McKay not traveling to OSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Figured after McKay saying it would only be 1 game that it would be at least 2. Wonder if he would be playing Wednesday had he stayed off Twitter and didn't talk to the media.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I love the buttons Prohm has pushed this season. I honestly think this will be THE defining moment of the year. Hopefully for the better.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Glad this decision was made. I didn't think 1 game would make a difference.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
For his behavior on the basketball court and in practice, not for social media. You need to separate the two.

So are you saying he shouldn't be held accountable for the content on his social media? I don't buy that line of thinking, just because you say something on social media does not mean you aren't held accountable for it. I don't follow him on it but I've seen some of the stuff he's put there after it makes news or people here talk about it and he's said some pretty crazy stuff this past year. I don't get why he would share some of the things he has, it looks bad on him and bad for the team to have to deal with some of the fallout of the comments he's made.

It's like if you were to say something bad about your work situation in a manner that people know exactly what or who you are talking about. If your manager or coworkers happened to see it, there would likely be consequences or problems to deal with at work too as a result of what you said. That's one reason why I don't put where I work on my social media, I am careful who I friend, and I sure as hell don't ever post about anything that might get me in trouble at work if someone saw it. That's essentially what McKay did by undermining Coach Prohm with his "just 1 game" comment when they were calling it indefinate. There was no point in saying what he did and I'm guessing if there was a closed door conversation that it was only 1 game before he shared that it probably is not just a 1 game suspension anymore.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
When I saw Jameel tweeting "one game" as Prohm and the team were away, I thought I'd do the same thing if I were the coach (I also don't have all the facts that Prohm has, just principle of it).

Hopefully there are conversations happening outside of the coaches office between the players on moving forward as a group and what that looks like.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I love the buttons Prohm has pushed this season. I honestly think this will be THE defining moment of the year. Hopefully for the better.

The sad thing is we could still lose in the 1st round or go to the final four just as easily as we could have 3 months ago, 3 weeks ago, or 3 days ago...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think people are reading too much into his posting of the one game tweet. If a coach comes to me and tells me that I am suspended indefinitely and tells me exactly what I have to do (attitude) to end the suspension and that the end of the suspension is entirely up to me then it wouldn't be out of line for me to respond to the coach that I accept that and I will work hard to make sure it isn't more than the one game. If I told that to the coach and then turned around and said that it was going to be a one game suspension (because I realized my mistakes and was making amends) then why as a coach would you suspend that player for another game when you see him making an effort to immediately do what it takes to get back in the good graces?

We don't know that this is how it went, but we don't know it isn't either. Just knowledge that he posted that is incomplete information for people to say that they would immediately extend the suspension if they were the coach.

That being said, let's hope he is taking this to heart and we start seeing the same player who was D Player of the Year last year. If that guy starts showing up it is going to be a very interesting finish to the Big 12 season.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I like the way Prohm handles things. May cost us a win on Wednesday, but it's better for the long term. Glad Prohm is instilling some dicipline.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
When I saw Jameel tweeting "one game" as Prohm and the team were away, I thought I'd do the same thing if I were the coach (I also don't have all the facts that Prohm has, just principle of it).

Hopefully there are conversations happening outside of the coaches office between the players on moving forward as a group and what that looks like.

Agree. It is clear McKay, and maybe a couple others early on, didn't quite know the difference between liking and respecting the coach.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Figured after McKay saying it would only be 1 game that it would be at least 2. Wonder if he would be playing Wednesday had he stayed off Twitter and didn't talk to the media.

Agree with this 100%. Not a good idea to go on social media stating what the suspension will be, or talking to local media and putting your coach and the athletic department in something of a bad light by implying that the idefinite suspesion is not what they told you. That is just a lack of maturity (and common sense). Hopefully, Jameel will learn from this. We will never know what has been said between Prohm and McKay, and it is hard to fault what Prohm is doing in this situation.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Hopefully the team agrees with the decision and believe they can beat Tech without him

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hallice was benched one game suspension/one game ride the pine for missing partial practice.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
If Iowa State wins Wednesday and Burton looks good doing so, and McKay earns his way back onto the team, I will be interested to see who starts on Saturday.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think people are reading too much into his posting of the one game tweet. If a coach comes to me and tells me that I am suspended indefinitely and tells me exactly what I have to do (attitude) to end the suspension and that the end of the suspension is entirely up to me then it wouldn't be out of line for me to respond to the coach that I accept that and I will work hard to make sure it isn't more than the one game. If I told that to the coach and then turned around and said that it was going to be a one game suspension (because I realized my mistakes and was making amends) then why as a coach would you suspend that player for another game when you see him making an effort to immediately do what it takes to get back in the good graces?

We don't know that this is how it went, but we don't know it isn't either. Just knowledge that he posted that is incomplete information for people to say that they would immediately extend the suspension if they were the coach.

That being said, let's hope he is taking this to heart and we start seeing the same player who was D Player of the Year last year. If that guy starts showing up it is going to be a very interesting finish to the Big 12 season.

I don't believe people are reading into it too much at all. It was dumb for him to post it and given the information that the public knew on the surface it looked like he was undermining his coach. Social media is part of his problem, he should take a lesson from George and stay off it for awhile because he's caused plenty of chaos this season with some of the stuff he's posted. I thought WRNL did a good job showing some examples of that: http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2016/2/7/10930300/trying-to-make-sense-of-jameel-mckays-suspension What kind of reaction did he think he was going to get with some of that stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron