you can wear every 2-3 games to switch things up a bit. Something to make the uniforms look less like USC and be unique to ISU.

I agree. I was using the Oregon Spring Game uniforms as an example and I also prefaced the statement with acknowledging their budget destroys our's.

One thing that has always annoyed me about the football uniforms is the gray facemask. Does this annoy anyone else? It makes the helmet ugly and boring and it doesn't blend with the cardinal and gold at all.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Mangino was head coach at Kansas for 8 years and they had one year over .500 in conference. Overall conference record was 23-41, pretty Rhoads-like except for one incredible year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I agree. I was using the Oregon Spring Game uniforms as an example and I also prefaced the statement with acknowledging their budget destroys our's.

One thing that has always annoyed me about the football uniforms is the gray facemask. Does this annoy anyone else? It makes the helmet ugly and boring and it doesn't blend with the cardinal and gold at all.

The best ISU uniforms I've seen at ISU since the Crutchfield era, was the Jack Trice throwback uniforms we wore against Iowa last year. Those were sick. I love the actual "gold" versus yellow.

Of course, if we go to true "gold", like we should, then we run the risk of looking like Florida State or Minnesota, however, I think our "cardinal" color would hopefully be different enough from their more maroon looking color.

But going back to our traditional "gold" would be a huge upgrade over the yellow IMO. And also, incorporate a little white into the uniform too IMO. Maybe just the numbers, or the outline around the numbers or something?

You have to admit these are pretty sick looking helmets.....

Football2Helmets.jpg

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Our football program sucks because our Head Coach sucks. The sooner everybody realizes that the better off we will be. Best thing I did last year was not renew season tickets, and I wont this year either. Cant wait for basketball!

If anyone else wishes to join Dedric in giving up their tickets, please post the seat locations. Some of us are looking to buy more. And you will be begging us for them later.

ChiefCy

Aug 4, 2008
Could have mentioned that during those Mac years of 12 teams and two divisions, I believe we were the only team that had to play Oklahoma and Texas in a single season rotation. Maybe Baylor too? Not defending the performance, but a little goes a long way and one more win in a few of those seasons could have helped level out the peaks and valleys.

No Kansas had same schedule and when came time to renew conf would not change it. Thought that totally sucked it was okay to continue screwing Ia State & Kansas rather than be fair or **** anybody else off.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Mangino was head coach at Kansas for 8 years and they had one year over .500 in conference. Overall conference record was 23-41, pretty Rhoads-like except for one incredible year.

And in that one year he missed the three top teams from the South. He played one ranked conference opponent and lost to them.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
If anyone else wishes to join Dedric in giving up their tickets, please post the seat locations. Some of us are looking to buy more. And you will be begging us for them later.

Haha NSIS... My Dad had 6 tickets last year and he was basically giving them away for the latter half of the season.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

How much later? I don't see much good happening here in the foreseeable future.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
OK Debbie Downers. Can we at least wait until the season starts before we jump off the bridge? Cub fans should be our role models.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Sure a lot of Debbie Downers on here today. I for one expect the offense to be much better with the Mangino at the helm. His record at KU was not great, but you have to remember how horrible KU was when he was hired. The other thing that you have to look at is how good his offenses were at KU, and OU, which is why ISU hired him. There were several games last year that even a 10% better offense would have resulted in a Clone victory.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
The idea that CPR is the ONLY coach that could EVER win at ISU is just insane. I love CPR, hope he's our coach for a long time but it's just dumb to think that no other coaches could succeed at ISU and a guy that has had one winning season in 4 is the absolute best ISU could ever do...it's just nonsense.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
The idea that CPR is the ONLY coach that could EVER win at ISU is just insane. I love CPR, hope he's our coach for a long time but it's just dumb to think that no other coaches could succeed at ISU and a guy that has had one winning season in 4 is the absolute best ISU could ever do...it's just nonsense.

I don't think people see him as the only guy who could win at ISU, so much as the only guy who can win and will want to stay here for a long time.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

I don't think people see him as the only guy who could win at ISU, so much as the only guy who can win and will want to stay here for a long time.

Luth: Plus stay here and be welcome here (hopefully) for long enough to build a foundation to get us out of the bottom tier of the big 12. The bold in the first quote is part of it. He's likable, and he's gotten farther than his unlikable predecessor. Yes, some coaches have turned programs around faster, but they had some advantages we don't have...Baylor is in Texas, etc. Look at Mangino at Kansas...that's a program that's where we have been...I'd like to think a little worse, but I'm too lazy to look...but he had 5 seasons of mediocre football before the 12-1 season...and that was 5 years in the split big 12. If we want to build a program that will last, I think it's going to take us sticking with some bumps to build a foundation...the hard part is knowing whether you're riding out some rough seas, or whether you're riding a sinking ship.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014

This. There's coaches who overachieve every single season. I'm not saying it's easy to find them, but they are out there. The hard part is getting them to come to Ames. ISU is a perennial losing program, located in a difficult recruiting area, and stuck in a tough conference. Sorry, but if my stock is rising as a head football coach I would stay the hell away from Ames. I'd go to a mid-major where I can consistently win until a bigger program with tradition that is located in a better recruiting area comes calling. It isn't easy to compete in the B12 when you are stuck with less talented players than pretty much every other team in the conference.

With that said, I think there are coaches out there who are confident enough to take that chance. The challenge is developing a system that is unique to ISU and makes players who fit that system want to come play in Ames because of it. Rhoads has had a revolving door on the offense. There hasn't been any consistency. That makes it tough when you're trying to sell your program to recruits.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron