Merged Covid Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Johnston going online starting Friday through at least Thanksgiving.

Understandable given the circumstances but still frustrating because I could see significant learning progress in the three weeks my daughter has been in-person learning. It feels like she learned more in those three weeks than she did the rest of the school year so far.

Easily. My oldest made huge, huge strides when in school. Like it or not Hybrid is a waste of time for my kids in all seriousness.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Was Ames fully in person?

No, we were hybrid. They tried to put us 100% in person starting this week, but decided last week to stay in hybrid, and then now swung back to 100% remote. We've not yet been 100% remote in Ames due to the metrics. I feel so bad for our teachers constantly pivoting.

Reactions: cyfanatic

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
No, we were hybrid. They tried to put us 100% in person starting this week, but decided last week to stay in hybrid, and then now swung back to 100% remote. We've not yet been 100% remote in Ames due to the metrics. I feel so bad for our teachers constantly pivoting.
The pivoting is difficult for everyone involved. Parents, teachers and students. The teachers have mostly done an excellent job given the circumstances. They all deserve one of those golden apple awards.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The pivoting is difficult for everyone involved. Parents, teachers and students. The teachers have mostly done an excellent job given the circumstances. They all deserve one of those golden apple awards.

I agree - I wish it were possible to give one to every single teacher who has had to do this!

Reactions: cyfanatic

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The teachers have done an admirable job. We have one child with an IEP and they do struggle with providing services for special ed. In addition some teachers struggle with the technology which results in some very clunky assignments. One continuously creates assignments in one program but the resulting work has to be turned in in another program which means that the assignment has to be essentially recreated by the student in the second program. The program doesn't appear to support cut and paste and split screen on their issued devices makes the text illegible. Sometimes if the teacher would once in a while actually do a sample of the work they are asking their students to do they might see how clumsy and difficult they are making it for them. My special needs kid spends much more time in that class on the mechanics of the assignments than on the actual learning work of them.

Be prepared for some uncomfortable changes to your kids' school world. My daughter has found some teachers who are notorious for not getting their assignments posted by class time. (She has some synchronous days and some asynchronous days. Synchronous means that she logs into each class at her assigned class time; asynchronous means that she can log on anytime that day and do her work. On asynchronous days all assignments are supposed to be posted no later than 10 am.) This teacher will regularly post the assignments after noon and occasionally well after.

Another change that has been hard to swallow is getting assignments that are due at midnight the same day they are assigned. When a teacher is late getting the assignment in and your kid has two sports practices that day it can make getting assignments done by midnight problematic. I'm not sure why this change in schooling model needs to include moving up the time that assignments are due. If something is assigned for a class it should be due no earlier than the next time that class meets.

Most teachers are doing a great job in a difficult learning environment, however it seems that some need more tech support and a few others need a not so gentle nudge that they need to be a little more on top of things if they are going to expect their students to be successful.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The teachers have done an admirable job. We have one child with an IEP and they do struggle with providing services for special ed. In addition some teachers struggle with the technology which results in some very clunky assignments. One continuously creates assignments in one program but the resulting work has to be turned in in another program which means that the assignment has to be essentially recreated by the student in the second program. The program doesn't appear to support cut and paste and split screen on their issued devices makes the text illegible. Sometimes if the teacher would once in a while actually do a sample of the work they are asking their students to do they might see how clumsy and difficult they are making it for them. My special needs kid spends much more time in that class on the mechanics of the assignments than on the actual learning work of them.

Be prepared for some uncomfortable changes to your kids' school world. My daughter has found some teachers who are notorious for not getting their assignments posted by class time. (She has some synchronous days and some asynchronous days. Synchronous means that she logs into each class at her assigned class time; asynchronous means that she can log on anytime that day and do her work. On asynchronous days all assignments are supposed to be posted no later than 10 am.) This teacher will regularly post the assignments after noon and occasionally well after.

Another change that has been hard to swallow is getting assignments that are due at midnight the same day they are assigned. When a teacher is late getting the assignment in and your kid has two sports practices that day it can make getting assignments done by midnight problematic. I'm not sure why this change in schooling model needs to include moving up the time that assignments are due. If something is assigned for a class it should be due no earlier than the next time that class meets.

Most teachers are doing a great job in a difficult learning environment, however it seems that some need more tech support and a few others need a not so gentle nudge that they need to be a little more on top of things if they are going to expect their students to be successful.

I know Ames has made allowances during hybrid for students on an IEP where they can come every day if they want, but I don't know if they can do that when it's 100% remote? It is crazy the amount of prep time it takes - we'll get assignments posted to Seesaw at 11:30 at night pretty well every night, and emails earlier, which means our KINDERGARTNER's teacher is even working that many hours. You'd think that just saying, "Here's a W, have at it" would be enough!

kcbob79clone

Last edited:
Reactions: aauummm

kcbob79clone

Reactions: simply1 and aauummm

kcbob79clone

Russian vaccine info FWIW

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Russian vaccine info FWIW

I'm surprised that Russia didn't claim a 90.5% efficacy rate. Just high enough to barely beat Pfizer and yet not high enough to cause skepticism. :)

Reactions: Acylum

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Status
Not open for further replies.